who wouldn't want this - damn cool piece...

Matthews

I've had the original 555 the II and the 5400, 5500 & 5800's I personally really liked the 00 series the best with the mosfet outputs pretty smooth sounding with my Chorus II's.

The 555 II probably had some of the best bass slam of any amp I've owned but I thought the amp was too harsh sounding. The original 555 I had was grainy and kind of weak sounding but it could have been in need of repair I dont know seemed to work fine but I couldn't get away from it fast enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Matthews said:

I would take a BGW 750 over this amp anytime  ---and the BGW 750 can be 40-45  years old , it' s still a great amp   -easy to service , exceptional sound - stable at 2 ohms -but heavy --

1 hour ago, Matthews said:

there are lots of amps I'd take over this one.  I just thought it was cool...

Matt--

--I test run the Adcom 555  in 1985 against the BGW  750C  ,  out of 10 new  amps , 3  failed within 4 hours  and they were very hard on speakers -

- the BGW 750C  amps were 10 years old playing 365 days per year  7h per day -

-  power output  of the Adcom was 200 wpc , the BGW  750C  was also rated at 200 wpc--but it was closer to 250 -

An Equivalent Amp to the BGW 750  series B-C-D-E  was the SAE 2401/A 501 series -rated at 250 wpc ---Pink Floyd toured with these amps -

BGW 750B Power Amp SOLD to Michael! Photo #1125780 - UK Audio Mart

11 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

An Equivalent Amp to the BGW 750  series B-C-D-E  was the SAE 2401/A 501 series -rated at 250 wpc ---Pink Floyd toured with these amps -

I didn't know that. Do you have a site for that?

Everything I have ever read said that Pink Floyd used Phase Linear amps for their tours. Though I do remember reading that they did use some special amps and speakers for the recording DSOTM.  

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I didn't know that  ?

I am surprised , that you did know that -SAE was quite the high end manufacturer  in the -70's - 80's -  they were primarily a high end, expensive  product -even in the Pro Industry which at the time was mostly BGW/CROWN   in the USA/Canada  , and Pink Floyd used their amps  worldwide as  of 1980 as SAE  USA were the 1st  high current / balanced circuits amps in the industry   -

29 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:
2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I didn't know that  ?

I am surprised , that you did know that -SAE was quite the high end manufacturer  in the -70's - 80's -  they were primarily a high end, expensive  product -even in the Pro Industry which at the time was mostly BGW/CROWN   in the USA/Canada 

You're misquoting me, don't do that, that is not what I said. 

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:
13 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I didn't know that. Do you have a site for that?

Everything I have ever read said that Pink Floyd used Phase Linear amps for their tours.

My statement and question was about Pink Floyd using other amps for their tours. What I have read since I was a kid is that they used Phase Linear, which is one more reason I like PL equipment. There are several web sites and a fb page that is totally about Pink Floyd equipment, and there are several entries in AudioKarma, and they all say that PF used Phase Linear. I can provide sites if you need.