Classic Audio Loudspeakers, Brighton, MI ????

DizRotus

Claude, @ClaudeJ1, you used to live in Brighton South Lyon, what do you know of this company? I never heard of them until today.  They appear to have been around for a few years selling expensive field coil speakers.  Has anyone here had an opportunity to audition any of their products?

0DA14FFC-FF6B-46B6-84F9-8D68D8AB4CB9.jpeg

BFCAD05C-208D-45A1-B6DF-FFFB1FCAB6C6.jpeg

Yes. The founder used to own a plumbing company and was a huge fan of and strictly had lots McIntosh and JBL, back in the early 80's. I met he and his wife at Almas Hi Fi in Dearborn back then (I was shopping for Sheffield LP's), he showed me photos of his soundstage, which had lots of Mc/JBL stuff. I'm guessing he's retired and sold his Plumbing company and does only Audio now. Classic and Pricey, be the words for me.

I stepped into his room at Axpona 2014 (or 15?) in Chicago and heard all of his products. He makes a JBL Hartsfield clone version of a Corner horn which is very bass shy and would get TROUNCED by a Jubilee! IOW, as a K402/Quarter Pie guy at the time, I thought the Harsfield sounded like doggie doo doo in comparison (probably becasue it wasn't even in a corner AFAICR, duh, but it looked cool. Just remember the Harsfield was JBL's overpriced answer (with overkill drivers and lumber) to the Khorn. We all know who won.

His best sounding speaker is a Bass Reflex with 15" front woofer and a Tractrix horn designed for him by Bruce Edgar. Nice guy who played me lots of good music from a JRiver Laptop. 

But with today's NeoDymium Magnet technology fully in place, I find his use of Field Coil technology of the 1930's to be largely manure and molasses (or a mix of the two), because you have a huge box with power supply just to create a magnet. Claimed sonic superiority is just that, IMHO, a claim to justify the expense. But hey there are plenty of single ended tube guys that love the non-linear performance of those devices also. There's a market for everything, I guess.......................just not my cup of tea either way.

PS: Actually, I used to live in South Lyon and shopped in Brighton, but close enough, aye?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HiFi Heaven said:

I heard a pair in a large meeting room with 20+ people at the MN Audio Society meeting 5? years ago.  Astonishing sound - they did everything right! 

Like the man from Vermont once said....................."Compared to WHAT?"

• Like 1