Scammers

glen not in the valley

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

a Thread where we can post all the scammers---cool idea --let's call it Scammers Beware , you're busted -

That's a better idea. I get a PM about once a week, sometimes it's a PM that someone flags, and it alerts all Moderators (that is the only time we can see a PM by the way, if we are added, or the PM is flagged), or they send me one direct to say something doesn't add up. I check it out, if it's fishy I PM the new person to get clarification, if no response they get banned as spammers. Sometimes it is clear

This goes back to when Carl asked if anyone got a PM from someone about buying or selling that had zero posts to let him know.

Since March we have had a flood of first time posters asking if something is for sale as their first post, and the items were from 5, 10 years ago or longer. At first we were approving them, but they are just trying to get in so they can wreak havoc.

This week I believe, a first time poster replied to a non-sale thread that they had an item mentioned in a thread they wanted to sell.  I approved it and responded that they would have better luck putting it in GS. Others commented with more tips, I don't know if they did that or not.

We can put names, but it's not very effective. They have 100s of gmail and other addresses. They pop up with a new gmail address in another forum.

It's the method that is the most important thing. And the recent method is to get into a Forum, PM someone who has shown interest in an item in a for sale thread, or put a WTB in a Forum.  These can be very old GS threads.

Scammers don't care about warnings because 99% of them are off-shore, the domestic ones use multiple private mail box places, opened with cash, false credentials. If they are sucessful, they don't go back to that mailbox.

Where should the Scammers Beware thread go? Garage Sale, with a link in alerts? 

31 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Where should the Scammers Beware thread go? Garage Sale, with a link in alerts? 

When I was a part of the competition airgun community, our large classifieds (FS, WTB, WTT, etc.) site had a section where we could enter both good and bad experiences with buyers and sellers (via screen names, avatars, real names) as well as scams.  Of course, it needs to be easily searchable.

Good experience = GREEN button at beginning of post

Bad experience = Red button at beginning of post

Possible scam = Yellow button at beginning of post

These colors made the page postings easily identifiable.  

This forum does need a function like that where we can identify positive experiences with members, as well as negative, in addition to possible scams.  However, this informational section does not need to be FLOODED with links to craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. etc. etc.

There were a number of rules associated with posting on the site, but it shouldn't be too complicated, and only the original poster should be able to comment/edit on their post.  And, no need to say what item was bought or sold.

For example:  Good experience with Michael Johnson (screen name xxxxxx).  Good communication, fast payment, thank you!

Bad experience with John Smith  (screen name xxxxxx).  Poor communication, paid but have not received item, purchased on xx/xx/2021.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, glen not in the valley said:

Hello everyone.  Beware of any posts from "Shankder".  He put me in touch with a guy in California who has a pair of Klipschorns for sale.

This guy is a scam artist and a con.  I'm pretty sure that "Shankder" and the scam artist are one and the same.

If I'm wrong, then correct me Mr. Skankder!

I banned Skankder back on Nov. 25th when I was alerted, either by you, or someone else, that they got a PM from him saying he had a friend in (fill in the blank) that had exactly what you are looking for.

If you received any PM's after the 25th from them (it's a ring of people in Nigeria), please let me know.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

When I was a part of the competition airgun community, our large classifieds (FS, WTB, WTT, etc.) site had a section where we could enter both good and bad experiences with buyers and sellers (via screen names, avatars, real names) as well as scams.  Of course, it needs to be easily searchable.

Good experience = GREEN button at beginning of post

Bad experience = Red button at beginning of post

Possible scam = Yellow button at beginning of post

These colors made the page postings easily identifiable.  

This forum does need a function like that where we can identify positive experiences with members, as well as negative, in addition to possible scams.  However, this informational section does not need to be FLOODED with links to craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. etc. etc.

There were a number of rules associated with posting on the site, but it shouldn't be too complicated, and only the original poster should be able to comment/edit on their post.  And, no need to say what item was bought or sold.

For example:  Good experience with Michael Johnson (screen name xxxxxx).  Good communication, fast payment, thank you!

Bad experience with John Smith  (screen name xxxxxx).  Poor communication, paid but have not received item, purchased on xx/xx/2021.

This is great information and clearly the way to go, but it's going to have to wait for another day, and for someone way above my paygrade.

I'm interested in slowing down scammers and fraud, a system of rating buyers and sellers doesn't address that until it is too late. 

The scammers don't make public posts of items for sale. They PM, "I have a friend". They have zero posts:

I would like to know what else may be floating out there other than this MO.

I lost $2000 USD.  He initially wanted a money transfer via Bitcoin.  I refused and should have bolted at that moment.  He sounded genuine and gave a lot of details about the speakers. He said it was a lot of trouble to ship them, but had the original shipping boxes.

He then proposed a traceable bank transfer to his sister in Victoria, B.C.  Her name is Melody McCrae and she has a genuine Royal Bank account.

I have submitted a fraud report to the local police authorities as her bank account is completely traceable.  She will eventually get a police visit at her home.