Luxman R-117 and Mute

MC39693

Recently acquired an R-117, no remote.  Looking online, it seems that the R-114 remote has a MUTE function whereas R-115 and R-117 remotes do not have the MUTE button!  Hmmm.  Does anyone know if the R-117 receiver will actually respond to a MUTE function if I were to borrow an R-114 remote and "teach" my Logitech Harmony the MUTE function?

BTW, for anyone looking for a semi-vintage receiver, the R-117 is really very good...

1) 160 watts of good old fashioned power

2) A remote!  and with Logitech Harmony you can teach your universal commands

3) Pre-out ... mine are connected to 2 Velodyne subs

4) Two phono inputs, along with a set of "video" inputs, the composite kind.  But hey, you can just use the audio if you want.

There's an AM/FM receiver in it and I need to setup an antenna to get some reception in my basement.

The R-117 is connected to the output of my Oppo BDP-103, my music server and TT.  This is a happy thing!

I may look at buying an R-114 just for fun, and a second system, and see if I can get the R-117 to respond to a MUTE function or not.

• Like 1

@billybob, there are 2 R-114 in Calgary both with remotes or so the Sellers say.  They are listed at about $190 Cdn.  Might get one for $150 or so... that's an expensive remote, but I do have a second system which is currently using a little chip amp, so ... would my wife notice if a slightly larger black thing is in the bottom of the cabinet?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC39693 said:

BTW, for anyone looking for a semi-vintage receiver, the R-117 is really very good...

That is an understatement.  Selling my minty R-117 a few years back is my biggest A/V regret.

image.jpeg.78bc708d95c23d232bf3209e66f829b7.jpegimage.jpeg.47ad3928504685c3967cd64b0d543ec3.jpeg

I really can't remember if the remote had a mute function.

Enjoy your new toy.

Bill

• Like 1

@willland, I was lucky to find a local one from a guy with a basement full of A/V gear. My only regret is that my Klipsch are in BC and I’m still in Calgary... and I sold my Martin Logan’s so have only used the R-117 with a pair of Cambridge Audio Aero bookshelf speakers. But the R-117 sounds very nice. 

All the images on the web, show the R-117 and R-115 remotes without a MUTE button, but the R-114 remote has a MUTE button. I’m betting that Luxman used the same common command codes, they just took the button away. 

I’ve searched the web and contacted a Luxman official repair facility and no one knows.