Any Clark W. Griswolds on the forum?

BigStewMan

Life ain't all that fun anymore -- if any of you decorate your house for Christmas and would like to snap a photo -- I'll look at them. I could use some cheering up.  Once upon a time, I used to walk through this entire neighborhood where most houses put on some impressive Christmas displays.  That was always a fun night. 

Read about this homeowner in Minnesota that got a nastygram from a neighbor for her SINGLE stream of Christmas lights and ONE illuminated wreath. The letter spoke of the twinkling, colorful lights being a reminder of divisions that continue to run throughout society and the systemic biases against the neighbors that don't celebrate Christmas or who can't afford to put up their own lights. Also some dribble about educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like hers can have. Of course, the letter ends with how the community is welcoming to everyone and the homeowner should respect the dignity of all people and strive to learn from differences.   Yeah, hopefully the homeowner does a better job at learning from differences than the scrooge that wrote the letter. 

• Like 3

Not to get this into a religious discussion but I'm from Minnesota, a very devout Christian but I don't celebrate Christmas.  I would never send something like that to anyone.  Everyone should be able to freely make their own decisions in that regard.

• Like 3

Most of my neighbors put up a few lights (as do we...), but we have one neighbor who has only been here a couple years. He has so many lights up, half of them flashing, I almost have a seizure driving past his house at night. Plus, he pipes music to an outdoor speaker.

With the door closed, we can't hear it, but it's a little over the top. At least he doesn't have artillery out in the front yard.

Christmas is celebrated as the Birthday of Jesus  , the true sense is a day for  , Peace , Shalom , Paz , Pace, Kapayapaan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Life ain't all that fun anymore -- if any of you decorate your house for Christmas and would like to snap a photo -- I'll look at them. I could use some cheering up.  Once upon a time, I used to walk through this entire neighborhood where most houses put on some impressive Christmas displays.  That was always a fun night. 

Read about this homeowner in Minnesota that got a nastygram from a neighbor for her SINGLE stream of Christmas lights and ONE illuminated wreath. The letter spoke of the twinkling, colorful lights being a reminder of divisions that continue to run throughout society and the systemic biases against the neighbors that don't celebrate Christmas or who can't afford to put up their own lights. Also some dribble about educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like hers can have. Of course, the letter ends with how the community is welcoming to everyone and the homeowner should respect the dignity of all people and strive to learn from differences.   Yeah, hopefully the homeowner does a better job at learning from differences than the scrooge that wrote the letter. 

Almost sounds like a private neighborhood homeowners association critique of a member.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I'd go full on Griswold if I got one of those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Unreal. The dim-wit that sent the vile note is flat out stupid.

Some call it brainwashed, it's probably 50/50, can't accomplish the second without starting with the first observation.

The display means exactly the opposite of what it complained about.

• Like 3

Out here in the country we have good neighbors and watch each others back. There are about 23 houses on our County road, some of us put up Christmas decorations, some don't, but we all enjoy seeing the lights. I've scaled way back from my pre-retirement days.

323660016_Lounge-IMG_1982.thumb.JPG.32b99441d8ebdce69dc07bc3893d3f1d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Unreal. The dim-wit that sent the vile note is flat out stupid.

Some call it brainwashed, it's probably 50/50, can't accomplish the second without starting with the first observation.

The display means exactly the opposite of what it complained about.

It's all about keeping up appearance's man. The Jonesers!

Land of the free so they can bite me,there's nothing in the constitution about not being offended and being offended by Christmas decorations is off the charts regardless of your religion or lack there of.

I'm Agnostic but we decorate and enjoy the holiday and I always say Merry Christmas rather than happy holidays.

In this country it's as much a secular holiday as it is a religious one.

This comes under the heading of " what can we be offended by today" ,FFS grow some skin!

For those that are offended by Christmas or the American flag or ? etc. here you go,file a report.💩

butthurt1_2000x.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i "decorate"/put fresh lights up around now.  Nothing elaborate. Just lights in the trees as far as I can reach with a 10 foot piece of PVC. About 300ft of lights.

I say "decorate" because I will run the lights until they all burn out,usually mid/late Oct.They're nice in the summer. I can walk around the yard at night, plus the bugs aren't drawn to the doors/windows.

• Like 1

I live in a circle. All my neighbors have some type of decorations for the holiday season including Christmas and Chanukah.

We also decorate for Halloween with lights, scarecrows, headstones etc...

I friggin love it.  
We get random cars driving thru the circle, which is difficult to find, stooping in front of houses to admire the decorations.

We still take the grandkids out looking at Christmas Lights.  It seems there are more and more objects to light up the season every year from Grinches, to Minions, to Mickey.  The kids love it too.

Pix:

My house

My Circle

My neighbor across the street. 

We don’t need any of this to make us happy.  We are simply happy to do it. 

67BBD5B5-0663-4817-A14D-63D0C09FB3A6.jpeg

28E43536-6E5B-4ED5-93CE-CA837E097B6E.jpeg

CD42DA0A-AEDF-40D1-BD59-1EDFB79E2882.jpeg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, JoeDirt said:

I live in a circle. All my neighbors have some type of decorations for the holiday season including Christmas and Chanukah.

We also decorate for Halloween with lights, scarecrows, headstones etc...

I friggin love it.  
We get random cars driving thru the circle, which is difficult to find, stooping in front of houses to admire the decorations.

We still take the grandkids out looking at Christmas Lights.  It seems there are more and more objects to light up the season every year from Grinches, to Minions, to Mickey.  The kids love it too.

Pix:

My house

My Circle

My neighbor across the street. 

We don’t need any of this to make us happy.  We are simply happy to do it. 

67BBD5B5-0663-4817-A14D-63D0C09FB3A6.jpeg

Nice attached shop!

• Like 1