Scammers

glen not in the valley

Hello everyone.  Beware of any posts from "Shankder".  He put me in touch with a guy in California who has a pair of Klipschorns for sale.

This guy is a scam artist and a con.  I'm pretty sure that "Shankder" and the scam artist are one and the same.

If I'm wrong, then correct me Mr. Skankder!

8 minutes ago, glen not in the valley said:

Hello everyone.  Beware of any posts from "Shankder".  He put me in touch with a guy in California who has a pair of Klipschorns for sale.

This guy is a scam artist and a con.  I'm pretty sure that "Shankder" and the scam artist are one and the same.

Skanky...

• Moderators
On 12/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, glen not in the valley said:

Beware of any posts that say "I have a friend that has a [what you want] his email is youwillsoonbe parted@fromdough. They are all fake, all scams.

I instantly ban anyone putting it in public, if you get a PM with that message, flag it, and we get notice, and we will ban them. They can PM without registering sometimes, so we need heads up lime this.

• Like 5

Yep.  I'm ashamed to say I did lose some money on this deal.  Not a fortune for sure.  I guess when you want something badly, you let your natural defences go and believe in something that is not there.

Of course, I never received the speakers and the seller dropped out of sight.  I'm including his original e-mail in a file as a public service so that it does not happen to someone else.  I'm sure most members on this forum are good, honest people.  After all, aren't we all Klipsch fans!

Original Messag.doc

• Like 2

13 hours ago, glen not in the valley said:

I guess when you want something badly, you let your natural defences go and believe in something that is not there.

pretty common amongst many of us.  once upon a time, I was literally one second, one computer click away from a scam.  my daughter warned me to be careful because she had heard of some scams. this warning came as the finger was ready to click "send."  brother did some investigating and it was a scam. would have only lost like a 750 McRibs worth of money; but still...

I wish I would had someone to warn me as well.  Scammers are the rotten underbelly of society. They are everywhere, in all countries, especially in Asia.  Just once I would like to meet the one who scammed me so I could beat him half to death.   Maybe not the right thing to do, but it would feel good...

Although nothing is foolproof, I would insist upon payment by credit card, PayPal, or some other method that offers some opportunity for recourse.  

Perhaps a couple of test transactions.  You send $25 to the seller and the seller sends $5 back to you.  I doubt a scammer would be willing to do that.  If that is too onerous a burden for an “honest” seller asking for $1,850, then so be it.  Put your trust elsewhere.

I’m trying to sell two amps/AVR on local Kijiji and CAM. Have had 2 contacts that were almost surely scammers... they disappeared when I said, Oh sure, just drop off $1,000 CASH in my mailbox, I’ll count it and then leave the boxed amp/AVR on my doorstep. No returns for any reason!

Seems to dishearten them when CASH is involved.

• Like 1

I'm trying to sell two amps/AVR on local Kijiiji...

I recently put my Klipsch Belles up for sale.  The bullshit enquiries are amazing.  Plenty of offers, but not one person is willing to e-transfer a small deposit to secure the deal.  (Local pick up only). I refuse to give my address to anyone.  I want an alternative meeting place to assess the buyer.  If I'm satisfied, then I will bring the speakers to the location.  It's unfortunate things have to done this way, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glen not in the valley said:

I recently put my Klipsch Belles up for sale.  The bullshit enquiries are amazing.  Plenty of offers, but not one person is willing to e-transfer a small deposit to secure the deal.  (Local pick up only). I refuse to give my address to anyone.  I want an alternative meeting place to assess the buyer.  If I'm satisfied, then I will bring the speakers to the location.  It's unfortunate things have to done this way, but it is what it is.

You sound like a real hassle to deal with. I'm a pretty cautious guy myself, but the hoops you're making people jump through are pretty cumbersome.

• Like 2

Can't live with them, can't live without them...

I did not want to get side tracked on this topic.  However, the Canadian media has identified a source country as responsible for the Canada Revenue (CRA) scam.  It is targeted at seniors who are threatened with arrest for tax arrears.

I brought it up because I'm a victim of a scam.

I am thinking this site should not allow anyone in until they are screened by whatever means possible.

I know a lot of members would say you snooze, you lose.  But I think more can be done to protect members such as verified e-mail and phone numbers held by the administrator.