La Scala distortion.

Dudeisms

Hi there. I bought a pair of ‘77 La Scalas. All in all they sound great, but there is a distortion gremlin hiding somewhere that only shows up in particular songs. When I use test tones I cannot reproduce the distortion gremlin.

I am trying to figure out if its the tweeter or squawker. Is there any issue if momentarily I unscrew the squawkers with zero issues from my ‘83 Cornwalls and briefly place them in the La Scalas to try to ascertain if the LS mid drivers are the issue?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find a section of a song where the issue happens.  Cover the tweeter or squawker with a wadded up towel and see if the noise goes away. 

I'm assuming it's only one speaker correct?  You can also swap drivers and horns side to side and see which one the problem follows.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Find a section of a song where the issue happens.  Cover the tweeter or squawker with a wadded up towel and see if the noise goes away. 

I'm assuming it's only one speaker correct?  You can also swap drivers and horns side to side and see which one the problem follows.

Open to suggestions.  I have located a second of a song that does it.  It’s hard to tell if it’s just one or both speakers ... and the ‘77 LS have that stapled on screen so I can’t really get to the horns like normal from the front. I could however try swapping the k77’s 

Just now, Dudeisms said:

Open to suggestions.  I have located a second of a song that does it.  It’s hard to tell if it’s just one or both speakers ... and the ‘77 LS have that stapled on screen so I can’t really get to the horns like normal from the front. I could however try swapping the k77’s 

Play one speaker at a time and isolate which speaker it's coming from.  Play only that speaker and try the towel over the grill to block the sound of the individual drivers.  You can also use a paper towel tube to your ear to see if you can isolate it.