Need new manual razor, any ideas?

JohnJ

Found something at amazon that was 20% off, handle made of brass and alloys coated with such and such. Add the ten bucks from my kitty there and it wasn't bad at all. Not aggressive is the description of it and uses the cheap double edged blades. So for about the same money (by the time I get a box of blades) as a package of cartridges four years ago I'm set for all next year probably. If one swipe won't do it I'll take another, when I get good at it I can get a slant head for this type that works very well and isn't for beginners. 

Did not go for one of the kits so I won't be sopping suds in a bowl to get it done but I've used a hot washcloth forever to try to soften the stubble like I was taught. Won't be doing pre and post goop either. Darn, I just packed up that aftershave I haven't used in ages. Have witchhazel in the cabinet, don't know what for. Think it would be better than the 91% isopropyl.

3 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

My vote for Bic also.

I abandoned Gillette long ago. They went low on quality and up in price.

You know how when you search for anything that you need and don't want to get out in the traffic? The Bic disposable and a Schick Hydro something or another were mentioned at places that seemed to be open handed and not a paid consultant for the Mekur razor company or some other. Got a kick out of a ten best for 2020 and every single one was gilet starting with a hundred dollar one that heats up!

Design of the one I got is the same as several are, but arrival times weren't good for me. It's a Bevel branded one with a bar below the blade on both sides. It must be in Memphis, if it was at the facility on the north side of town it would be here today.

I'll just have to go slow especially from lip to chin to neck... I can make what I've had skip there at my jaw if I move too quick.

2020 has been the mask year, 2021 will be a year of Change for me.

• Like 1

Sent that thing back, it didn't appear suitable for long term usage. Will try another skipping days now so the cart can last until next week🤞.

Well apparently this is a "stupid" thread :P ask me if I care!

A real (safety) razor is a big change from the ones with cartridges and I'd guess most of us got past the peach-fuzz stage to stubble at two pm for years now.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

There are a couple of short novels by Melville called Typee, and Omoo.  In one of them Melville describes the south Pacific natives as plucking their facial hairs with a clam (or maybe mussel) shell for tweezers.  There are always alternatives.

Oh boy, I'm not too rad anymore! Even though some shells are kind of sharp!