If you are a foodie?

juniper

I ve always loved great food, was a vegitarian for a very long time so i needed to learn to cook. I stopped being one, when my young son said "Dad why dont you eat the same food as me". I make food from many different countries at least 30. This guy can cook! His youtube page is AlmazanKitchen. plus its relaxing and he has an owl...

Consider yourself lucky! i have over a hundred different spices, five types of oils, five vinegars, eight flours, ten types of dried chilli and could go on with all the things i use.... if my wife didnt shop everyday and sous chef..... cooking would be very different...

• Like 2

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I was a chef [emoji1854] and did very well for myself. I was making over 28 an hour. And when I moved back down to Florida, the pay was so poor I went back to mechanic’s and carpentry, much better pay for those trades down in the south. About 6 years ago. My wife was diagnosed with a gluten tolerance. Luckily with my cooking background I was able to keep our household menu very broad and healthy and tasty. Now many stores are stocking gluten-free items that I was making from scratch. I still make 95% of our meals and out of the those I’d say 90% of all made from scratch. That would explain my large belly, LOL. But I think Learning even the basics of cooking is a very important thing to learn. When I was back in grade school that was one of the things they taught us was home economics. Now that is a huge elective in high school and rarely utilized by the students. My oldest son when he was joining the Navy didn’t even know how to boil water. I’m not joking he didn’t even know how to boil water. So when he came back home from Boot Camp I gave him a crash course on how to cook. Now years later he’s able to cook all the meals for him and his wife. I think it’s very important to have many different ingredients in the home and don’t be afraid to experiment and you don’t need to buy all those fancy air fryers and stuff like , that to provide great tasty meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ssh said:

I love to cook. I'm not a great cook, but a prized tool of mine is the Viking range. It pairs well with the Khorns.

SSH

Im seeing lots of industrial ranges around here coming up for sale from closed restaurants.  I want a Wolf or Viking range setup with the large griddle, heat lamps and over head vent, but the money is another story.

A friend owned an appliance store where I bought numerous appliances for my rent houses. He made an offer that I couldn't refuse. The vent hood cost three times what my previous range cost, but I made a call to my banker, lol. It's a lifetime investment that someone will enjoy long after I'm gone.

SSH

8 minutes ago, ssh said:

A friend owned an appliance store where I bought numerous appliances for my rent houses. He made an offer that I couldn't refuse. The vent hood cost three times what my previous range cost, but I made a call to my banker, lol. It's a lifetime investment that someone will enjoy long after I'm gone.

SSH

I have two DCS commercial 8 burner gas ranges, one in the kitchen, and one in the canning kitchen.  You've seen and tasted what comes out of there.....

Brought them both from Washington State to Indiana when we relocated a few years ago.  There was no way I was going to leave them.  The movers were not happy.....

• Like 1

I'm a decent cook. Growing the food is where I've found my passion in the process. Soups and broths and other "lost arts" that draw out every last bit of nutrients from the animals are my favorite thing to make. Last month I made about 25 qts each of beef and chicken stock for the freezer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

last month I made about 25 qts each of beef and chicken stock for the freezer.

we have a local farmer who sells his beef and chicken stock to us  ,  and we are lucky to be on his list of clients , given how good it is -

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm a decent cook. Growing the food is where I've found my passion in the process. Soups and broths and other "lost arts" that draw out every last bit of nutrients from the animals are my favorite thing to make. Last month I made about 25 qts each of beef and chicken stock for the freezer.

No goat stock?  Geez, get with it.

16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

No goat stock?  Geez, get with it.

Not yet. I've got a bag of soup bones and a couple legs that need roasting. So maybe I'll make a few quarts over winter. The small number of butchers in my area are backed up big time, so we sold off all our younger stock this last week and back to a manageable herd size of just 6 for now. My focus for meat production has shifted towards the pigs and we may raise quail for meat in 2021. The turkeys this year were our best ever, so we'll certainly be doing those again. (yes, I know you were being snarky)

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

we have a local farmer who sells his beef and chicken stock to us  ,  and we are lucky to be on his list of clients , given how good it is -

How much do you pay per qt? There's places online and even some local hippy dippy places that sell "farm to market buzzwordy" bone broth and stock for upwards of $20/qt. At those rates, I'm quite pleased to have the equipment and know how to make my own.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I always wanted a $4,500 stove. I look at those big, fat, round knobs, and ohhhhhh.... "I want one!"  I just know my eggs will scramble better with one of those.

I'm honestly a little disappointed in my $6,000 refrigerator.  For some reason, water still freezes at 32 degrees.

For $6,000.00 I could have purchased a washer/dryer, dishwasher, microwave, and a refrigerator that didn't talk back to me.

JJK

• Haha 1