LSBR La Scala Value

Jefe

3k seems high for that age. La Scala are in pretty hi demand but personally I would not go beyond 1500- 2000 depending on condition and upgrades if any. The market you are in can have an effect as well as shipping is problematic.

• Like 1

I agree about photos and condition.

I've said this before...

I'd rather buy a LaScala with trashed drivers and a pristine cabinet verses a LaScala with a trashed cabinet with perfect drivers.  For me, it's all about the box.  The drivers can be easily replaced.

Also, as jimjimbo mentions....  any upgrades?  Is the crossover original?  That seems to be the first place people go to update.   Then you get the morons in here like me that talk about taking it to a 2-way and bypassing the stock mid/high horns altogether!

It's all a function of time & money.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Coytee said:

I've said this before...

I'd rather buy a LaScala with trashed drivers and a pristine cabinet verses a LaScala with a trashed cabinet with perfect drivers.  For me, it's all about the box.  The drivers can be easily replaced.

Also, as jimjimbo mentions....  any upgrades?  Is the crossover original?  That seems to be the first place people go to update.   Then you get the morons in here like me that talk about taking it to a 2-way and bypassing the stock mid/high horns altogether!

It's all a function of time & money.

I would agree with Coytee, but the thing that most impacts the price is location.

Up here in Canada, supply and demand can really impact the price.

I ended up going the other route and paid $650cnd ($480usd), for this functional... but VERY cosmetically challenged pair that were 1/2 hour drive away.

Point is, with a little work even rough looking ones can look good again.

But changing a component or 2, is certainly less work!

On 12/4/2020 at 8:48 AM, jimjimbo said:

In today's market, $2K and up, depending on condition and upgrades.

$3K is high if they are original.

Have had lots of experience with La Scalas in the last two years......

Photos would help.

Here they are. I am supposed to pick them up today.....let me know what you think.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1009092550/

29 minutes ago, Jefe said:

Here they are. I am supposed to pick them up today.....let me know what you think.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1009092550/

welcome to the forum , these are 1979  Lascala raw birch speakers that were stained , by the owner , you can see the stain run off on the rear serial no tags at the rear ,

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Lovely.  Enjoy.  Nice that they are relatively local to you.

Thank you. She agreed to take $2400 for them. One of the speakers has some relatively small nicks on the front of the woofer folded horn. Right on the front edge. What would it take to make those disappear? 

3 minutes ago, Jefe said:

One of the speakers has some relatively small nicks on the front of the woofer folded horn. Right on the front edge. What would it take to make those disappear? 

-   wood filler mixed with saw dust  , then a light sanding with 1000 grit could smooth out the surface ,  and you can re stain the speaker  darker to look like walnut

• Like 1

Congrats on finding a pair close to you. The La Scala’s are special speakers. The value of those speakers is what you are willing to pay for them. You could probably find a better deal if you are willing to wait. That could be weeks, months, or years. In my opinion, life is too short for that. Enjoy!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Congrats on finding a pair close to you. The La Scala’s are special speakers. The value of those speakers is what you are willing to pay for them. You could probably find a better deal if you are willing to wait. That could be weeks, months, or years. In my opinion, life is too short for that. Enjoy!

Thank you so much! Words of wisdom right there!

45 minutes ago, Jefe said:

Thank you so much! Words of wisdom right there!

the reasoning behind the Raw Birch Lascala was to allow the client to  add the veneer or the stain of his choice or to leave the  Raw Birch unfinished -

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the reasoning behind the Raw Birch Lascala was to allow the client to  add the veneer or the stain of his choice or to leave the  Raw Birch unfinished -

Veneer was not added at the factory.  Only factory stained/oiled/lacquered.