Pioneer SX1250 Restoration

luddite

3 minutes ago, luddite said:

It was more I who was vague with the response. ManyMoons website says he rebuilds for the receiver to sound as it was originally designed. Other sites say the unit would be rebuilt to be as good or better than new. But that is in the eyes and ears of the restorer. I like the idea of a restoration as true to the original as possible. 

I think he said the SX1250 was his first receiver growing up so he definitely knows what it is supposed to sound like.  He doesn't do any boutique kind of stuff to things.  He probably would if you asked him but he will tell you what he thinks.  

I get what you are saying about staying true to the original... I remember some website selling old HH Scott amps that have had their tone controls all disconnected from the amp... I understand doing that on some equipment but I think that is where some of the magic happens on those old Scott amps. 

Also,  I am especially not a fan of the LED lit up with blue lights that some people like to put in their old receivers.  

22 minutes ago, luddite said:

It was more I who was vague with the response. ManyMoons website says he rebuilds for the receiver to sound as it was originally designed. Other sites say the unit would be rebuilt to be as good or better than new. But that is in the eyes and ears of the restorer. I like the idea of a restoration as true to the original as possible. 

Word of mouth from someone that has used him is worth a lot in my book. If you are serious I would give him a call and explain exactly what you want from the restoration. 

10 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I'm not sure what Jim is recommending but you can trust what he tells you, he has had several different units refurbished over the years and knows his stuff.

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.  Have had (5) SX-1250s, 1050s, 950s and 850s over the years.  All of them worthy and benefitted from restores.  The 850 is probably the best "under the radar" unit of the XX50 series, and can normally be purchased for very good prices.

BTW, I recommended Paul Hovenga of Many Moons.  Very nice guy, and stellar work.

Didn’t want to close the discussion because I appreciate the dialogue, but I will send the SX off to ManyMoons. As they say, you get what you pay for. 
I still wonder how “restorers”  determine what to restore. Seems to me that its an all of nothing sort of thing. 

Paul's web site and his work sounds so inviting makes me wish I had something special to send him.  Use to have a cosmetically minty SX-1280 that I sold to a forum member who went by the name Mtnbker or something like that.

Well I do still have a SX-950 that my tax man gave me.  It's in pretty nice shape....probably all original.  Not sure where I would use it though.  Mostly tubes these days but I do have an ATI 1502 that I really like with a tubed preamp.

Now if Paul worked on tube gear I have a very fine looking HK receiver from 1961 that I would send him.

Good thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luddite said:

Didn’t want to close the discussion because I appreciate the dialogue, but I will send the SX off to ManyMoons. As they say, you get what you pay for. 
I still wonder how “restorers”  determine what to restore. Seems to me that its an all of nothing sort of thing. 

You must have had discussion with him and was satisfied with what you heard. You are right about each technician has a different opinion on what restoration means. Pretty much the case with any item actually whether a piece of equipment or an art work. 

Do not forget to let members know how it works out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack this, but a question is connected.

What would be the usual cause of hiss in old receivers and amps? 

I have a 40 year old Akai that works good enough sonically. Two issues, one is occasional louder clics in switches, tried the spray cleaning and it did not go away completely. The other is the slight hiss when the thing is ON, all sources.

If put wrongly, admin can delete or I will post in another theme.