"hot" K-horns in iowa...

I hate to see the speakers in this condition..... I really hate that someone lost so much that was more valuable than speakers.

127535777_1205017756559310_9159279837027940023_o.thumb.jpg.86dab6f98d2b56f8c59c69d9b5c71837.jpg128569148_1205017769892642_2411228187679352624_o.thumb.jpg.4084c0013c67c55ac372266e1923a5f1.jpg

I bought a pair of LaScala from someone who cleaned up / cleaned out a place that had burned.

I cleaned them up some and played them, they played just fine. 

20160709_153524.thumb.jpg.578392c8c54800703c3a4bf3c540a521.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wetowne said:

Condition used-good, minor heat damage? Look at the water stains. You could never make those right again. 2000 firm? I'm sure he claimed a total loss on the insurance claim too.

I can hear the theme from the Man of LaMancha in the background............the only thing that is FIRM about those is the money I have NOT to buy them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wetowne said:

Condition used-good, minor heat damage? Look at the water stains. You could never make those right again. 2000 firm? I'm sure he claimed a total loss on the insurance claim too.

& "may need a new mid horn"... umm yeah, pretty sure that one isnt gonna work too well!

im sure the "firm" price will change real quick when nobody will touch these. im local to these & didnt even waste my time replying to the ad. 

For giggles, because I may be driving through CR in the future, what of these would be salvageable? If there is enough heat to melt the horn it could melt or soften adhesives in the drivers, toast the diaphragms and woofer cone, damage crossovers...

Not many components are designed to heat to 400-500 degrees (quick google of house fire temps near the floor).

2 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

For giggles, because I may be driving through CR in the future, what of these would be salvageable? If there is enough heat to melt the horn it could melt or soften adhesives in the drivers, toast the diaphragms and woofer cone, damage crossovers...

Not many components are designed to heat to 400-500 degrees (quick google of house fire temps near the floor).

*I have seen too many Khorn go for $2k +/- to come close to his asking price.

For giggles:

Seeing the insulation still on the wires that were in the LaScala that I bought made me go for them. As you can see in the picture, the LaScala got pretty toasty, and, apparently, they were extinguished before they were a total loss. In the Khorns, it looks like the insulation is still on the speaker cables, which is a good sign.

**One of the main things I would worry about (since the wood isn't too heavily damaged) is the carbon steel parts. Smoke carries chit that will rust exposed carbon steels. The sooner it is cleaned, the less damage. I was ignorant of this information when I needed the knowledge after a small fire in my machine shop.  

He said in his ad that the price is "firm" at $2,000, so none of this matters, unless you are foolish enough (I mean) ready to pay his price, or wait until he sobers up to the fact that they're not worth $2k.... IMHO lol. 

*I have seen too many Khorn go for $2k +/- to come close to his asking price.

For giggles:
Seeing the insulation still on the wires that were in the LaScala that I bought made me go for them. As you can see in the picture, the LaScala got pretty toasty, and, apparently, they were extinguished before they were a total loss. In the Khorns, it looks like the insulation is still on the speaker cables, which is a good sign.

**One of the main things I would worry about (since the wood isn't too heavily damaged) is the carbon steel parts. Smoke carries chit that will rust exposed carbon steels. The sooner it is cleaned, the less damage. I was ignorant of this information when I needed the knowledge after a small fire in my machine shop.  

He said in his ad that the price is "firm" at $2,000, so none of this matters, unless you are foolish enough (I mean) ready to pay his price, or wait until he sobers up to the fact that they're not worth $2k.... IMHO lol. 
That being said, if the electronics are toast, but the bass bins are salvageable, I wouldn't give one than $200 for the bass bins. But again I would customize the hell out of them with enclosed backs and top hats.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1