Keep it Simple Stupid

wetowne

I like simplicity, "Keep it Simple Stupid" is my motto so in that vein I decided to create a wireless streaming solution using the least amount of "moving parts", no PC, no cables, no interconnects at all.

My first goal was to eliminate the computer, to that end the heart of my solution is a good wireless router( Synology RT2600ac) with media server capability and with internal storage in the form of a micro-sd card slot. Computer gone.  Mission accomplished.

Next I would need a good wireless streaming device with a decent DAC implementation so I opted for the WTX-Micro Stream this allowed me to eliminate interconnect cables as it plugs directly into the amplifier. This streamer is fully UPnP/DNLA capable allowing me to stream both my local files from the router as well as subscription services using a single app on a tablet or phone.

So there you have it, Router/SD card--> Steamer--> Amp. Not a single wired connection anywhere in the chain and all controlled remotely by a tablet. If there is a simpler way than this please tell me about it.

• Like 2

A micro-sd card is actually very robust. I have one that went through a full cycle of our washing machine (2 hours and 20 minutes) because I had left it in my pocket and it is still functioning 100%.

I love the Advance Acoustic WTX Micro-Streamer. Been using it for more than six months and it is very reliable: only once I had issues (difficulty connecting), and then a reboot (power off and then power on again) fixed it right away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ILI_MeloManiac said:

A micro-sd card is actually very robust. I have one that went through a full cycle of our washing machine (2 hours and 20 minutes) because I had left it in my pocket and it is still functioning 100%.

I love the Advance Acoustic WTX Micro-Streamer. Been using it for more than six months and it is very reliable: only once I had issues (difficulty connecting), and then a reboot (power off and then power on again) fixed it right away.

I ripped most of my CD collection to flac files and I have a 200GB card that has 537 albums on it with 21 GB to spare. It was 26usd, a very economical solution. As for the Micro-Steamer I am very satisfied with it. I got it because both you and Hans Beekhuyzen recommended it, not easily found in the USA though, I had to order it from Amazon.de in Germany. It works flawlessly and sound very nice. It pairs very well with my Cambridge AudioAXA25 amp and my 43 year old Heresys. This is my setup 3 budget system and it rivals my two other setups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

... to a person who is not computer literate, this system doesn't sound so simple. I don't understand half of the terms used to describe the equipment used to simplify

Which terms would you like me to clarify?

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, wetowne said:

a good wireless streaming device with a decent DAC implementation

media server capability and with internal storage

UPnP/DNLA capable

This would be a start... I'm not computer literate....  I'm the stupid one here....please don't take offense. I don't know how to use an i-phone, either

1 minute ago, grasshopper said:

This would be a start... I'm not computer literate....  I'm the stupid one here....please don't take offense

"streaming device with a decent DAC implementation" simply means a device with a digital to analog converter built in.

"media server capability and with internal storage" You need a wireless router that has the ability to store your music files in it and to serve them to your streamer without a separate computer or storage device. 

"UPnP/DLNA capable" stands for universal plug and play it's just a protocol or standard that allows for the media server in the router to communicate with different devices in this case a streamer and use an applications of your choosing in this case a tablet running an app that controls everything.

The main point of my post was to show that streaming can be accomplished with only two pieces of hardware, an inexpensive router and an inexpensive small streamer that plugs directly into an amp without any cables. Here is pic of the tiny streamer, it has male RCA connectors built in. As far as I know it is the only streamer of it's kind.

nointerconnect.jpg

• Like 1

Another Newbie to this stuff. I know all about wireless routers but have never bought one that will accept an SD card. I know all about SD cards. So if I buy a wireless router that will accept an SD card I can easily fill the SD card with songs. If I buy a streamer with built in DAC that plugs into my receiver or amp I can easily tell the receiver or amp to "take your input from the input where the streamer resides." But how do I tell the streamer to "Go look at that wireless router and play the stuff that you find there"? That seems to need a screen, on a computer or elsewhere.

2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

... to a person who is not computer literate, this system doesn't sound so simple. I don't understand half of the terms used to describe the equipment used to simplify

- ‘Hopper is not the only one, ask me how I know. And for its apparent simplicity can you also put an estimated dollar amount on the components—

41 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

Another Newbie to this stuff. I know all about wireless routers but have never bought one that will accept an SD card. I know all about SD cards. So if I buy a wireless router that will accept an SD card I can easily fill the SD card with songs. If I buy a streamer with built in DAC that plugs into my receiver or amp I can easily tell the receiver or amp to "take your input from the input where the streamer resides." But how do I tell the streamer to "Go look at that wireless router and play the stuff that you find there"? That seems to need a screen, on a computer or elsewhere.

Not all routers have media servers built in and some with servers won't have card slots. Populating the server is easy enough you just dump everything into a directory usually called  music. A tablet running an app controls playback and volume. The app will usually support album artwork custom playlists and a few other features.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grasshopper said:

My "system is pretty basic. A vintage H/K630, a single disc cd player, a turntable, a male headphone plug to stream from the laptop and a pair of vintage LS.   Not very sophisticated, but neither am I.

I'm using my WTX MicroStreamer on my H/K 430 and my 1972 Heresy speakers. A formidable combination. Basically 'set and forget'.

There is one issue, though. Normally, you plug the wtx directly into the aux-in of the amp. However, the AUX sockets of the hk430 are not at standard distance (I guess the standard didn't exist back in the 70s), so the wtx won't fit. So you'd need a cable to connect the WTX to your h/k or you can do like me , because the hk430 only has one aux-in, I'm using a mechanical switch which is connected to my cd player and the wtx, and then goes out to the hk430. See the picture attached.

I don't use a complicated router, just the standard one.

I did test if it was possible to play the files that are on my Windows laptop, and it works.

PSX_20201204_094428.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pondoro said:

But how do I tell the streamer to "Go look at that wireless router and play the stuff that you find there"? That seems to need a screen, on a computer or elsewhere.

The WTX streamer is commanded with an app 'PlayStream' that you install on your smartphone or tablet. Your WTX and the Smartphone must be on the same wifi network, 2.4Ghz. As this is a media player router, the WTX will be able to communicate with it easily and play the files. Their Playstream app is actually pretty robust and stable. It also plays Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Qobus, Internet Radio etc. Your Smartphone or Tablet functions as the remote, it does not stream the music to the amp (like a bluetooth setup would).

The only problem I had with it was when Spotify did an update. The WTX automatically will update as well, and in the process, it will interrupt connection. The simple solution is to power off and power on the WTX again, to finalize the update.

• Like 1

That little streamer is actually a pretty elegant solution.  Nice!

Wireless isn't an option for me.  So, the set up here is slightly more complex. But for those who don't want or can't use Wi-Fi for this purpose, and your router isn't near your music setup, power line networking is a nice option.  Example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-powerline-av600-nano-adapter-starter-kit-white-white/2080136.p?skuId=2080136&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVggoAFmVyRFeA9k0STBzDZXUnCxdGpy-oIG0AJeoqIH3iw93q4WAPV5xoC6q4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This makes getting a hardwired internet signal to wherever in the home you need it, and it's easy to set up.  In any case, love the convenience that streaming my CD's and hi res files  brings to the listening experience.  

• Like 1