Scammers

glen not in the valley

8 minutes ago, glen not in the valley said:

I did not want to get side tracked on this topic.  However, the Canadian media has identified a source country as responsible for the Canada Revenue (CRA) scam.  It is targeted at seniors who are threatened with arrest for tax arrears.

I brought it up because I'm a victim of a scam.

I am thinking this site should not allow anyone in until they are screened by whatever means possible.

I know a lot of members would say you snooze, you lose.  But I think more can be done to protect members such as verified e-mail and phone numbers held by the administrator.

Most new members come with questions and not for sale items.

The forum sale and alert function is not a responsible part of Klipsch. If you want to, have a read of the terms there. You will see that most members are aware of scammers, as is practical.

Sorry but alot of us are highly aware. Caveat Emptor is a byword here.

3 hours ago, glen not in the valley said:

Just once I would like to meet the one who scammed me so I could beat him half to death.

That reminds me:

There was a guy who just got out of a really bad divorce with his wife. One day, he found a genie's lamp.

The genie came out and said, "Hello master. I will grant you three wishes but, what ever you wish for your wife gets double."

The guy didn't like that part but he made a wish anyway. For his first wish, he said,

"Genie, I want a house in Hawaii." POOF!!! He got one house, his wife got two. This didn't make him happy but, he made his second wish.

"Genie, I want 2 billion dollars." POOF! He got two billion, his wife four billion. By now, this guy isn't very happy. The genie says, "You have one wish left. I have to remind you, what ever you wish for your wife gets double." The guy says, "Yeah, yeah. I know." So the guy thinks real hard and says "

I got it! Genie, beat me half to death!!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, glen not in the valley said:

I did not want to get side tracked on this topic.  However, the Canadian media has identified a source country as responsible for the Canada Revenue (CRA) scam.  It is targeted at seniors who are threatened with arrest for tax arrears.

I brought it up because I'm a victim of a scam.

I am thinking this site should not allow anyone in until they are screened by whatever means possible.

I know a lot of members would say you snooze, you lose.  But I think more can be done to protect members such as verified e-mail and phone numbers held by the administrator.

Sorry you got scammed but are blaming the website?

Yep.  I guess I have to take some criticism for being scammed.  You'll notice with my attachment that this scammer seem to have a lot of detail about the Khorns.  Someone with knowledge about these speakers, perhaps a member of this site?  Who is the mysterious Shankder?  Are you the ******* enjoying my money?

Today, I sold my Belles so I'm moving on.  It's a new day!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, glen not in the valley said:

Yep.  I guess I have to take some criticism for being scammed.  You'll notice with my attachment that this scammer seem to have a lot of detail about the Khorns.  Someone with knowledge about these speakers, perhaps a member of this site?  Who is the mysterious Shankder?  Are you the ******* enjoying my money?

Today, I sold my Belles so I'm moving on.  It's a new day!

@jimjimbo he's talking to you

On 12/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, glen not in the valley said:

Yep.  I'm ashamed to say I did lose some money on this deal.  Not a fortune for sure.  I guess when you want something badly, you let your natural defences go and believe in something that is not there.

Of course, I never received the speakers and the seller dropped out of sight.  I'm including his original e-mail in a file as a public service so that it does not happen to someone else.  I'm sure most members on this forum are good, honest people.  After all, aren't we all Klipsch fans!

Original Messag.doc 13.5 kB · 15 downloads

you lost close to 2000$ did you file a Police report  --------

i-were any of these telephone numbers active ?

Jose Mello(707) 388-3210 | cell707.263.3464 | office707.263.1712 | fax josemellosscake@gmail.comPO Box 4909 13th Ave, Sacramento, CA 95820

• Moderators

Maybe we can all learn something from this and come up with a list.

What I have seen in the past from @jimjimbo is always insist on photos, of everything. Many people have posted photos here of their speakers, being used by someone else to sell speakers. This happens on all platforms, eBay, Craigslist, all of them. 

If you get a brand new member in this Forum offering to buy or sell you something assume it's a scam until they prove otherwise. 

If the way they want to pay you, or you them, is anything out of the ordinary, walk. Ordinary would be wire transfer, paypal, cash in person at public place, (not sure on this, but I think paypal is good because both sides are verified). Except for cash, the other methods require an account at bank in US. You have to show ID to open an account in US, with SSN or EIN. You have to have an account for paypal. Their scams don't work with traceable funds and they know it. So they want untraceable cash equivalents. Western Union, cash cards from Walmart, etc. 

Call their Bluff-where are you located? Oh, BF Egypt, what a coincidence, I have a good friend there, when can he come by to take a look. I have seen hundreds of instances on here (esp. Craigslist) where someone says I am interested in these speakers in BFE can someone check them out, and they do. If someone is willing to let you come and look at them, it's not a scam. If they have an excuse why they can't show them, it's a scam.

There are dozens more tips I have seen here that can be added. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, glen not in the valley said:

A fraud report has been filed.  Would you believe this guy is still answering his e-mails and is gloating over what he did.  

If anyone is interested his e-mail is:  josemellosscake@gmail.com

He is gloating because typically these scams are run offshore. When word is out in the Audio forums he will switch to McIntosh amps. The gmail account name is meaningless, he probably has 100s of gmail accounts. What's important is the MO of the scam. This one was "I have a friend" and then it will be how you pay.

The phone numbers are fictitious, generated to show an area they want you to think they operate from.

I didn't see earlier, what was the manner of payment in this situation?

There are IRS scams, warrant for arrest scams, a friend or family emails you that they are in jail, or will go to jail if they don't get $400 fast scams. 

• Like 1