what would be an upgrade?

cruzer23

my current speakers are klipsch ksb 3.1, ksc-c1, ksw 100 subwoofer, sb-1 to round out the back

my question is, im not sure how good a setup this is. ive never been blown away by it, but no real complaints.

would something as simple as the dayton audio mk442 be an upgrade?

would something like the RSL CG3 5.1 be an upgrade?

would spending around $1000 be worthwhile of an upgrade over what i have, or would i be better off with what i have unless im willing to spend quite a bit?

thanks

9 hours ago, cruzer23 said:

my current speakers are klipsch ksb 3.1, ksc-c1, ksw 100 subwoofer, sb-1 to round out the back

my question is, im not sure how good a setup this is. ive never been blown away by it, but no real complaints.

IMO the 3.1's are great speakers, sb-1's should be fine for surround duty although they're not really a match the center speaker is probably your weakest link then your sub. If you want to stick with Klipsch there are plenty of ways to go within your budget to get better performance. If you're looking for new below are what I'd probably go for center and fronts within your budget, you could move your 3.1's to surround and save up for a new sub later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RP-504C-Ebony-Center-Speaker-BRAND-NEW/274587702668?epid=4032160138&hash=item3feeb3d58c:g:lHUAAOSwrDxfvC5n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RP-600M-E-Ebony-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair/393034010376?hash=item5b82a70f08:g:1awAAOSww0Zd3Zri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

IMO the 3.1's are great speakers, sb-1's should be fine for surround duty although they're not really a match the center speaker is probably your weakest link then your sub. If you want to stick with Klipsch there are plenty of ways to go within your budget to get better performance. If you're looking for new below are what I'd probably go for center and fronts within your budget, you could move your 3.1's to surround and save up for a new sub later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RP-504C-Ebony-Center-Speaker-BRAND-NEW/274587702668?epid=4032160138&hash=item3feeb3d58c:g:lHUAAOSwrDxfvC5n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RP-600M-E-Ebony-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair/393034010376?hash=item5b82a70f08:g:1awAAOSww0Zd3Zri

im not sure if your familiar with dayton audio or not but i actually built a center channel MTM with Dayton RS150S-8 (6") and Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
any idea if that would be an upgrade over the klipsch center i have?

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, cruzer23 said:

im not sure if your familiar with dayton audio or not but i actually built a center channel MTM with Dayton RS150S-8 (6") and Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
any idea if that would be an upgrade over the klipsch center i have?

The best way to find out is to do a listening test between the two.  Find a decent movie passage (Maybe like one minute) that has good center channel content.  Play it on one speaker, and then switch out and try the same passage on the second speaker and repeat until you determine which one sounds better to you.

I feel the key to a successful home theater is a great center channel and a great subwoofer(s)  Those two are the most important.  Obviously decent left and right speakers are needed, but some go overkill with the main speakers in a home theater setting (Unless you are using these for 2.1 channel audio as well)  Surrounds, as long as you are using something decent, don't have to be huge!  Some people go overkill and run huge speakers for surround.  Unless you are trying to fill an auditorium sized theater room , smaller speakers that reach down to at least around 60hz will do just fine reproducing the zings, pops, crashes, etc that are sent to the surrounds

I have used parts express dayton audio drivers many times.  Some of their drivers will suprise you and are a great bang for the buck and should cost a lot more than they are charging!  I have used the exact same woofers you mentioned, but not the tweeters.  I used the woofers as mid-bass drivers.  2 12" dayton woofers, 2 6" dayton for midwoofers and an AMT for mid/ tweeter.  I tri amped the speakers and they sound amazing.  So much so that I sold my KLF30's last year and replaced them with my new build.

Woofer

Main product image for Dayton Audio DSA315-8 12" Designer Series Aluminum C 295-534

Mid woofer

Main product image for Dayton Audio RS150-8 6" Reference Woofer 295-354

Tweeter

Main product image for Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 275-094