Mid horn to driver gasket differences?

Alexander

When we spun off the mid horn of klf-30s to swap out to the a55g drivers it was noticed that the OEM gaskets had a larger opening than the ones from Crites. It was decided to just reuse the OEM gaskets. Moving forward the a55g's are now off so to give them a go on the LS. So has anyone else noticed that the OEM gasket horn to driver having a larger opening compared to the ones Crites offers? Or is it just that the klf-20/30s got these gaskets?

gaskets.jpeg

the opening of the gasket should match the diameter of the opening at the throat of the horn which should also match the opening of the mouth of the compression driver. Trim the gasket to fit if necessary, when installing do not over compress the gasket as this will result in it bulging which will reduce the diameter of the pathway. Better to have a gasket with a too small hole which you can open up resulting in a smooth fit rather than a gasket with too large a hole which will result in a small cavity between the driver and the horn.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:56 PM, moray james said:

the opening of the gasket should match the diameter of the opening at the throat of the horn which should also match the opening of the mouth of the compression driver. Trim the gasket to fit if necessary, when installing do not over compress the gasket as this will result in it bulging which will reduce the diameter of the pathway. Better to have a gasket with a too small hole which you can open up resulting in a smooth fit rather than a gasket with too large a hole which will result in a small cavity between the driver and the horn.

Interesting, so how would you propose one would “trim” such a gasket internal opening?

58 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Interesting, so how would you propose one would “trim” such a gasket internal opening?

You can simply use the best available fitting gasket for the time being and if you want cut a set of gaskets by hand to fit exactly. I know where this goes now, there will be a host of posts stating "mine are like this (or that) and my speakers sound excellent. You will have to be your own judge. You decide if a couple of tiny gaskets will compromise your sound or not.

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

After closer inspection you may not be able to see this in the pic but the OEM gasket in the horn has maybe a .020”-.030” larger opening that the horn throat opening itself

If you check under the bug screen on the A55's you'll see that the actual driver opening is the same size as the Crites gasket. I ran into this same problem in all my speakers with the A55-g's CF-4 horn and the kp-362 horn. Very simple remedy as Moray suggested you can just trace and trim them to fit although its more of a cosmetic thing as the gasket matches the driver so there's no actual blockage of output from the driver if left alone on the 55's.

Admittedly I have never disassembled the a55g so I am sure you are right. This was just a question of observation, as previously mentioned I have yet to have seen the k55v/k400 mid driver. Only wanted to check things out so when I start on messing around with the LS in a couple of weeks.