Any Clark W. Griswolds on the forum?

BigStewMan

On 12/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, BigStewMan said:

Life ain't all that fun anymore -- if any of you decorate your house for Christmas and would like to snap a photo -- I'll look at them. I could use some cheering up.  Once upon a time, I used to walk through this entire neighborhood where most houses put on some impressive Christmas displays.  That was always a fun night. 

Read about this homeowner in Minnesota that got a nastygram from a neighbor for her SINGLE stream of Christmas lights and ONE illuminated wreath. The letter spoke of the twinkling, colorful lights being a reminder of divisions that continue to run throughout society and the systemic biases against the neighbors that don't celebrate Christmas or who can't afford to put up their own lights. Also some dribble about educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like hers can have. Of course, the letter ends with how the community is welcoming to everyone and the homeowner should respect the dignity of all people and strive to learn from differences.   Yeah, hopefully the homeowner does a better job at learning from differences than the scrooge that wrote the letter. 

130967739_10158772682634659_772687080210

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
On 12/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, BigStewMan said:

Once upon a time, I used to walk through this entire neighborhood where most houses put on some impressive Christmas displays.  That was always a fun night. 

Just seen this.

We use to decorate, kind of stopped doing it in the yard now just the tree inside and the bar out in the garden has Christmas lights just for lighting.

This was a long time ago but you can get an idea. I did it for my wife mostly, it's also her birthday.

christmas 09 (11).JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Just seen this.

We use to decorate, kind of stopped doing it in the yard now just the tree inside and the bar out in the garden has Christmas lights just for lighting.

This was a long time ago but you can get an idea. I did it for my wife mostly, it's also her birthday.

christmas 09 (11).JPG

I can see it now

12232016-http-www-1020x980.jpg

0009eccb-500.jpg

1502249146_Santahat_t1000_h619ca621ee629

• Haha 2

Are we not missing the true meaning of being Clark Griswold? You know, being screwed from that ginormous end of year bonus you worked so hard to earn? Of course I’m speaking for the other minions in my (past) company that botched and moaned about their pennies on the dollar bonuses’ while I basked in glory and dollars knowing full well my hard work was aptly rewarded at the expense of those other poor souls - Merry Christmas 🎁 (suckers)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, richieb said:

Are we not missing the true meaning of being Clark Griswold? You know, being screwed from that ginormous end of year bonus you worked so hard to earn? Of course I’m speaking for the other minions in my (past) company that botched and moaned about their pennies on the dollar bonuses’ while I basked in glory and dollars knowing full well my hard work was aptly rewarded at the expense of those other poor souls - Merry Christmas 🎁 (suckers)

Just signed my peeps up for the Jelly of the Month Club!

I felt generous this year.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 4:21 PM, richieb said:

the only place that I've received a Christmas Bonus was at the very first place I worked. Back in the 70s and the owner gave everyone a bottle of Jim Beam ... except me, I was underaged (16 years old) so he gave me $25 cash. I probably made out, I doubt Jim Beam cost $25 back then. 

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

the only place that I've received a Christmas Bonus was at the very first place I worked. Back in the 70s and the owner gave everyone a bottle of Jim Beam ... except me, I was underaged (16 years old) so he gave me $25 cash. I probably made out, I doubt Jim Beam cost $25 back then. 

I don't think Jim Beam cost that much today! 

• Like 1