Help with new REFERENCE PREM Home theatre system set up, Receiver and Amp suggestion

Fero

1 minute ago, billybob said:

I posted the features of your Yamaha so they can refer to it's many features.

You may want to use your amps manual to answer some questions.

Great thank you. Yes I will go over the manual and answer. appreciate your help

15 minutes ago, Fero said:

I am a newbie to the world of speakers

Got it.  Remember, we all started as newbies.  In my case a LOT of guys here helped me.  I now know a little more than I did and I'm happy to share with you what I learned on my journey.  You did a remarkedly good job with picking out good speakers your first time out.

Even with the experienced guys here you will find we sometimes disagree.  That's OK because I've found that even with guys with who I don't agree they make expert recommendations.  For instance I like a strong center speaker to start out with.  Others prefer strong L/R mains.  It's all good.  Listen to everybody, choose what works best for you.

We all have a budget, it would be helpful to know yours.  I prefer to start off with a high quality center, then L/R main speakers.  Getting a good AVR is the heart of your system.  A high quality 3.0 L/C/R setup sounds better than putting the same money into a 5.1 system where everything has to be cheaper to fit into the budget.  We can help you choose specific Klipsch speakers within your budget.

FYI someone further upstream suggested stretching the budget by picking up used Klipsch.  This is an excellent idea as used Klipsch are an excellent value.  I own a pair of Klipsch CF-4's which have dual 12" woofers and a fantastic sound.  This flagship model sold for $2600 in 1994 which I got a few years ago for the value price of $500.  Even used they typically go for $1200.  Deals are out there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Some more information about you, please?  I am terrible at over explaining things and I'd like to start as closely as possible so we mutually use the same terms.  Are you experienced in home theater audio?  Do you know the differences in the terms 7.1, 9.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.4?

I think the bottom line is going to be that you need a bigger AVR.  Your Yamaha at 5.1.2 will not support the amount of speakers that you have which is 5.1.4. 

I have posted a link to my receiver, my receiver says its a 7.2

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-x3RY5C6f2eD/p_022RXV6ABL/Yamaha-RX-V6A-2020-model.html?XVINQ=MI5&XVVER=4MQ&awcr=76965946777206&awdv=c&awkw=yamaha RX v6A&awmt=e&awnw=o&awat=&awug=94504&msclkid=08e75bc752f910e0860c0408ecbe6e96

• 7-channel amplifier
  • 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven
  • Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
    • Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
    • Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization creates three-dimensional effects without height speakers (via free future firmware update)
  • Cinema DSP 3D adds richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
  • YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration
    • included microphone helps fine-tune your system to best match your room's acoustics
  • R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control) helps deliver smooth, well-balanced surround sound across different seating positions
  • Music Enhancer improves sound quality of Bluetooth streams, MP3s, and other digitally compressed music files

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Got it.  Remember, we all started as newbies.  In my case a LOT of guys here helped me.  I now know a little more than I did and I'm happy to share with you what I learned on my journey.  You did a remarkedly good job with picking out good speakers your first time out.

Even with the experienced guys here you will find we sometimes disagree.  That's OK because I've found that even with guys with who I don't agree they make expert recommendations.  For instance I like a strong center speaker to start out with.  Others prefer strong L/R mains.  It's all good.  Listen to everybody, choose what works best for you.

We all have a budget, it would be helpful to know yours.  I prefer to start off with a high quality center, then L/R main speakers.  Getting a good AVR is the heart of your system.  A high quality 3.0 L/C/R setup sounds better than putting the same money into a 5.1 system where everything has to be cheaper to fit into the budget.  We can help you choose specific Klipsch speakers within your budget.

FYI someone further upstream suggested stretching the budget by picking up used Klipsch.  This is an excellent idea as used Klipsch are an excellent value.  I own a pair of Klipsch CF-4's which have dual 12" woofers and a fantastic sound.  This flagship model sold for $2600 in 1994 which I got a few years ago for the value price of $500.  Even used they typically go for $1200.  Deals are out there.

Great sure I always choose the used one, they are good value as you mentioned. So what receiver would you suggest me for this, I can possibly see if I can spend some extra money and exchange my current receiver. 

Just now, Fero said:

I have posted a link to my receiver, my receiver says its a 7.2

I looked up your receiver, typically called an AVR, Audio Video Receiver.

In the 7.2 the 7 refers to 7 speakers, the .1 means it supports one subwoofer output.  Don't worry about the .1 right now, let's talk about the 7.

The 7 in 7.1 typically means a surround sound system.  Left/Center/Right or L/C/R, two side surround speakers SR and SL.  Your AVR will require you to use these 5 speakers first before you do anything else.

To get to 7 speakers you typically have Rear Surround Right & Left. 

What is more typical these days is to run 5 speaker and then Atmos presence speakers.  The front main speaker you chose are floorstanding speakers with an additional up firing Atmos speaker that bounces the Atmos sound off the ceiling.  Your 7 speakers are then called 5.1.2.  The L/C/R and side surrounds, and two upfiring Atmos modules. 

You already bought two rear Atmos speakers which are wall mounted.  That would be a 5.1.4 setup.  I am not the Atmos expert but the guys who like Atmos say that the 5.1.4 is a much more immersive sound that 5.1.2.

Are you with me so far?

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I looked up your receiver, typically called an AVR, Audio Video Receiver.

In the 7.2 the 7 refers to 7 speakers, the .1 means it supports one subwoofer output.  Don't worry about the .1 right now, let's talk about the 7.

The 7 in 7.1 typically means a surround sound system.  Left/Center/Right or L/C/R, two side surround speakers SR and SL.  Your AVR will require you to use these 5 speakers first before you do anything else.

To get to 7 speakers you typically have Rear Surround Right & Left. 

What is more typical these days is to run 5 speaker and then Atmos presence speakers.  The front main speaker you chose are floorstanding speakers with an additional up firing Atmos speaker that bounces the Atmos sound off the ceiling.  Your 7 speakers are then called 5.1.2.  The L/C/R and side surrounds, and two upfiring Atmos modules. 

You already bought two rear Atmos speakers which are wall mounted.  That would be a 5.1.4 setup.  I am not the Atmos expert but the guys who like Atmos say that the 5.1.4 is a much more immersive sound that 5.1.2.

Are you with me so far?

Yes i am, now i can understand much better. Got it

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fero said:

Guess ill return the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers then. But can they be connected to the EXTRA SP2 at the back of my receiver ?

No, there are not enough connections in your AVR.  You would need a 9.x AVR to use the 140SA speakers which would give you a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.  Many people do that and it is a modern Home Theater setup.

+++

If you want to keep most of what you have, which is good stuff, I would suggest you take back the 140 SA's AND the 404C.  Put the extra money into the RP-504C.  It would cost you next to nothing and this would be a substantial upgrade, a good place to put your money.

The reason I put emphasis on the center is because ninety percent of TV/movies is dialog and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.  High quality here is the best use of your speaker dollars.  Get the best center you can afford.

This would leave you with a 5.1.2 setup.  If you do what I suggest you would have the highly regarded RP-8000F floorstanders as L/R.  Check.

The 504C center would be the second highest quality center Klipsch offers in the HT line and gets outstanding  reviews from owners.  Check.  (btw the best Klipsch center is the RC-64 III.)

The side surrounds play mostly background sounds, if sports then crowd noise.  If movies then random gunshots, birds chirping, that sort of thing.  The upward firing Atmos module would give you 3-D sound.  Check and check.

You've already got some good detailed suggestions on hooking everything up.

+++

If you need speaker wire I suggest going to Amazon and picking up 100 feet of 14 gauge OFC wire.  That is Oxygen Free Copper.  Do not get the cheaper CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum.  The good stuff is only ten bucks more typically.  There are several brands with OFC, including Monoprice.  Search for them if you want a different color wire.

I also recommend banana plugs.  Get Mediabridge banana plugs, they have a rating of 4.9 stars on Amazon.  they won't make the speakers sound better but they do have a solid connection and won't come loose.  They make it easy to plug and unplug your speakers.  They are optional, bare wire is OK too.

Here is the Mediabridge sub cable, RCA to RCA.  Rated 4.8 stars, the Best Seller on Amazon.  Make sure the length is OK for you.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

No, there are not enough connections in your AVR.  You would need a 9.x AVR to use the 140SA speakers which would give you a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.  Many people do that and it is a modern Home Theater setup.

+++

If you want to keep most of what you have, which is good stuff, I would suggest you take back the 140 SA's AND the 404C.  Put the extra money into the RP-504C.  It would cost you next to nothing and this would be a substantial upgrade, a good place to put your money.

The reason I put emphasis on the center is because ninety percent of TV/movies is dialog and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.  High quality here is the best use of your speaker dollars.  Get the best center you can afford.

This would leave you be the second highest quality center Klipsch offers in the HT line and gets outstanding  reviews from owners.  Check.  (btw the best Klipsch center is the RC-64 III.)

The side surrounds play mostly background sounds, if sports then crowd noise.  If movies then random gunshots, birds chirping, that sort of thing.  The upward firing Atmos module would give you 3-D sound.  Check and check.

You've already got some good detailed suggestions on hooking everything up.

+++

If you need speaker wire I suggest going to Amazon and picking up 100 feet of 14 gauge OFC wire.  That is Oxygen Free Copper.  Do not get the cheaper CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum.  The good stuff is only ten bucks more typically.  There are several brands with OFC, including Monoprice.  Search for them if you want a different color wire.

I also recommend banana plugs.  Get Mediabridge banana plugs, they have a rating of 4.9 stars on Amazon.  they won't make the speakers sound better but they do have a solid connection and won't come loose.  They make it easy to plug and unplug your speakers.  They are optional, bare wire is OK too.

Here is the Mediabridge sub cable, RCA to RCA.  Rated 4.8 stars, the Best Seller on Amazon.  Make sure the length is OK for you.

Those are some really great suggestions thank you so much. Sure i will try and see if i could change to the RP-504C and also i will go-ahead and order those wire and plugs. I was just browsing to see which one to order and right time you suggested those. One last help please can you please suggest a couple good receivers that i can possibly look into please.

39 minutes ago, Fero said:

can you please suggest a couple good receivers that i can possibly look into please.

Others can advise you better than me on specific models.  AVR's known to work well with Klipsch are Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha Aventage.  I own the Marantz SR 6011 110 wpc and can recommend the Marantz line.

Check out accessories for less.com  Many of us have bought from them with great results and a good price saving.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

There is a Klipsch dealer here who offers excellent service and great prices.  He has AVR's as well as Klipsch.  He was an active member here before he became a Klipsch dealer.  You might check with Cory.  I have bought from him.  @Paducah Home Theater

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Let's see, you already have the speakers, an AVR, speaker wire?

@Fero

Yes as per all the suggestions I got, the below is going to be my system

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V6A (2020 model)7.2-channel home theater receiver with Dolby Atmos - (This costed me $320 not sure if the jump to Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha Aventage will make sense for me)

Speakers

KLIPSCH RP280FA DOLBY ATMOS FRONT SPKR (2)

KLIPSCH RP-150M REFERENCE PREM.,CHERRY 
KLIPSCH R-112SW 12" POWERED SUB CHERRY

KLIPSCH RP-440C REFERENCE PREM.,CHERRY  (Will see if I can switch this to the RP-504C speakers)

Wires:

100 feet of 14 gauge OFC wire

Mediabridge banana plugs

Mediabridge sub cable, RCA to RCA.

@wvu80 Thank you so much for those suggestions. Guess I got everything needed hopefully.

• Like 1