Pioneer SX1250 Restoration

luddite

I have acquired a SX 1250 in original condition.  

I thought it would need just a good clean up, but closer inspection reveals more.  

There is surface corrosion on the jacks at the rear of the unit, and what I hope is just surface rust (or pitting) on the chassis.  

The shaft for the balance knob has a slight bend.  The unit was stored for an extended period, and it shows.  

The good news is that it is fully functional, and works as it should.  

I would like to have it restored to as new condition.  I have seen listings on eBay for "restoration services", but have no knowledge of who is reputable.  

Anybody have a good Pioneer repair/restoration resource?  I am willing, and expect to have to ship it.  

I'd like to keep the amp for a while.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, luddite said:

I have acquired a SX 1250 in original condition.  

I thought it would need just a good clean up, but closer inspection reveals more.  

There is surface corrosion on the jacks at the rear of the unit, and what I hope is just surface rust (or pitting) on the chassis.  

The shaft for the balance knob has a slight bend.  The unit was stored for an extended period, and it shows.  

The good news is that it is fully functional, and works as it should.  

I would like to have it restored to as new condition.  I have seen listings on eBay for "restoration services", but have no knowledge of who is reputable.  

Anybody have a good Pioneer repair/restoration resource?  I am willing, and expect to have to ship it.  

I'd like to keep the amp for a while.  

Location?

I'm in Memphis.  

And, I've shipped many pieces, including Mac units with the fragile glass fronts, without issue.  

I'm not afraid to send the reciever off to a good repairman.  

It will be well packed; I would like the restoration to be the same.  

I do have a couple of places locally I use for repairs, but would not trust them to make the receiver as new.  

58 minutes ago, luddite said:

I'm in Memphis.  

And, I've shipped many pieces, including Mac units with the fragile glass fronts, without issue.  

I'm not afraid to send the reciever off to a good repairman.  

It will be well packed; I would like the restoration to be the same.  

I do have a couple of places locally I use for repairs, but would not trust them to make the receiver as new.  

Sending you a PM.

This guy knows his stuff and works for a respected shop in California. https://www.youtube.com/c/JordanPier/featured   No affiliation but I watch many electronic repair videos. I cannot remember what the name of the shop he works at is right now but do some googling and you should be able to find out. Also there is contact information https://www.youtube.com/c/JordanPier/about. Just one, there are others but the electronic technicians are dwindling especially the good ones. Do some research before sending it out for restoration. It is a prize of a receiver to own and cherish. 

Thanks to those who have responded, both within the topic and with PM.  

I have some leads, and will look for others.   

Major dilemma is where major repairs stop and restoration starts.  

I would like it to look and work as new; the SX 1250 was a pretty piece.

But so far it is serious money for a complete restoration; I'm having to rationalize the cash outlay to do so.  

While the receiver is collectable now, I wonder if it will keep its value.  

8 hours ago, luddite said:

While the receiver is collectable now, I wonder if it will keep its value.  

I have no doubt in my mind that it will only increase in value over time. 

There is a lot of time involved in a complete restoration. Any biz that is trying to make a profit is going to be expensive. With some searching and patience you may find someone that will do the restoration that is retired and competent. My opinion is only those with personal attachment will spend the big bucks with a shop for a complete restoration. This guy is competent from all appearances and does work for a hobby at home. Would not hurt to ask if and what price.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRx5TQd00NOjK5D7VB6pHyA

Another question involves the restoration itself. Old parts are replaced with new, sometimes “as close to original as possible”, and sometimes “to improve the sound”. If I want the unit as original requires one restoration; and an improvement requires another. Like a classic car restored to as it came off the showroom floor VS the same car as a resto mod. And I’m not sure I can tell the restorer which to do. 

A little vague on what the restorer is talking about. If one is talking replacing mica caps with film, sure that is what you want to do. Again if we are talking caps the original value may not be available. Cap values have been standardized to specific values these days. For instance if the old part is 50uf what is available is 47uf and is acceptable. Just an instance. Talk to restorer and see what he means by statement. 

Another example is a transistor that is known to get noisy over time. You would want it replaced with a modern one with same specs. Clarification is need on what is meant by statement.  

Absolutely a great person to rebuild your SX1250 is Paul of http://www.manymoonsaudio.com/ @paul79

He has done multiple rebuilds for me including a beautiful SX1250!  There is quite a backlog so I imagine it will be a long wait but he will replace everything needed with the best parts for the job and what you will get back is better than new.  A 1250 is worth the effort.

It was more I who was vague with the response. ManyMoons website says he rebuilds for the receiver to sound as it was originally designed. Other sites say the unit would be rebuilt to be as good or better than new. But that is in the eyes and ears of the restorer. I like the idea of a restoration as true to the original as possible.