Feet for La Scalas

Jefe

On 12/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, Jefe said:

If they did it looks like the original owner at some point added extra pieces of plywood with plastic feet on them. Here's the bottom.

take off the plastic on 3 legs , the wood is all you need

I forgot what I put under my Belle clones but they are getting furniture sliders now so I can move them around on occasion.  ;)

Actually when I first built them, i put furniture sliders that nailed on and had the felt pads for our wood floors at that point. Now they are on carpet upstairs thus the reason for carpet sliders now. 

On 12/6/2020 at 5:37 PM, Jefe said:

If they did it looks like the original owner at some point added extra pieces of plywood with plastic feet on them. Here's the bottom.

20201206_182929 (1).jpg

Those metal button feet, combined with the flat bottoms or the original La Scalas, make them easy to slide around on carpet floors. With the La Scala II, things are not so simple.  Not only is each speaker 50 lbs/23 kg. heavier (175 lbs/80 kg for LS2 versus 125 lbs/57 kg. for La Scala), the bottoms of the La Scala IIs are an open box style, with square corners.  This means that they don’t slide easily on carpet.  Instead, they tend to dig in, even after the heavy mf/hf sections are removed.

This means that La Scala IIs have to be moved very carefully, in order to avoid warping, bending, or cracking anything.

2 hours ago, Islander said:

Those metal button feet, combined with the flat bottoms or the original La Scalas, make them easy to slide around on carpet floors. With the La Scala II, things are not so simple.  Not only is each speaker 50 lbs/23 kg. heavier (175 lbs/80 kg for LS2 versus 125 lbs/57 kg. for La Scala), the bottoms of the La Scala IIs are an open box style, with square corners.  This means that they don’t slide easily on carpet.  Instead, they tend to dig in, even after the heavy mf/hf sections are removed.

This means that La Scala IIs have to be moved very carefully, in order to avoid warping, bending, or cracking anything.

Why the difference in weight between the original La Scala and La Scala II? Is there a difference in sound?

The La Scala II is made of 1” thick MDF, while the original La Scala is made of 3/4” plywood.  That’s most of the weight difference.  The LS2 is built in two pieces, the bass bin and the MF/HF section, in order to make it easier to move.  The La Scala II does sound better.  The stiffer sidewalls of the bass horn prevent any loss of bass frequency energy due to flex of the sidewalls, so the speaker produces more bass, and even sounds like the bass goes deeper, although it actually doesn’t.

However, if you just want to slightly change the direction of the speakers, shifting the LS2 speakers is much more difficult than shifting the original La Scalas, especially if they’re on deep plush carpet.  It’s always something...

1 hour ago, Jefe said:

Why the difference in weight between the original La Scala and La Scala II? Is there a difference in sound?

Besides the the major difference in the cabinets the crossovers are completely changed. All poly caps, air core chokes. Looks much more modern. No motor run caps, autoformers, and ferrite core chokes. 

And real binding posts, no more screw terminals for the speaker cables.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, RandyH000 said:

wish I had LSII cabinets , much stiffer

Those cabinets look much better, too.  The early La Scala cabinets came in a “Utility Finish”, meaning it was easy to see the nails that held them together, and the black-painted plywood of the cabinets.  On stage, this was fine, since a few dents and scratches were just part of touring and stage use.

In your living room, though, you could run into objections from your partner, as Paul Klipsch himself ran into from his first wife, Belle.  Ever the gentleman, Paul created the Belle Klipsch, a more living room and partner-acceptable speaker.  Instead of being around 24” x 24” in footprint, it’s more like 30” wide and 18” deep, in a selection of attractive veneers, and had a few other appearance upgrades.  The bass horn is around the same length, but the squawker horn is the K500, a few inches shorter than the K400/401 horn used in the La Scala.

Other than the improved bass response of the La Scala II, the performance differences between the La Scala and the Belle Klipsch are minor, but the appearance improvements can’t be missed.  However, when many of the Heritage Series speakers were updated in 2006, the new La Scala II was similar enough to the Belle Klipsch to make the Belle Klipsch redundant.  Accordingly, it was removed from the lineup, with 2005 being the last year of Belle Klipsch production.

The Belle Klipsch did make a better TV stand than the La Scala, but that was not reason enough to keep it in production.  The preceding story has been told many times, but I thought I would include it for the benefit of newer Klipsch fans and recent members of the Forum.

On the last few projects of mine I have used these Parts Express rubber feet, I think they do a great job and do not

run the risk of scratching wooden floors like those Klipsch OEM metal feet.

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-elcom-f1615-rubber-cabinet-foot-17-dia-x-075-h--260-7712

They do not slide, which I think is a good thing, but they do have enough height that you can walk the cabinets to move them.

510_Top_Hat_Feet.thumb.jpg.e7073f80d5e32bd441fa99610c1139c0.jpg

LS_Feet.thumb.jpg.9bff12188b1c165804ec0e4eed54b5cc.jpg

Jub_Feet.thumb.jpg.2ef3ef94659d23c3c17cc70301b92735.jpg

• Like 2