New-ish to me amp dilemma

mprowland

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE**  I dropped it off at Gibson's on the 14th and picked it up on the 23rd.  They replaced a pair of transistors on each of the 5 channels.    The channels are now silent and it sounds amazing.  The cost was $240 (plus the 1.5 hour drive each way).  Outlaw wanted $100 per channel plus the shipping of $170 EACH way.  This could have been $700-$800 fiasco.  I probably would have sold it at a huge loss if this were my only option.   I am extremely happy considering my other options.  My total amount for the amp and repair were a touch more than I wanted to spend, but in the end, everything worked out.    Thanks again for the help!!!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mprowland said:

**UPDATE**  I dropped it off at Gibson's on the 14th and picked it up on the 23rd.  They replaced a pair of transistors on each of the 5 channels.    The channels are now silent and it sounds amazing.  The cost was $240 (plus the 1.5 hour drive each way).  Outlaw wanted $100 per channel plus the shipping of $170 EACH way.  This could have been $700-$800 fiasco.  I probably would have sold it at a huge loss if this were my only option.   I am extremely happy considering my other options.  My total amount for the amp and repair were a touch more than I wanted to spend, but in the end, everything worked out.    Thanks again for the help!!!!  

Glad you got it fixed and didn't get hit too bad on the price. I'm curious how it sounds with those speakers? Did it replace another amp, or just now adding an amp?

On 12/25/2020 at 11:55 PM, Ceptorman said:

Glad you got it fixed and didn't get hit too bad on the price. I'm curious how it sounds with those speakers? Did it replace another amp, or just now adding an amp?

I love it with my speakers.  I tend to listen to newer music though(Glass Animals, Awolnation, Silversun Pickups etc...)  This type of music seems to be half instrument and half electronic.  Speakers that are designated as "Home Theater" such as the RF-7ii seems to thrive with this type of music, to me anyways.  I'm not a tube fan and have had upgraded Cornwalls in the past and didn't care for them at all.  Needless to say, take my opinion with a grain of salt!  The amp I had before was a Parasound HCA-1200ii.  The Outlaw definitely has better midrange and has more "sparkle" on the high end.  I did a test and had the Outlaw on one speaker and the Parasound on the other.  The Outlaw was noticeably better.  My wife picked out the "Outlaw speaker" every time.  The Parasound is also older, maybe the caps need replacement?

1 hour ago, mprowland said:

The Outlaw was noticeably better.  My wife picked out the "Outlaw speaker" every time.  The Parasound is also older, maybe the caps need replacement?

the Outlaw products have always been  crisp and clear as crystal , but recapping a Parasound with the latest Nichicon audio caps would equal the Outlaw as these new caps are known to give the extra sparkle -