Fisher X100 Restoration

seti

IMG_1357.jpeg.91c6218ec0cca402752d71a2615fb35e.jpeg

This Fisher X100 wasn in rough shape. It had a few blown resistors. The faceplate had been butchered in the 90's so I went ahead and cleaned and polished it. I think it is brass.. Maybe... Nothing fancy here just replaced the electrolytics with some from Hayseed Hamfest and replaced the rest of the caps with WIMAs. There isn't much room so no space for fancy stuff. I still need to put lettering on the faceplate and open to suggestions on that and I'd like a nice wooden cabinet for it. The EL84 are russian tubes I inherited from @Daddy Dee so I hope he is smiling on me for this one. This Fisher sounds really good. Now to restore the tuner.

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.a73156eba01f92e89beddf6d4a51919f.jpeg

IMG_1370.thumb.jpeg.dc810fab5ab76de948d7aedc590a792d.jpeg

I like the fancy mesh for the power cord..

IMG_1371.thumb.jpeg.28edfbe984f00027b9a91e72e0819ee6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seti,

I just finished the same amp a few months ago.  I sounded great until a week ago when the left ch. died. Traced it down to the volume

control.  I tried taking it apart and cleaning but it still did not work so ordered one off eBay but don't have it yet.  It looks like you may have the same one.  I also use the same Hayseed caps.  I will post pics later today.

x100 1.jpg

x100 5.png

x100 2.jpg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rigma said:

Seti,

I just finished the same amp a few months ago.  I sounded great until a week ago when the left ch. died. Traced it down to the volume

control.  I tried taking it apart and cleaning but it still did not work so ordered one off eBay but don't have it yet.  It looks like you may have the same one.  I also use the same Hayseed caps.  I will post pics later today.

That is awesome. That on/off/pots/combo thing does not age well and mine was broke. The guy on ebay sold me that and the Jewell for the frontpanel... The hayseed caps are so good they are now my go to for vintage gear. I have two Fisher tuners I am about to start on as well...

I love the Fisher X100. It sounds great. Now I am looking for a way to do the frontpanel lettering and trying to talk a friend into building a wood cabinet for it..

Post some pics!!!!

Ian,

You could make a template for all the lettering using the graphics program of your choice. Scan the faceplate and do the lettering to fit on a different layer. If the faceplate is solid brass you should be able to get it etched and silkscreened at a reasonable cost.

Beautiful amp. I never find gear like that around here.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Ian,

You could make a template for all the lettering using the graphics program of your choice. Scan the faceplate and do the lettering to fit on a different layer. If the faceplate is solid brass you should be able to get it etched and silkscreened at a reasonable cost.

Beautiful amp. I never find gear like that around here.

Bruce

It was a facebook ad I paid 200 for the x100 and a tuner. Met him in a parklot and didn't get robbed lol...

I found a site that did rub off lettering but it isn't cheap. Should look good. Trying to clean up some logos.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, seti said:

It was a facebook ad I paid 200 for the x100 and a tuner. Met him in a parklot and didn't get robbed lol...

I found a site that did rub off lettering but it isn't cheap. Should look good. Trying to clean up some logos.

Don't reletter it, that way people won't mess with your knobs and switches.

• Haha 2

Beautiful units and restorations seti and rigma!

I owned a Fisher X 100 once. It was in great condition. I wish I still had it. I sold it to purchase something else. It was one of the best midrange units I’ve owned. My wife plays piano and she said and I agreed it with my Klipschorns sounded like a real piano. 

• Like 1