'78 HBR Find

ThomasD.

So,  I've driven 400 miles from home to visit my 100 year old mother in an assisted care facility.   I'm limited to 1-20 minute visit a day w/ 6' separation and no contact due to the current situation.  This is a great improvement considering there was no physical visiting at all until very recently.  Anyway,  with extra time on my hands and wanting to find my mom a little jewelry gift before heading home I stumble into a little Antique/gift shop near where I'm staying.  After not finding much that she would find appealing in the jewelry section decided to just browse the rest of the store.  Only took 30 seconds to notice this............

IMG_6309.JPG.56767ed4c8ec8b58036669a8ef4cb15d.JPG

Immediately started looking for it's twin.  Couldn't find it anywhere so asked for assistance.  30 minutes later it was found covered in wrapping paper and used as a Christmas Tree stand.  Price tag on each speaker said $198.  Explained to the well meaning but uninformed sales associate that those prices were well outside of reason and they must have been priced as a set not individually.  After coming to a mutual understanding regarding this pricing error it only seemed prudent to make an offer.  Ended up carrying them out for $150 for the pair.  Will be several days before getting them home and tested.  Hoping they are operational,  new x/o's  will be in order.  Just couldn't help but give these survivors a 2nd chance.  Not my best score but not my worst.

IMG_6313.JPG.8ff5d8667ccdc36b210e190a398c8467.JPGIMG_6310.JPG.e5ddb2dc2a59d779f45b81e1b3708f51.JPG

• Like 7

Was actually thinking of picking up a really clean pair of '89 Oiled Oak H2's offered on Facebook when I get back home.  Offered @ $600 but think seller might take 5 bills.  Then these HBR's showed up.  Wife would not be happy but I'd have a pair of 1's, 2's & 3's. 🤪  Really can't justify having 3 sets of Heresy's but, but............

Guess what I found so unusual was when the sales associate said those speakers had been in the store for over a year and no one had even asked about them.  They were just glad to move them out.  Probably left money on the table but have long since quit worrying about what if.  Felt the selling price was more than fair for all involved especially if in need of some TLC.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 3:27 PM, thebes said:

Good score. Pop some Russian PIO's in the xovers and you are ready to rock.

@thebes  Ok. They’re a far cry from the SQ of my H3’s. Pretty simple X/O design. Think I can handle replacing the few caps on these. Can you give me more specific PIO cap recommendations?  Never ordered them before. Not concerned with cost since there aren’t many, just want good ones to improve the SQ. Thanks. 

SQ wise, quite a bit. Hoping it’s age of x/o components. Less imaging, sound stage and highs are lacking. All drivers making sound just not quite right sounding. Don’t expect them to absolutely equal the 3’s but can tell they’re lacking  from what they should be. 

6 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

SQ wise, quite a bit. Hoping it’s age of x/o components. Less imaging, sound stage and highs are lacking. All drivers making sound just not quite right sounding. Don’t expect them to absolutely equal the 3’s but can tell they’re lacking  from what they should be. 

there is something definitely wrong with these speakers--check the DCR  of all the drivers

Woofers -  8 ohms , mids 16 ohms -  tweeters 8 ohms -    depending on the year of the Heresy , you  could have a K22 Woofer , K55V or K52H or a K53 - Tweeter could be a K77 round magnet ( Alnico  ) or a K77M square magnet ------crossovers could be E -1-2-3

13 hours ago, Peter P. said:

So you picked up a pair of Heresy's for your 100 year old mother?

What is she gonna use 'em for; hearing aids?!😀

Not likely,  She's got better hearing than I do @ 57.  And an astounding memory of the WWII and before.  One aspirin and one blood thinner pill a day is her only medication.  One of the last of a brave and valiant generation who's qualities are sadly lacking in our current one.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThomasD. said:

Not likely,  She's got better hearing than I do @ 57.  And an astounding memory of the WWII and before.  One aspirin and one blood thinner pill a day is her only medication.  One of the last of a brave and valiant generation who's qualities are sadly lacking in our current one.

Cool and nice gift. Merry Christmas to her!

• Thanks 1