Help with new REFERENCE PREM Home theatre system set up, Receiver and Amp suggestion

Fero

Hi Everyone

I just bought the below set of speakers and receiver, my receiver is only 100Watt. Should i buy a new receiver or should i get an amplifier. Please provide suggestions on wringing and placement of the speakers as well please. 

Receiver: TSR-700 7.1-channel AV Receiver with 8K HDMI 

KLIPSCH RP280FA DOLBY ATMOS FRONT SPKR (2)

KLIPSCH RP-150M REFERENCE PREM.,CHERRY 
KLIPSCH R-112SW 12" POWERED SUB CHERRY
KLIPSCH RP-440C REFERENCE PREM.,CHERRY 

KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK

Appreciate your patience and help

Thank you

• Like 1

Your receiver should be perfectly capable of powering this system, and won't damage the speakers as long as you don't crank them into distortion... but they should definitely get plenty loud as Klipsch speakers are relatively efficient.

As for performance, sure you'll probably get better performance from a more powerful receiver, but I think it would be marginal at best. You'd probably have to go separates to get a significant gain, but then you're talking big bucks and I don't think it is worth it at this stage. If you've already got the receiver, try it... I think you'll be very happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fero said:

Hi thank you for the warm welcome. My receiver says 100 Watt per channel, will that affect the performance of the speakers or damage them ?

The receiver is Yamaha from Costco

Sounds like a good one to me.

Should work well for HT, music.

Cool

I hear those 280's can rock so, looking good from here.

• Like 1

Can someone help me with the connections, where should I connect by Sub and the front floor standing speaker with Atmos. The front floor standing speakers has 3 pairs of connections at the back kind of confused where it goes 

IMG_3691.jpg

Also the woofer has two in port but the receiver only has one. What should I do in this case and the receiver says only connect woofer which has built in amp. How do I find if mine has a built in amp.

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3692 (1).jpg

Edited by Fero

On 12/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, inMotionGraphics said:

Your receiver should be perfectly capable of powering this system, and won't damage the speakers as long as you don't crank them into distortion... but they should definitely get plenty loud as Klipsch speakers are relatively efficient.

As for performance, sure you'll probably get better performance from a more powerful receiver, but I think it would be marginal at best. You'd probably have to go separates to get a significant gain, but then you're talking big bucks and I don't think it is worth it at this stage. If you've already got the receiver, try it... I think you'll be very happy.

Can you please help me with the above, not sure about these two connections

On 12/4/2020 at 11:53 PM, billybob said:

Sounds like a good one to me.

Should work well for HT, music.

Cool

I hear those 280's can rock so, looking good from here.

Thank you. Also where should i place these speaker and where should i connect it in the receiver

25 minutes ago, Fero said:

where should i place these speaker and where should i connect it in the receiver

Some more information about you, please?  I am terrible at over explaining things and I'd like to start as closely as possible so we mutually use the same terms.  Are you experienced in home theater audio?  Do you know the differences in the terms 7.1, 9.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.4?

I think the bottom line is going to be that you need a bigger AVR.  Your Yamaha at 5.1.2 will not support the amount of speakers that you have which is 5.1.4. 

15 minutes ago, Fero said:

Can you please help me with the above, not sure about these two connections

Happy to try and help you where I can. So looking at your first image, the top connections that have the Dolby Atmos height sticker next to them is where you will connect your Dolby Atmos height channels from your receiver. I think on the Yamaha, that will be the outputs labelled F. Presence which stands for Front Presence. You can double check in the owners manual, but I'm almost 100% sure that's what yamaha call the atmos heights.

Then the bottom connections that have the Main sticker next to them are for your mains (front left and right). The reason why there are 4 connections there is just in case you want to Bi-Amp your mains, which simply means powering your tweeters and woofers from separate outputs on your amp. You don't need to worry about or do this, and since the connections have been bridged together, you will only need to connect to one set of binding posts. I usually connect to the bottom two (positive and negative). And these you connect from your outputs labeled "Front" on your receiver. 

On the receiver you see that a set of channels is marked left and right and each side has a positive and negative terminal. So just make sure that you connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

Regarding the subwoofer, your receiver has two sub outputs labeled Subwoofer 1 and 2 (the black colour coded RCA outputs). You will connect subwoofer output 1 to the white RCA in on the back of the subwoofer that is labeled Line in - LFE.

35 minutes ago, Fero said:

What should I do in this case and the receiver says only connect woofer which has built in amp. How do I find if mine has a built in amp.

I can confirm that your subwoofer does indeed have a built in plate amp, so the connection procedure I explained above will work just fine.

Does this adequately answer your questions and concerns?

• Like 1

Oh dear, I think @wvu80 is right... relooking at your list of speakers, it looks like you have speakers for a 5.1.4 setup, but your receiver can only handle up to 5.1.2 speakers... 😞

Did you buy the speakers and receiver from a dealer? If so, they didn't advise you well, and I would ask them to replace the receiver with a 9.1 channel receiver, or refund you for the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers.

• Like 3

Two floorstanding speakers plus two built-in front Atmos speakers.  That's four channels of the 7.1 setup.

Two side surrounds.  We are now up to six channels.

Center channel.  That's the seven channels, all the speakers the Yamaha will support.

Two more Atmos modules, making nine speakers.  This setup requires an AVR with at least 9.1.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Did you buy the speakers and receiver from a dealer? If so, they didn't advise you well, and I would ask them to replace the receiver with a 9.1 channel receiver, or refund you for the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers.

@Fero mentioned that the AVR was a Costco item.  If he bought these speakers recently, then Costco is known for having a great return policy.

I am with you that Mr. Fero might benefit from a general discussion about what he wants from his HT setup as if this were BEFORE he bought his speakers and AVR.  Starting out with his overall budget and choice of Atmos speakers, ie upfiring vs wall mounted in his listening room.

You guys can advise far better than me on Atmos as I don't run an Atmos setup.

On a related topic, if Fero is able to return speakers I would like to see him spend just a few more dollars and upgrade that center to the very strong RP-504C.  He's already made some excellent speaker choices, this would just be a refinement of what he already has.

Edit:  I just checked center speaker prices.  The 440C is $500 and the 504C is $750.  That's a bigger price difference than I thought.  Quite a bit more money but it comes down to budget and what one needs from their HT setup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Some more information about you, please?  I am terrible at over explaining things and I'd like to start as closely as possible so we mutually use the same terms.  Are you experienced in home theater audio?  Do you know the differences in the terms 7.1, 9.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.4?

I think the bottom line is going to be that you need a bigger AVR.  Your Yamaha at 5.1.2 will not support the amount of speakers that you have which is 5.1.4. 

I am a newbie to the world of speakers i don't have any knowledge about home theater audio or what 7.1 or 9.1 really means. I am just trying to learn from the community and set a good home theater system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Happy to try and help you where I can. So looking at your first image, the top connections that have the Dolby Atmos height sticker next to them is where you will connect your Dolby Atmos height channels from your receiver. I think on the Yamaha, that will be the outputs labelled F. Presence which stands for Front Presence. You can double check in the owners manual, but I'm almost 100% sure that's what yamaha call the atmos heights.

Then the bottom connections that have the Main sticker next to them are for your mains (front left and right). The reason why there are 4 connections there is just in case you want to Bi-Amp your mains, which simply means powering your tweeters and woofers from separate outputs on your amp. You don't need to worry about or do this, and since the connections have been bridged together, you will only need to connect to one set of binding posts. I usually connect to the bottom two (positive and negative). And these you connect from your outputs labeled "Front" on your receiver. 

On the receiver you see that a set of channels is marked left and right and each side has a positive and negative terminal. So just make sure that you connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

Regarding the subwoofer, your receiver has two sub outputs labeled Subwoofer 1 and 2 (the black colour coded RCA outputs). You will connect subwoofer output 1 to the white RCA in on the back of the subwoofer that is labeled Line in - LFE.

I can confirm that your subwoofer does indeed have a built in plate amp, so the connection procedure I explained above will work just fine.

Does this adequately answer your questions and concerns?

Wow that was very detailed, this is the level of detailed explanation i really needed. Thank you so much. Made the whole thing sound simple. Appreciate your help

3 minutes ago, Fero said:

I am a newbie to the world of speakers i don't have any knowledge about home theater audio or what 7.1 or 9.1 really means. I am just trying to learn from the community and set a good home theater system.

How many atmos speakers do you plan on using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Oh dear, I think @wvu80 is right... relooking at your list of speakers, it looks like you have speakers for a 5.1.4 setup, but your receiver can only handle up to 5.1.2 speakers... 😞

Guess ill return the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers then. But can they be connected to the EXTRA SP2 at the back of my receiver ?

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Two floorstanding speakers plus two built-in front Atmos speakers.  That's four channels of the 7.1 setup.

Two side surrounds.  We are now up to six channels.

Center channel.  That's the seven channels, all the speakers the Yamaha will support.

Two more Atmos modules, making nine speakers.  This setup requires an AVR with at least 9.1.

Thank you for the explanation this is helpful. I understood the 7 speakers so 7 but how is the .1 or .2 calculated ?