KPT-942/4

CJ Wolff

1 minute ago, Jim Gregory said:

I have only ran my system with Marchand electronic crossovers and “for me” the tube’s on the HF and solid state class A’s on the LF has been the best sound due to equipment, however I think the biggest satisfaction has come from speaker placement and slight adjustments over the years to better match my room. 😉

I’m still experimenting with speaker placement. I’ve only had them a few months so I’m still learning. It’s pretty amazing how full they sound at low volume levels. 

14 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m still experimenting with speaker placement. I’ve only had them a few months so I’m still learning. It’s pretty amazing how full they sound at low volume levels. 

Biggest speaker placement difference was moving the speakers 8 ft away from the back wall and listening chair 8 ft in front of speakers. This created the elusive 3D soundstage. I adjust volume according to how condensed recorded music is, but usually around mid 80’s using SPL meter. 

25 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the ME electronic crossovers  are very good product-----

Due to my choice of source equipment;  Auralic Aries G2, Vega G2 & Leo GX, wireless streaming with dedicated Lightning Digital Streaming application, I am very limited to crossover components and EQing because I have to accomplish crossover after my DAC.  As far as crossover the Marchand has been the best route so far due to the ability to make adjustments in analog. The LDS app has 16 PEQ  ability. Tried Dbx DriveRack Venu360 and the system versatility was amazing but in the end, for sound quality, the Marchand was more open & dynamic, “in my opinion and with my system”. 

32 minutes ago, Jim Gregory said:

Biggest speaker placement difference was moving the speakers 8 ft away from the back wall and listening chair 8 ft in front of speakers. This created the elusive 3D soundstage. I adjust volume according to how condensed recorded music is, but usually around mid 80’s using SPL meter. 

I don’t have the room right now to move them much. Just small tweaks. My listening room is also my shop. I have a larger building coming in the spring. I plan on moving them there when it’s finished. Then I will try pulling them out off the back wall. Thanks for the advice. 

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I don’t have the room right now to move them much. Just small tweaks. My listening room is also my shop. I have a larger building coming in the spring. I plan on moving them there when it’s finished. Then I will try pulling them out off the back wall. Thanks for the advice. 

Welcome Sir. I totally understand the combination workspace environment. When you are able to pull the speakers off the wall be prepared to be “blown away”. Just trying to prep you for an astonishingly moment. You have never heard what those speakers will do till you pull them 1/3 into the room. Cheers !

2 minutes ago, Jim Gregory said:

Welcome Sir. I totally understand the combination workspace environment. When you are able to pull the speakers off the wall be prepared to be “blown away”. Just trying to prep you for an astonishingly moment. You have never heard what those speakers will do till you pull them 1/3 into the room. Cheers !

Thanks man! Now I have something to look forward to. 

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’m not quite sure mine is a different driver and bolts directly to the horn flange. Might check and make sure the driver is installed correctly to the horn and all hardware is tight. 

02D1C0CD-5724-48C2-94BD-C28A0B653F5A.jpeg

Yeah based on @Chris A photos my driver looks like an 1132 with a snout.  I’m hopeful a DE750 will bolt right up to it.  

1 hour ago, CJ Wolff said:

Ok I got the speakers and they sound fantastic but  at higher levels the horn diaphragm rattles.  The driver doesn’t have a label on it so I can’t identify it.  I think I need new drivers though.  

The phase plug could be coming loose (unglued).  I would disassemble and check for debris in the voice coil gap and check for the loose phase plug. If phase plug has come loose you can clean off the old epoxy and reinstall with new epoxy.

miketn

Some pictures and info in this thread.

• Like 1

"Thanks for the help.  The problem is now resolved after tightening the horn nuts 🥳"

As it turns out Chris did not tighten the mounting bolts all the way down. When he double checked and found the loose fasteners the problem went away according to an email I got yesterday. We had to disassemble these to get it all in his truck and reassembly had a minor glitch. I have to tell you  they filled that short bed and the crew cab.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

"Thanks for the help.  The problem is now resolved after tightening the horn nuts 🥳"

As it turns out Chris did not tighten the mounting bolts all the way down. When he double checked and found the loose fasteners the problem went away according to an email I got yesterday. We had to disassemble these to get it all in his truck and reassembly had a minor glitch. I have to tell you  they filled that short bed and the crew cab.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking in.  Yes indeed that helped a lot but I’m still getting a strange vibration.   I know it will be something simple.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:24 AM, Islander said:

Go for it.  As for the neighbours, you will now have the ability to piss them off anytime you please...wife like to vacuum while you're listening?  Wife like to talk to you right in the middle of a critical passage you're focusing on hearing?  Yeah, you can piss her off too!!! You do have a volume control.  Klipsch speakers sound good/great at nearly any volume setting.

Fixed it for ya

Otherwise, I have nothing to day.

:emotion-14: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1