battle: Cornwall IV vs Tannoy Legacy Arden

MeloManiac

19 minutes ago, moray james said:

You can think all you want but no matter how badly you may want something won't necessarily make it so. Tannoy have a round horn (take a tape measure they are well below your seated ears) and they radiate vertically much more so than the rectangular mid horn which a Klipsch uses. You set up a speaker so that you are on axis to the mid driver if you want to hear what it can do. If that is to much trouble for you or it upsets the sensibilities don't feel bad you are in the majority but that doesn't change a thing. The market decides in the end what a product is going to be, how big how much, you can't fight reality and the market does not know anywhere near as much as they would like to think otherwise if they were so smart they would build it themselves. But that's not the case and as a manufacture you do the best that you can given the budget you that you have and the technology available to you and you sell the people as close to what they want as you can.

So you are saying to make sure the Klipsch horn is on axis vertically, correct?  I thought you were talking about the Tannoys needing to be elevated.  Shouldn't the Fortes already be at the correct height by virtue of them being taller and should be at the optimal height relative to normal sitting position.  I could see your point if you are auditioning both and are not seated, but I wouldn't think that would typically be the case.  

Edited by merkinman

I purchased an old pair of Tannoy’s about 25 years ago. These were 70’s vintage. Almost unheard. Found them in Nashville and hauled back. 

I had never heard a large Tannoy, just of the legendary sound quality. The owner had them against a wall, two feet  apart, and had a cheap receiver. Listened for five minutes while the guy’s wife frowned and his kids cried. 

Assumed they would blossom once they were played on my Exemplar Audio 1570B amps. They sounded just like they did against the wall and powered with a cheap receiver. Dynamics were weak and the highs soft. Glad I got them cheap. Sold them to someone who pulled the drivers and shipped off to Japan. 

I blamed Harvey Rozenburg. He felt the Churchill’s were the best speakers available then. These speakers were not Churchill’s, not Gold drivers, old discontinued, but big and heavy. They did not seem to be 90 dB efficient and were rolled off. Bass was okay, not great.

Never heard another large Tannoy. Only some Tannoy monitors a friend had in his mixing room. But pics of the 6,000.00 model carried by Upscale look enticing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, merkinman said:

So you are saying to make sure the Klipsch horn is on axis vertically, correct?  I thought you were talking about the Tannoys needing to be elevated.  Shouldn't the Fortes already be at the correct height by virtue of them being taller and should be at the optimal height relative to normal sitting position.  I could see your point if you are auditioning both and are not seated, but I wouldn't think that would typically be the case.  

I am saying that you need to place the mid driver (or mid/tweeter in the case of the Tannoy) at your seated ear level which varies between 38 - 41 inches up off of the floor. You might look at some polar plots of cones domes and horns off axis to get a better idea of what is happening.

The modifies H3 in the photo below are up on tall four post Skylan Stands which place the centre of the mid horn at my seated ear level.

Klipsch Heresy 3 on Skylan Stands.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a pair of Tannoy System 12 monitors about 20 years ago. Actually my first Ebay purchase, I believe I paid under $500 for them. A wonderfully accurate speaker, but quickly sold when I found my Klischorns.

I had a pair of Fortes at the time and in direct comparison the Fortes were way more dynamic, but less accurate and balanced. The at the time stock 1976 Klipschorns ate their lunch in all metrics. A good set of System 12s run more than a $1,000 now, their bigger brother (System 15) are over $2,000.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Not that it matters, but Kevin seems to like Tannoy. Kind of a funny beginning.

Kevin's videos are pretty funny sometimes and he does love his Tannoy speakers. They sound really good in his listening room at Upscale and are beautifully made but I still think they look frumpy.

55 minutes ago, tromprof said:

I was lucky enough to find a pair of Tannoy System 12 monitors about 20 years ago. Actually my first Ebay purchase, I believe I paid under $500 for them. A wonderfully accurate speaker, but quickly sold when I found my Klischorns.

I had a pair of Fortes at the time and in direct comparison to the Fortes were way more dynamic, but less accurate and balanced. The at the time stock 1976 Klipschorns ate their lunch in all metrics. A good set of System 12s run more than a $1,000 now, their bigger brother (System 15) are over $2,000.

Not directly related to the thread or your post, but you might get a kick out of this.  Our then 12 year-old older son (photo shows him at slightly more than 12) was allergic to pet dander, so no cats or dogs allowed.  One evening he put on an elaborate presentation using foam board exhibits to convince us the perfect pet for him was a chinchilla.  

Max joined our family.  I built the multi-level cage, including a cooler as his sleep chamber.  Chinchillas can live 20 years, our son went off to college and the Army, but Max stayed with us.

Chinchillas are nocturnal, so by day Max was asleep in the cooler.  When visitors, especially children, wanted to see Max we had a sure-fire solution . . . live trombone music.  Max would scamper out whenever our younger son played his trombone.  Eventually, merely the sound of opening the case would summon Max.  It had to be LIVE trombone.  An excellent recording of Bill Watrous had no effect.  Live saxophone music did not appeal to Max.

FYI.  Do you know how many chinchillas it takes to make a coat?  

Three hundred, because their hands are so tiny.

Happy Holidays!

57B697A0-6C35-4A8B-A751-4FAFA7990ED0.jpeg

500D3CED-35FD-4BD0-A53A-AB997E0C21A9.jpeg

15EB019F-D4AD-426D-A0C8-C2AAB37C1F33.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fido said:

Kevin's videos are pretty funny sometimes and he does love his Tannoy speakers. They sound really good in his listening room at Upscale and are beautifully made but I still think they look frumpy.

Frumpy? By that you mean a square or rectangular box made of 3/4 or 1” ply would that apply to many a Klipsch offering - Heresy, Forte, Cornwall of any vintage? I have a pair Volent floorstanders in piano black that make any pair of Klipsch I own look like a budget line speaker, sonics notwithstanding— 

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

Frumpy? By that you mean a square or rectangular box made of 3/4 or 1” ply would that apply to many a Klipsch offering - Heresy, Forte, Cornwall of any vintage? I have a pair Volent floorstanders in piano black that make any pair of Klipsch I own look like a budget line speaker, sonics notwithstanding— 

The Tannoy speakers we saw at Upscale are beautifully constructed and woodwork and metal work looks very high end but they are too ornate for my wife and my taste. Looks like speakers you might find in a more formal frumpy retirement home. But whatever floats your boat. Lol - I’m sure piano black would look much more contemporary.

• Like 1

Here in Europe, the battle is even finer because the Cornwall IV cost € 7,990 a pair* and the Tannoy Arden Legacy € 7,800. It's only 190 € apart or only about $ 230 for the pair, it's really thin 😜

* When I think I bought my pair of Cornwall III 3000 € per pair, delivered home on a pallet, in 2016 the increase is amazing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richieb said:

I would have to agree that Tannoy look too vintage and overdone.  Unless you live at Buckingham Palace, they are just too ornate.  I think the Klipsch Heritage speakers have a retro modern look and fit in much better with any decor.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, merkinman said:

I would have to agree that Tannoy look too vintage and overdone.  Unless you live at Buckingham Palace, they are just too ornate.  I think the Klipsch Heritage speakers have a retro modern look and fit in much better with any decor.  

Agreed, but I can see why they appeal visually to others.  Who am I to criticize speaker aesthetics?  I swim in a sea of DIY Duratex?

A4751B20-D2E1-4EA5-AAA8-3C892909EE70.thumb.jpeg.56e3ca4ad7a70a2cec193dda6fc8c989.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, Fido said:

Tannoy speakers sound incredible. I think they look frumpy but they do sound amazing. Upscale Audio carries them and when I auditioned my Primaluna amp they played thru Tannoys and they blew my mind.

Were these still sitting there?

45543592691_57f5769754_k.jpg

30602561937_b8290173f1_k.jpg

• Like 3