Zener diode alternative for AA's

Alexander

Was looking to build a pair of AA's from scratch and looking into the tweeter protection of the (for now) OEM k77's. Checking with Crites for zener diodes and found they cost $100 for the set. Being that this price is way out of the price range to work with what have some of you used as an alternative?

The OEM tweeters will be replaced early on so just can not justify the money spent.

Thinking of polytechnics but what value would be used if they are an option?

5 minutes ago, Alexander said:

The OEM tweeters will be replaced early on so just can not justify the money spent.

Then leave the zeners out and don't run your amp at 11.  As a temporary fail safe I've heard of people using small incandescent bulbs.  Maybe someone will chime in and confirm.

• Like 1

Those prices are certainly surprising. Using your AA crossover, you already have a 3rd order high pass on the tweeter so I would not worry about it (assuming you don't do anything outrageous). 

If you have a general interest in tweeter protection then do a search on some threads from DJK regarding "bulb protection" or something like that (if the power ran high, the signal was sent through a bulb, to dissipate the power).

-Tom

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Was looking to build a pair of AA's from scratch and looking into the tweeter protection of the (for now) OEM k77's. Checking with Crites for zener diodes and found they cost $100 for the set. Being that this price is way out of the price range to work with what have some of you used as an alternative?

Thinking of polytechnics but what value would be used if they are an option?

polytechnics ? where did I get that? Ment to say polyswitch 🙄 

And I am by no means a cranker - so maybe I could get by with out them. Just want to keep the OEM AA xovers untouched

4 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

If you have a general interest in tweeter protection then do a search on some threads from DJK regarding "bulb protection" or something like that (if the power ran high, the signal was sent through a bulb, to dissipate the power).

I know that John Albright's DHA2 crossover had a #561 bulb in it. Bulb technology has changed a lot, so the same #561 can now be a halogen, L.E.D., or older filament bulb. I may have some of Dennis' notes where he says what bulb to use. The bulb goes in series with one leg of the tweeter, and as the current to the tweeter goes up, past a certain point, the filament will actually light up (the resistance goes up with a tungsten filament as the current goes up... almost zero resistance when cold, which is why most bulbs blow when they are first turned on.). Some people say you can tell it's in the circuit, and some can't tell.

PE sells them for crossovers:

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-crossover-tweeter-protector-lamp--260-231

BTW, I think Community Light and Sound used to use bulbs in their crossovers, and they were placed in the cabinet where they could be seen from the mix position during concerts, so the sound man/woman knew to turn the gain down a little.

I thought the K77 was only good up to about 5 watts. 🤔

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, babadono said:

How about 5 watt just for some safety? 48 cents a piece.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micro-Commercial-Components-MCC/1N5338B-TP?qs=O2qRfqcg9D9h8Rr8o5cE%2BA%3D%3D

I'll bet those 10 watt metal stud parts were a lot cheaper back in the day, supply and demand etc....

Those should work just fine. In real world the tweeters should never see more than a few watts. My original Xovers did not have the zeners. After kids  blowing a few tweets over the years I just fused my speakers with a fast blow 1 -1/4 amp fuse and never blew a tweeter again. Another option is to just buy a set of Crites tweeters and never worry about them again. 

18 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Those should work just fine. In real world the tweeters should never see more than a few watts. My original Xovers did not have the zeners. After kids  blowing a few tweets over the years I just fused my speakers with a fast blow 1 -1/4 amp fuse and never blew a tweeter again. Another option is to just buy a set of Crites tweeters and never worry about them again. 

That was going to be my suggestion. Fuses are a cheap, effective solution.

Of course you'll have to find which fuses sound better with tube amps vs. solid state. 😀

I never thought about fuses sounding better with SS or tubes. Possible I guess but I will venture to say negligible difference. There are drawbacks with using the thin wire fuses but I really have not had any problems using fuses. I do a lot of building and testing of audio equipment swapping them in and out of my system and would not use my speakers without fuses to protect them. Crap happens. Anyone just has to look inside drivers and speaker voice coils if one wants to see what tiny wires look like. Right now I am not using diodes on my AA's and even if I did not have fuses I probably would not. If the tweeters blow I would just buy a set of Crites tweeters and be done with it. That or either put a better tweeter in a box on top of my speakers. Using tweeters that are delicate is something from the past. Sure they sound good but progress has moved on since they were used. Better options are now available. One advantage of tweeter in a box on top is that one can position the tweeter in line with the other drivers. Improves phase differences.