Floor Standing Speaker Placement

JoeJoeThe3rd

Paul Klipsch was a genius. I have the Cornwall lll's and placed them as suggested in the Dope from Hope  and that is where they do sound the best. On the long wall of a 16 x 20 room, 

the outside front corner of the speaker 32" from the side wall, 39" from the rear wall toed in 45 deg. witch is 18" , inside front corner of the speaker 21" from the rear wall. I sit in the center of the opposite wall  with my head about 3' from the back wall.

Edited by Gary Snider
  • Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Gary Snider said:

Paul Klipsch was a genius. I have the Cornwall lll's and placed them as suggested in the Dope from Hope  and that is where they do sound the best. On the long wall of a 16 x 20 room, 

the outside front corner of the speaker 32" from the side wall, 39" from the rear wall toed in 45 deg. witch is 18" , inside front corner of the speaker 21" from the rear wall. I sit in the center of the opposite wall  with my head about 3' from the back wall.

Welcome to the Forum! 

@pmsummer, they are still linking to your post, now spanning over two decades.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
The loudspeakers are correctly set up when the Loudspeaker as acoustical source can no longer be localized. This means that the stage front ,depth and width can be clearly located between the L's and even mixing effects can be heard to the left and right of the speakers.

The singer always stands in front of the band, at least during studio productions or on the same level with the band. The solos of certain instruments must be clearly locatable and delimitable.The whole sound spectrum should be balanced at the listening position, from brilliance to sub, and should not have any emphasis in certain FQ spectra, except for the sonic virtues attributed to them, e.g. ... "especially strong bass " . But drums and the bass, the instruments themselves, never tend to hum.

screenshot_2020-10-273fj0q.png

Two-channel stereo system:

(valid for slimline floorstanding Speakers like e.g. Klipsch RF7´s, RF 82, RP 280F , RP 8000 and others not for Klipsch Heritage Line like Forte , CW , LaScala, KHorn )

Figure 1 shows a typical speaker arrangement for a two-channel stereo system.a good starting point would be to form an equilateral triangle of the speakers and your listening position.depending on the size of the room and the distribution arrangement of the furniture,it may be advisable to increase or decrease the distance between the listening position and the line between the two speakers,but maintain a center position with approximately equal distance to both speakers.this will ensure the best stereo effect.Turning the speakers far away from each other slightly inwards towards the listening position will still give a good stereo effect.

Stereo placement for wide sound reinforcement :

If you are primarily interested in hearing the sound from any position in the room, rather than just from a specific seating area, you can move the speakers on adjacent walls far apart to form a large "L", which does not produce a very good stereo effect, but gives you a room-filling, well-balanced sound.If you now draw an imaginary line from the center of the two horns, the axes meet behind the head.This also requires that the listening point  (sofa, couch, or easy chair) in the back area must have at least 3 feet or more distance from the imaginary back wall.

Regards MM

Why does your graph exclude Heritage speakers? Paul Klipsch said that all speakers sound better in the corner toed in 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Why doesn’t your graph exclude Heritage speakers? Paul Klipsch said that all speakers sound better in the corner toed in 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This graphic is a basic guideline for slim and tall floorstanding speakers like the ones listed above. These are conceptually different from a Forte , a CW, LaScala , K-Horn. Even a K-Horn does not necessarily have to be positioned in a corner nowadays, at least not with the current series.

The room and the room acoustics are decisive. It is the measure of all things and decides not only the sound of a speaker but also the ultimate positioning. Loudspeakers that are placed close to the rear and side walls clearly lose spatiality as well as depth and width of the stage. Speakers placed in the corners experience an artificial increase in bass volume of up to 6 dB.

I represent the consistent opinion only free in the room standing speakers project the most balanced sound image and the optimal stage in the room. But ultimately, everyone can decide for himselve and is due to individual sonic preferences.