Help with new REFERENCE PREM Home theatre system set up, Receiver and Amp suggestion

Fero

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Others can advise you better than me on specific models.  AVR's known to work well with Klipsch are Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha Aventage.  I own the Marantz SR 6011 110 wpc and can recommend the Marantz line.

Check out accessories for less.com  Many of us have bought from them with great results and a good price saving.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

There is a Klipsch dealer here who offers excellent service and great prices.  He has AVR's as well as Klipsch.  He was an active member here before he became a Klipsch dealer.  You might check with Cory.  I have bought from him.  @Paducah Home Theater

Will the receiver switch make sense for me ?

Just now, Fero said:

No not yet just trying to see if the change will make sense or if i will really recognize the difference 

Alright, just make sure you are getting the right AVR. 

The one above looks like another 7 channel like your first.

Make sure you go over it with Dave wvu80...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Alright, just make sure you are getting the right AVR. 

The one above looks like another 7 channel like your first.

The one i mentioned is the same one from costco, its just that costco has a different name for it.

TSR-700 and RX-V6A are same

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billybob said:

C'mon man, you know your stuff.  🤜🤛  :cool:

+++

4 hours ago, Fero said:

No not yet just trying to see if the change will make sense or if i will really recognize the difference 

Just like @billybob said, if you are going from the $600 7.1 to another $600 7.1 of another brand that would be a lateral move, not an upgrade.  I doubt you would hear much difference or gain more features.

Denon has gotten a lot of love lately and the 9.1 Denon AVR-X3700H has gotten rave reviews at $1200.  If you went with last year's model X3600H which is practically the same at $900, either of those would be a substantial upgrade in sound and features.  You would be moving from an entry level AVR to a mid-level unit.

Disclaimer:  I have not heard either unit.  Both have a rating of 4.8 stars on Amazon with over 335 reviews.  I tend not to trust Amazon reviews with under 100. 

I also compare the 5 star ratings vs the 1 star ratings.  I want to see over 70% 5 star and under 10% 1 star.  In this case the 5 star ratings are 80% and the 1-star is 3%.  That is a really high rating for an AVR.

You might want to PM Cory at @Paducah Home Theater.  He might have those brands or suggest another within your budget amount.  He'll give you advice that is best for you, not just for him.  You could also check with @Scrappydue aka Steve who sells for Paduchah HT.  He also knows his stuff and is a regular here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Looks like just 2 atmos speakers to me.

He's actually got 4 atmos speakers in that list in his original post. Those RP280FA mains that he photographed have atmos modules on top and require separate connections. These would be front atmos.

Then he's got these: RP-140SA which would be for rear atmos.

9 hours ago, Fero said:

Guess ill return the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers then. But can they be connected to the EXTRA SP2 at the back of my receiver ?

The Extra SP2 connections are for an additional zone or surround back speakers. So while you might have 9 or more connections on the back of your receiver, your receiver definitely only has 7 channels of decoding and amplification. So you can switch between these 9 channels in the menu, but you will only ever be able to power up to 7 discrete channels at a time. Which leaves you with the option of doing a 7.1 setup (no Dolby Atmos height channels) or a 5.1.2 setup (with 2 Dolby Atmos height channels).

So to sum things up for you, you have two scenarios to decide between in my opinion:

5.1.2 Setup

If you're happy to only have two Dolby Atmos height channels, which is perfectly fine, then you will keep your RX-V6A, which is an excellent 7 channel AVR, and return the RP-140SA rear atmos speakers. 

I agree with @wvu80's suggestion to always try and get the best center you can afford, so an upgrade of the center to the: RP-504C is definitely a worthy consideration. For what it's worth, my next speaker upgrade will be to this exact center speaker. While I would love to get the RC-64 III (the best of the best), the matching mains would be the RF7iii's which are at a whole different price level, and likely beyond my reach... 🙂

5.1.4 Setup

Alternatively, if you decide you want to go with the full dolby atmos setup (4 atmos height channels) from the get go, then you can keep the RP-140SA for the rear atmos speakers and you will need to exchange your receiver for a 9 channel receiver. Looking at Yamaha's website, it looks like you will need to step up to the RX-A2080 receiver in their Aventage line to get the 9 channels you need. For what it's worth, this is an excellent receiver (I've got the previous year's model RX-A2070), but this might push you beyond your budget. 

With Denon I think you can usually get more channels at a lower price point, but you really can't go wrong with Yamaha, Denon or Marantz. I would suggest contacting your dealer (or searching online) and comparing the prices of all the 9.2 channel receivers that fit your budget. You are welcome to post your findings here, and those who own the various brands can advise you further.

Summary

Which option you go with will depend entirely on how easy or difficult it is for you to exchange and/or return the gear you have already bought, and most importantly how much you are willing to spend over and above what you've already spent. 

In an ideal world where there are no issues exchanging and you can afford to invest a bit more money, I would return the receiver and get a 9.2 channel receiver and upgrade the center to the RP-504C, but again, neither of these upgrades are necessary, so don't feel pressured to do this if you don't have the budget. You will get plenty of enjoyment from the gear you've already bought.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:14 PM, wvu80 said:

C'mon man, you know your stuff.  🤜🤛  :cool:

+++

Just like @billybob said, if you are going from the $600 7.1 to another $600 7.1 of another brand that would be a lateral move, not an upgrade.  I doubt you would hear much difference or gain more features.

Denon has gotten a lot of love lately and the 9.1 Denon AVR-X3700H has gotten rave reviews at $1200.  If you went with last year's model X3600H which is practically the same at $900, either of those would be a substantial upgrade in sound and features.  You would be moving from an entry level AVR to a mid-level unit.

Disclaimer:  I have not heard either unit.  Both have a rating of 4.8 stars on Amazon with over 335 reviews.  I tend not to trust Amazon reviews with under 100. 

I also compare the 5 star ratings vs the 1 star ratings.  I want to see over 70% 5 star and under 10% 1 star.  In this case the 5 star ratings are 80% and the 1-star is 3%.  That is a really high rating for an AVR.

You might want to PM Cory at @Paducah Home Theater.  He might have those brands or suggest another within your budget amount.  He'll give you advice that is best for you, not just for him.  You could also check with @Scrappydue aka Steve who sells for Paduchah HT.  He also knows his stuff and is a regular here.

I decided to return the extra atmos speaker and the center speaker to update to  RP-504C and decided to keep the same receiver i have now. Thank you so much these suggestions were great. Can you please suggest me a good 25 feet plus HDMI cable and Jumper cable for my floor speakers please. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:06 PM, inMotionGraphics said:

The Extra SP2 connections are for an additional zone or surround back speakers. So while you might have 9 or more connections on the back of your receiver, your receiver definitely only has 7 channels of decoding and amplification. So you can switch between these 9 channels in the menu, but you will only ever be able to power up to 7 discrete channels at a time. Which leaves you with the option of doing a 7.1 setup (no Dolby Atmos height channels) or a 5.1.2 setup (with 2 Dolby Atmos height channels).

So to sum things up for you, you have two scenarios to decide between in my opinion:

5.1.2 Setup

If you're happy to only have two Dolby Atmos height channels, which is perfectly fine, then you will keep your RX-V6A, which is an excellent 7 channel AVR, and return the RP-140SA rear atmos speakers. 

I agree with @wvu80's suggestion to always try and get the best center you can afford, so an upgrade of the center to the: RP-504C is definitely a worthy consideration. For what it's worth, my next speaker upgrade will be to this exact center speaker. While I would love to get the RC-64 III (the best of the best), the matching mains would be the RF7iii's which are at a whole different price level, and likely beyond my reach... 🙂

5.1.4 Setup

Alternatively, if you decide you want to go with the full dolby atmos setup (4 atmos height channels) from the get go, then you can keep the RP-140SA for the rear atmos speakers and you will need to exchange your receiver for a 9 channel receiver. Looking at Yamaha's website, it looks like you will need to step up to the RX-A2080 receiver in their Aventage line to get the 9 channels you need. For what it's worth, this is an excellent receiver (I've got the previous year's model RX-A2070), but this might push you beyond your budget. 

With Denon I think you can usually get more channels at a lower price point, but you really can't go wrong with Yamaha, Denon or Marantz. I would suggest contacting your dealer (or searching online) and comparing the prices of all the 9.2 channel receivers that fit your budget. You are welcome to post your findings here, and those who own the various brands can advise you further.

Summary

Which option you go with will depend entirely on how easy or difficult it is for you to exchange and/or return the gear you have already bought, and most importantly how much you are willing to spend over and above what you've already spent. 

In an ideal world where there are no issues exchanging and you can afford to invest a bit more money, I would return the receiver and get a 9.2 channel receiver and upgrade the center to the RP-504C, but again, neither of these upgrades are necessary, so don't feel pressured to do this if you don't have the budget. You will get plenty of enjoyment from the gear you've already bought.

I hope this helps.

You summarized it so very nicely for me. Thank you so much. This gives me a really good picture, I decided to return the extra atmos speaker and the center speaker to update to  RP-504C and decided to keep the same receiver i have now. I will later buy a good receiver for sure

Edited by Fero

13 hours ago, Fero said:

You summarized it so very nicely for me. Thank you so much. This gives me a really good picture, I decided to return the extra atmos speaker and the center speaker to update to  RP-504C and decided to keep the same receiver i have now. I will later buy a good receiver for sure

Ah, I'm very glad to hear that, and happy I was able to help. I think you've made an excellent choice and you will be thrilled with your sound once you have it all set up. Enjoy!

Brendon

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:09 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

Ah, I'm very glad to hear that, and happy I was able to help. I think you've made an excellent choice and you will be thrilled with your sound once you have it all set up. Enjoy!

Brendon

On 12/8/2020 at 11:21 PM, wvu80 said:

+1 ^^^

Well put, my friend.

One last question please, can i make my system a 5.2.2 then by adding an additional woofer. Will that make the system better, will my receiver support it and what are your thoughts on it ?

1 hour ago, Fero said:

One last question please, can i make my system a 5.2.2 then by adding an additional woofer. Will that make the system better, will my receiver support it and what are your thoughts on it ?

Yes, your receiver will support it (you have two subwoofer outs, but you can add as many as you like down the line), and yes, this is a highly recommended move. Between adding the best center speaker you can afford and adding a second subwoofer to your system, these are the two most rewarding (and bang for your buck) upgrades you can make in my opinion. The second sub will help distribute the bass more evening in your room and give a wider range of seats a more enjoyable experience.

Just a few notes on the second subwoofer... I recommend that you set it so that both subs have the same input signal from your receiver. There is a setting for this in the speaker setup menu. Some will argue that this technically then isn't a 5.2.2 but rather a 5.1.2 setup no matter how many subs you have on that LFE channel, but that's just semantics so you can ignore them and call it whatever you want... for me, I find it easier to refer to the middle number as the number of subs I have, even though they're all receiving the exact same signal.... 🙂

If my last paragraph has confused me, then just ignore it and get the second sub... you can't go wrong with an additional sub... 🙂

2 hours ago, Fero said:

can i make my system a 5.2.2 then by adding an additional woofer  (AKA subwoofer or sub for short)

. Will that make the system better, will my receiver support it and what are your thoughts on it ?

40 minutes ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Some will argue that this technically then isn't a 5.2.2 but rather a 5.1.2 setup no matter how many subs you have on that LFE channel, but that's just semantics so you can ignore them and call it whatever you want... for me,

I find it easier to refer to the middle number as the number of subs I have, even though they're all receiving the exact same signal..

Mr. @inMotionGraphics nailed it ^^^ as usual.

The second sub adds about 3 db to the loudness (sound pressure level, or SPL) of the first sub.  The second sub does not make things much louder.

A single sub bounces off your floor, walls and ceiling and produces soft spots (null) in the sound and loud boomy spots (peaks).  The second sub smooths out peaks and nulls.

If you can't work out getting a second sub then you can do what I do; make your wife sit in the null.  🤜🤛

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@wvu80 @inMotionGraphics @billybob

Thank you so much for all the help, I did an initial set up - Please see picture.

1. Should I move the woofers to two corners or should i move one behind the couch (give your suggestion on the best placement for the woofer)

2. Is the placement of the surround speaker good ?

3. Any other suggestions on the placement please

image0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:05 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

Oh dear, I think @wvu80 is right... relooking at your list of speakers, it looks like you have speakers for a 5.1.4 setup, but your receiver can only handle up to 5.1.2 speakers... 😞

Did you buy the speakers and receiver from a dealer? If so, they didn't advise you well, and I would ask them to replace the receiver with a 9.1 channel receiver, or refund you for the KLIPSCH RP-140SA REFR PREM.ATMOS,BK speakers.

Yes, your seller/dealer should have given you proper guidance in your purchasing.  This is where paying a bit more to a local hi-fi shop saves you in the long run, in the initial purchasing, the connections and setup, and in the ongoing support.

As welll, you would be supporting a local business, which helps the community where you lives.  If you choose the right shop, you will get the benefit of their years of experience in this field, and discounts as you become a long term customer.  It’s worth it.

1 hour ago, Fero said:

@wvu80 @inMotionGraphics @billybob

Thank you so much for all the help, I did an initial set up - Please see picture.

1. Should I move the woofers to two corners or should i move one behind the couch (give your suggestion on the best placement for the woofer)

image0.jpeg

That looks like a good start!  As for placement of the subwoofers, that’s nearly impossible to advise based on a photo, especially with an asymmetric room like yours.  I don’t mean there’s anything wrong with your room, just that the way the sound waves from the subwoofers will interact with your room is more complicated than it would be in a simple box-shaped room.  Your room is probably very efficient for your daily use and evening relaxing, and you can get good sound in it.

Try the sub crawl technique, where you place a sub in your listening position, right there on the sofa, and then go carefully around your room, on foot or on hands and knees, while a steady bass beat is playing.  If you don’t have anything like that in your music library, look for an on-air or online radio station that plays deep house music.

When you find the spot where the bass is loudest, that’s where your subwoofer belongs!  You can do it by ear, or with a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, usually just called a sound level meter.  It costs $50-$100 for a usable meter.  You might be able to rent one from a local DJ shop, or the Pro section of a music store.  If you rent it more than once, you might as well buy one, because it can be handy.  You could even get a buddy with good hearing to join you, so he or she can confirm what you’re hearing, or maybe find a different spot that works even better.

Obviously, the middle of the room is impractical, along with some other locations, but you should be able to find a spot that works, for both you and your partner, if you have one.  I’m just making the point that plunking the sub(s) down between the speakers and calling it Done! doesn’t always give you the best sound.

All this hassle may make you wonder sometimes if it’s worth is.  It is!  If you really like music, you’ll want to hear it in the most lifelike way possible.  This starts with thinking about what kinds of music you like (there are probably several kinds) and how loudly you like to listen to them.  Keep in mind that while speakers are expensive, they don’t really wear out, so you may be keeping them for a long time, maybe even after you move to a different home.  This means that it’s worth buying good ones, with high performance, that you won’t outgrow for a long time.

One other thing:  while your system may have 7 or 9 channels, if you watch TV, you’ll soon find that most stations broadcast in 5.1, to suit the equipment of most of their listeners.  I have a 6.2 surround system, so when I watch TV my centre rear speaker is inactive.  However, both subs keep working.  Some AV receivers may say they have Left and Right sub channels, while others have a single mono channel, which feeds both subs.  With our ears’ reduced ability to localize low bass notes, two mono or stereo subs sound pretty similar.

A good setup will have speakers and a receiver that image well, and create a realistic sound stage.  This means that a good setup, with good gear, will allow you to close your eyes and clearly picture every instrument and singer, where he/she/it is between the speakers, and if he/she/it is up front or further back on the stage.  Often, you can only get this effect in one spot in the room , your Main Listening Position.  Hopefully, it’s wide enough for two people to experience.

Good luck, and happy listening!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Islander said:

The traditional spot for the subs is outside the speakers, near the corners.  I would start there.  Put the speakers just outside the TV enough so you can toe them in.

It looks ideal to me.  Above the listener and either to the side or slightly behind.

I suggested you start with subs in the corners because I think they will sound pretty good there.  I have put a 15" sub behind my couch before.  It sounds really good, you hear the sub sound but it sounds like it's coming from the front speakers.  Start with the subs up front, then move one to the back if you aren't satisfied with the sound.

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Going to let those other 2 have their say. Then I can critique their input.

LOL!  How am I doing @billybob🤣

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, Fero said:

image0.jpeg

I just had a crazy thought.  I really like the theater seats which are on the left side.  I would love to see those in the middle.

Is there any way you could slide and rotate that L (not left, the letter L) couch all the way to the left?  Just the one section.  Then put the theater seats in the Main Listening Position (MLP).  Then slide the remaining couch section away from the front along the right side wall.

Probably a crazy idea.  Just ignore me.

• Like 1