Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
STL

K-84-K motor ?

Recommended Posts

Is the motor on the K-84-K the same as the motor on the K-83-K or K-72-K?  I know those latter two have a different lens than the 84, but the motors on all three look the same physically.  I am guessing in the 72 an 83 motors are indeed different despite looking the same (else there wouldn't be a reason for two distinct parts numbers).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes , K83-84-85 -72K   use the same motor --------------the difference is the horn lenses --

 

-K83--k72 lense-- -Klipsch Vintage Speakers for sale | eBay

 

----K84 ---image.jpeg.c0f6a03308bfb89667550431ee2bf7ff.jpeg

 

K85K Lense

Consumer Electronics KLIPSCH KG 4.2 TWEETER PART # K-85-K Other Speaker  Parts & Comp.

 

klipsch k88k lense

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sure about that K-84-K lens pic?  It was used on the KG3/3.2/3.5 (among others) which has a 90°x40° exponential horn.

post-2398-13819344178526_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RandyH000,

A couple more things that appear incorrect in your post above:

 

1) The pic you call K-83-Ks has dual cut-outs in the flange, but according to Klipsch it was used in the KG-1 (see https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KG-1-Spec-Sheet.pdf) and only has one cut-out.   The K-72-Ks are used in the KG-2 and also has the single cut-out.  So from the naked eye the 72 and 83 appear identical which makes me really wonder if the motors are somehow different -- or perhaps the 72 has ferrofluid and the 83 doesn't (as that difference would be enough to warrant a different part number).

 

2) I know the K-85-Ks are Tractrix because it says that right on the front of the horn in my KG-5.5s.  The same horn in the 4.2 and 5.2 doesn't have it, but when they went to the 4.5 and 5.5 they added it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 12:15 PM, STL said:

 I am guessing in the 72 an 83 motors are indeed different despite looking the same (else there wouldn't be a reason for two distinct parts numbers).

 

It has been discussed on here before that some Klipsch parts while being seemingly identical use different part numbers in different models for sales and inventory reasons, don't know for sure that this is true but it would explain a lot if it were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, STL said:

RandyH000,

A couple more things that appear incorrect in your post above:

 

1) The pic you call K-83-Ks has dual cut-outs in the flange, but according to Klipsch it was used in the KG-1 (see https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KG-1-Spec-Sheet.pdf) and only has one cut-out.   The K-72-Ks are used in the KG-2 and also has the single cut-out.  So from the naked eye the 72 and 83 appear identical which makes me really wonder if the motors are somehow different -- or perhaps the 72 has ferrofluid and the 83 doesn't (as that difference would be enough to warrant a different part number).

 

2) I know the K-85-Ks are Tractrix because it says that right on the front of the horn in my KG-5.5s.  The same horn in the 4.2 and 5.2 doesn't have it, but when they went to the 4.5 and 5.5 they added it.

 

let's see -----klipsch can drive you nuts with their numbers ----k83k was used in Kg1---kg2 ,single cutout ----you're right KG 3 is the same horn lense as the K76-K75-K79 so the K84K

the KG4 used the K74k ---it 's much wider lense -------the KG5 --5.2 -5,5 -4.2 used used the k85k   tractrix lense -   the kG .5 used the k88-dual cutouts -----

 

Klipsch KG2 and positioning | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion ForumsKlipsch Kg1 2 Way Loudspeaker - shopgoodwill.comAnyone know the difference between Klipsch KG 3 and 3.2? : vintageaudio

image.jpeg.1e811a1ae4438fac6410f40d0a411228.jpegimage.jpeg.b5e136f0ca6ec57e87c8b99d96b267b8.jpegKG .5 | Klipsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/13/2020 at 11:52 PM, STL said:

You sure about that K-84-K lens pic?  It was used on the KG3/3.2/3.5 (among others) which has a 90°x40° exponential horn.

post-2398-13819344178526_thumb.jpg

yep you're correct - same lense as the k76--k75-k79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple 83s, three 72s, and one 84 (with broken leads) in a box in my basement.  When I find the time perhaps I will take one diaphragm and try it in all three (different) motors taking a few measurements to see if there are differences.  I have a DMM as well as a LCR meter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...