Suspect new Klipsch speakers for tinnitus worsening

Denix8

Pretty much wrong.  Are you a musician?
Nope. I know a few. Seems their hearing is fine outside of the upper regions. Craig is a drummer and he has 3 front Jubilee and 2 khorn LF with k402 as surrounds. His room is whisper quiet and you can hear every detail and he had no problem hearing the things I was hearing as we described to each other the sound of each track even though I believe he's mentioned troubling hearing the high frequencies.

I'm sure its a case by case situation since there are old guys still rocking out. Jagger must have ear drums of steel at nearly 80

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Since I see some people asking as to what I did afterwards and to clarify things here is an update: I just got a pair of Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 today (waited for Black Friday) to see if I have similar problems with those. Unfortunately after very short listening session my tinnitus came right back at full intensity together with unpleasant feeling in the ears (the speakers are excellent otherwise). Now I am not claiming that any of these speakers caused me the problems that I have, only that they bring them out. When I stopped using those speakers (experimented in the last half a year) I did not have this problem (used Yamaha yamaha nx-p130 and Logitech Z5500 in the meantime). When I use 80€ AKG headphones I don't get this problem either. The tweeter in ELACs is totally different than the one in Klipsch so it cant be that. I can only see two external factors that can be the cause: 1. untreated room reflections or 2. (wild guess) metallic cones on woofers - the only thing these two speakers have in common. Maybe the cheaper speakers that dont have good tweeter dont cause the problematic reflections and thus no tinnitus worsening. Heck wish if I knew what was causing this, I already spent 1000€ on speakers that I cant enjoy

I also must admit that sudden noises (ie horn on the road etc) make me very nervous, maybe I have hyperacusis...

Edited by Denix8

20 hours ago, Seadoc said:

Please speak up I am having trouble hearing you, the cicadas are too loud.  Learned the hard way - hearing loss is irreversible no matter the cause.

I know what you mean but I'm otherwise okay, I only have problems when using these specific speakers even at normal volume (I can raise up volume on other speakers and not have these problems). I will go to hearing check but I am also considering other factors. I used UMIK-1 to measure speakers that cause me trouble vs those which don't. If anyone here knows how to use REW to check for problems he/she is very welcome, I attached file to this post (only file to problematic speaker due to size limits)

Nov 27_Elacs_moved_forward_a_bit.mdat

17 hours ago, SWL said:

It's funny how Klipsch gets accused of causing ear ringing more than any other speaker I've read about......but I agree that you need to see an ENT.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Personally that's because I read a lot of topics that they are bright and fatiguing, that metal tweeters can be pretty sharp and that horns can be shouty and I was almost certain it was that, looks like I was wrong as the Elacs have a soft dome tweeter...

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

I would consider your WiFi router

ears ringing is a frequent complaint

Not sure if this is a joke, but I've been having a WiFi router a lot longer than I had problems with ears, also the problems are closely related to speaker use. Its not just high frequency tone (cca 15kHz), 2 days ago i got a bit nauseous a few hours later, the ears take a bit of time to get back to normal

I'm loaning a Pioneer vintage amp from a friend in a few days to test again, at least that way I will rule out class D amps

I would really like to enjoy my speakers, I like the sound and some weird problem is preventing me from doing so

Edited by Denix8

1 hour ago, Denix8 said:

Not sure if this is a joke, but I've been having a WiFi router a lot longer than I had problems with ears, also the problems are closely related to speaker use. Its not just high frequency tone (cca 15kHz), 2 days ago i got a bit nauseous a few hours later, the ears take a bit of time to get back to normal

Yes there are a lot of complaints about ringing and Wifi

I too am hesitant with the metal drivers.

Has anyone measured the frequency spectrum and range on metal drivers ?

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 5:43 PM, Bubo said:

Yes there are a lot of complaints about ringing and Wifi

I too am hesitant with the metal drivers.

Has anyone measured the frequency spectrum and range on metal drivers ?

Wow interesting, I thought since WiFi is so high in frequency it couldn't cause problems but I guess we learn something new every day

Yeah I'm still a bit suspicious about metal drivers, but can't pinpoint anything on them (yet). That's why I went with speakers with at least soft dome tweeter. Its hard to find speakers that have everything one wants

I measured those ELAC speakers that I ordered as a replacement a few days ago with UMIK-1, they have metal midrange and woofer, I appended the file to a few posts back, but I don't know how to read other charts (than SPL)

On 11/30/2021 at 12:38 AM, MirkosMangle said:

I would assume that earphones have more influence on our hearing than speakers. I also don't understand what is so special about Klipsch speakers which cause tinnitus/worsen it. 

Yeah I would too, maybe mine aren't high end enough haha

I would guess that since they have horn and metal tweeter its the detail and high frequencies (paired with wrong amp?). This agrees with some people and disagrees with others

On 11/30/2021 at 3:24 AM, geoff. said:

...less distortion begs louder listening levels?

True, but today I went on testing with vintage Pioneer SA-610 and it had less negative impact than Yamaha RX-V450. It was still not completely comfortable, but not nearly as horrible. I measured SPL with UMIK-1 and it rarely went over 83dBC. Which leads me to guess its detailness of speakers + detailness of amp that can sum up and play with brain? Those crispy sharp highs? Hmm

Edited by Denix8

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is this stuff is complicated and I'm not qualified on most of it.  "Audio-people" experiencing tinnitus, however, has been fairly common in my interactions.  I've become hyper-sensitive to 6.some kHz over the years.  I also have had very mixed luck with titanium in transducers to the point where I don't even try them any more.  I have no explanation and I know other people are completely fine with them.  Absolutely first thing I'd do (because it's easiest) is run an extension cord to your Yamaha from a completely separate electrical run somewhere else as a test.  That'd be more secondary in my exp, than the computer power riding down your audio cable.  Even with ferrite beads on both ends of my computer audio cable and the destination unplugged, it radiates enough to mess with an FM tuner by proximity alone (and it's a really good computer power supply).  Check also your audio cable routing--get it away from power and cross them at right angles.  If those kinds of experiments get you anywhere, see if there's someone who can get a spectrum analyzer on your stuff.  The world is full of RF, oscillation, trashy power, and radiating electronics.  The directions are myriad so hard data is about mandatory to prevent blind flock-(trouble-) shooting.  Just the word computer anywhere near audio has my bias hackles-up--I've just experienced so much grief from devices (and lighting) messing with audio that I can't even start.  Good luck and please keep us posted. 

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, Pollyyyy said:

The quality of the listening environment can also play a role.

2 hours ago, miafricker said:

The risk of tinnitus was the reason I stopped going to live concerts. Even though I like all kinds of music, I mostly attended jazz concerts because the quality payout is the highest, but they can be extremely loud too because many are heavily electrified.

2 spammer accounts right here.