Any residential plumbers in the house??

Mighty Favog

Hey y'all...

We've had the same shower valves for about 15-years with no problem. The hot valve (no diverter) started leaking through the shower head about 8- months ago. Since then I've replaced that valve 3-times because the same one starts leaking again. I've replaced it with the same brand/model from Home Depot and Lowes (Danco). But today I went to a plumbing supply company (Winelson) and got one where the packaging looks bit more industrial thinking changing brands might help.

Something I've noticed when I go to swap out a valve is that the small bit of "lubricant"(?) is gone between the two ceramic discs that contact each other that lets the water flow or not.

One other thing, my wife likes to make her instant coffee strait from the faucet. Thus she has the water heater set reeeeeaaaallly high.  Could this be a factor in the lubricant getting washed out of the valve?

15 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Hey y'all...

We've had the same shower valves for about 15-years with no problem. The hot valve (no diverter) started leaking through the shower head about 8- months ago. Since then I've replaced that valve 3-times because the same one starts leaking again. I've replaced it with the same brand/model from Home Depot and Lowes (Danco). But today I went to a plumbing supply company (Winelson) and got one where the packaging looks bit more industrial thinking changing brands might help.

Something I've noticed when I go to swap out a valve is that the small bit of "lubricant"(?) is gone between the two ceramic discs that contact each other that lets the water flow or not.

One other thing, my wife likes to make her instant coffee strait from the faucet. Thus she has the water heater set reeeeeaaaallly high.  Could this be a factor in the lubricant getting washed out of the valve?

Cartridge or washer type?

1 hour ago, Mighty Favog said:

This one. For a Price Pfister.

IMG_20201215_145050.jpg

looks like the O-RING at the end is compressed or worn  , you can replace it with a new one  -are there any rubber discs on the end of this part ? , if there are , you can change the discs using a flat screwdriver

---avoid over tightening the valve when you screw it in   , snug is good enough , put a bit of oil  on the theads before screwing it in  -

-changing brands /great idea-------could be there is defect in this part ---

44 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If the seat is pitted changing them won't help. 

yeah ,  you're very right Carl  , the inside of the pipe where the valve  seats may be lightly rubbed over the years -

I  would  not overtighten the next replacement --snug , and stop - -