5 Star albums, opinions

Klipschguy

I ran through my LP's, and this is what I came up with (rather quickly, and not all inclusive):  

America: Their first album.  

Aja:  Steely Dan

I Robot:  Alan Parsons Project 

Feliciano:  Jose Feliciano  

Hejira:  Joni Mitchell  

These selections are more acoustic and melodic, as compared to slammin' Rock and Roll and headbanger music.  

But they play well through my system:  updated Belles and RSW 115, MC 275 VI, C27, and Thorens 160HD, all defintiely old school.  

YTMV.  5 choices for 5 stars each.  The Belles make well recorded music jump out at you.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hammershaug said:

Surprised to see, but fully agreed.
I had a listen to the s/t debut album recently, and wow! It’s lo-fi but still very very high fidelity IMHO.

I miss Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I discovered Jason late, but man does his music move me. What a talent to lose too soon.

• Like 1

Again, this forum introduces me to a previously unknown musical talent.  I look forward to exploring Jason Molina’s music.  The use of the term “lo-fi” above sent me scurrying to Wikipedia for edification.  I especially liked the description of lo-fi quoted below:

"sounds like it's recorded onto a broken answering-machine".

The fact that Jason was a victim of alcoholism is a poignant reminder of the toll alcoholism has inflicted in my life.  My older sister and a good friend both lost battles with the bottles.  The damage done to their families is incalculable.  Fortunately, their respective sons are doing well.  Sobriety is underrated.

• Like 2

Isn't this similar to handing us bags of Lay's potato chips and saying to only eat one? 

Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments
Elton John - Yellow Brick Road

Metallica - And Justice For All

Jimmy Buffett - Living and Dying in 3/4 Time (I can do w/o #11)

Eagles - Desperado

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Again, this forum introduces me to a previously unknown musical talent.  I look forward to exploring Jason Molina’s music.  The use of the term “lo-fi” above sent me scurrying to Wikipedia for edification.  I especially liked the description of lo-fi quoted below:

"sounds like it's recorded onto a broken answering-machine".

The fact that Jason was a victim of alcoholism is a poignant reminder of the toll alcoholism has inflicted in my life.  My older sister and a good friend both lost battles with the bottles.  The damage done to their families is incalculable.  Fortunately, their respective sons are doing well.  Sobriety is underrated.

I have listened to many of Jason's solo material and his work with Magnolia Electric Co. and I would say most of it is very well recorded. In a case where the musical talent is so good, this is just a bonus.

Shakey

Some of the great tracks laying around me, so many up on my shelves, and more in  the new arrivals piles for the winter listening.

Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live

George Winston, December (like you are sitting on the bench listening)

Christopher Parkering, EMI Classic Remaster of 4 early LPs "The artistry of ..."

Steve Nicks, Trouble in Shangri-la, Crow helped write, produce, play and master. Crow has a great ear. One or two tracks over-processed but still good. Nick's comeback LP after her doctor Micheal Jacksoned her causing a 10 year creativity shut down.

Dido, No Angel

Agnes Obel, Citizen of Glass

Hooverphonic, Live with Orchestra DVD, great stage performance

Francois Hardy, Message Personal, early Hardy she is still putting good music since 1960s, 190K attended one of her concerts in the late 60s in Paris

Wynton Marsailis, Standard Time, Vol 3

Cynde Bradley, Unscripted

Chris Botti and Chris Issac have many LPs, both have great ears

Helen Merrill, Four Classic Albums, AVIDJazz remaster. 1950s recording limits, she deserves to be heard

Buddah Bar, Buddah's Dinner, by Claude Challe, Mix of various artists (World Music?), lots of different music

Andreas Vallenweider, White Winds, dynamic on vinyl haven't tried CD versions

Shadowfax, Shadowdance, dynamic on vinyl

Poe, Haunted, had six tracks charting when her studio torpedoed her by selling her off to a troll. Poe was a first in several areas and pulled it off inc using internet direct to her fans, first song about Hackers "Hello" MOD

Great Expectations, Soundtrack ,  1998

Conjure One, LP same name, Electronica, various Angels sing their hearts out on every track, horn loaded babes on the Mid-range horn.

Carpenters, the Singles, on vinyl, Karen is liquid

Tony Bennett, Greatest Hits 1965, vinyl

https://www.discogs.com/Tony-Bennett-Tonys-Greatest-Hits-Volume-III/release/3325025#:~:text=Tracklist Hide Credits A1 , 2%3A14 7 more rows

Orleans, Waking and Dreaming, dynamic on vinyl

Henry Mancini, Peter Gunn, LP of the Year late 50s early 60 recording tech

Police Certifiable, Bluray or DVD

Allison Krause and Union Station, Live DVD in KY

Sheryl Crow, C'mon America DVD, Rockin the Globe DVD (Crow's energy level is off the charts on this one)

Eagles, live from Melbourne DVD

Sting live from Berlin, BluRay

Delerium, Karma, electronica, various Angels sing their hearts out, test your subs and bass for power and accuracy

Nirvana, MTV Unplugged

Ricky Lee Jones:  Ricky Lee Jones 

Many top musicians collaborated with Rickie Lee on this record.

Billie Eilish:  When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Female vocals, from normal to whispered, and LOTS of bass.  Intriguing sounds and phrasing.

Too many to list.  Pick two?  Hard but:

Supertramp Crime of the Century

Pink Floyd - Animals

Too many more to list. 

Easy, obvious and overlooked because they were such huge hits:

Eagles Greatest Hits and Hotel California. 

AC/DC Back in Black 

Dark Side of the Moon

These are all 'perfect albums' but will be skipped because they have been played to death. 

How about two artist were 90% or more of their albums have all great songs?

Pink Floyd

Steely Dan

• Like 3