KPT-942/4

CJ Wolff

I may be crazy,

But I have an opportunity to get a pair of KPT-942/4’s at a great price.  My listening room is about 24x30.  I know this will probably blow the neighbor’s heads off but I’ve heard that with proper toe-in you can get a sweet spot 9’ out.  Am I out of my mind or should I bathe in the KPT glory?

Thanks,

CJ

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CJ Wolff said:

I may be crazy,

But I have an opportunity to get a pair of KPT-942/4’s at a great price.

You'd be crazy to not get them, if the price is right. In the hierarchy of the Klipsch offerings, those are a few jumps above the LaScala you have been looking for.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, CJ Wolff said:

I may be crazy,

But I have an opportunity to get a pair of KPT-942/4’s at a great price.  My listening room is about 24x30.  I know this will probably blow the neighbor’s heads off but I’ve heard that with proper toe-in you can get a sweet spot 9’ out.  Am I out of my mind or should I bathe in the KPT glory?

Thanks,

CJ

I have the 942 /2’s but have the 415 bass bins on order to be delivered in Jan 2021. Listening room is 16 x 30, sweet spot is 8’ from speakers with only slight toe in. 

I may be crazy,

Thanks,

CJ

Iget a pair of KPT-942/4’s   My listening room is about 24x30. 

get em -- you can  rock your socks off and even shake the fillings out of your teeth in a 24x30 area  , the only problem is that you need serious amplifiers to move these at these high DB levels , but if you have half decent amplification , You''be ok with normal sound levels ,

these are not your classical music or your average jazz speakers , but if you're into loud , rock music and you can avoid pissing off the neighbors with a lot of land , yes

12 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

get em -- you can  rock your socks off and even shake the fillings out of your teeth in a 24x30 area  , the only problem is that you need serious amplifiers to move these at these high DB levels , but if you have half decent amplification , You''be ok with normal sound levels ,

these are not your classical music or your average jazz speakers , but if you're into loud , rock music and you can avoid pissing off the neighbors with a lot of land , yes

I power mine with a B&K 4420 amplifier. I have never turned the volume past 12 0’clock. By that time, it is really engaging to say the least. 

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I power mine with a B&K 4420 amplifier. I have never turned the volume past 12 0’clock. By that time, it is really engaging to say the least. 

those amps are very odd -   225 WPC  - not too big of a transformer but huge filter caps,  Class A Predriver -Film Resistors , Class AB MOSFET output stage , very similar to an older  Bryston 4B in overall performance - 

19 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

those amps are very odd -   225 WPC  - not too big of a transformer but huge filter caps,  Class A Predriver -Film Resistors , Class AB MOSFET output stage , very similar to an older  Bryston 4B in overall performance - 

I’m not familiar with the Bryston, but I’ve been through a lot of solid state amplifiers and this one has stayed around. I really haven’t found any genres of music that don’t sound good on the 942/4‘s. 

13 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m not familiar with the Bryston, but I’ve been through a lot of solid state amplifiers and this one has stayed around. I really haven’t found any genres of music that don’t sound good on the 942/4‘s. 

I agree on all genres sound great. I bi-amp, Cary 805’s on HF and 4 pass labs aleph 2’s on LF “100 watt amps” which is plenty of power for these highly efficient bass bins. Imho 

3 minutes ago, Jim Gregory said:

I agree on all genres sound great. I bi-amp, Cary 805’s on HF and 4 pass labs aleph 2’s on LF “100 watt amps” which is plenty of power for these highly efficient bass bins. Imho 

I’ve wondered what the would sound like if I went the active route. Mine have a passive crossover network so I know I’m probably missing some of the magic these speakers can offer. I really love the way they sound now and  It’s kinda nice having only one amp to worry. about. 

11 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

you could feed  a lot more power into the speakers , easy ,  these are really not your average home speaker -

10 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’ve wondered what the would sound like if I went the active route. Mine have a passive crossover network so I know I’m probably missing some of the magic these speakers can offer. I really love the way they sound now and  It’s kinda nice having only one amp to worry. about. 

I have only ran my system with Marchand electronic crossovers and “for me” the tube’s on the HF and solid state class A’s on the LF has been the best sound due to equipment, however I think the biggest satisfaction has come from speaker placement and slight adjustments over the years to better match my room. 😉