Cornscala or CW4?

craigtone

OK ... first the background.  I had RF-7's running off an ST-70.  When I moved, the new room is small ... 12'x14' and I am listening across the shorter dimension so the RF-7's were no longer an option!  I picked up a set of Cornwalls with Crites crossovers and Crites titanium diaphragms and LOVED them!  Ended up upgrading to a Tubelab SE amp running Cunnigham CX-345's.  I came across a good deal on Khorns and wanted to try them so I bought them and upgraded them with Crites cast woofers, ALK crossovers, Elliptrac tweeter with B&C DE10 and damped the K400 with bedliner on the back side.  They sound incredible but don't have the bass the CW's did and the K400 still has it's quirks and imaging is so-so.

A buddy recently purchased the Forte 4's.  I went over and immediately fell in love with the new midrange!  So, here I am looking to either revert back to a set of Cornwall 4's but then I though why not Crites Cornscalas?  I already have the cast woofers, ALK crossover and Elliptrac w/DE10.  I could pick up the Crites CS-B midrange and build the cabinets (braced of course!).  The only thing I am really missing is the CW4's mumped horn at that point but I imagine the M2380's with a 2"CD will get me pretty darn close at about 1/2 the cost!

For those of you that have the Cornscalas, are they good for a smaller room with low power (2W)?  I know the Cornwalls performed excellent in this scenario.  Would you use the Crites CT120 or Elliptrac w/DE10?

Or ... should I save up for the Cornwall 4's?  I'd probably still end up replacing the crossover in the CW4 anyway ... who uses ferrite core inductors for mids and highs??? 😡

A buddy recently purchased the Forte 4's.  I went over and immediately fell in love with the new midrange!

Surely you mean Forte III?

I had the Cornscala "C" version with ALK universal xovers. They were good speakers but there was a boxy resonance that showed up on some midbass heavy recordings that I could never tame. I didn't add additional bracing but I did add dynamat to the rear wall, that did nothing.

It's been over seven years and many, many speakers since I sold the Cornscalas, so take that into consideration. What I hear from the CW IV is a much different animal than what I remember with the cornscalas. Every aspect of music reproduction seems to be better. There certainly is no boxy resonance at all, but you might rid yourself of that with extra bracing. And the CW IV retains it's heritage sound while still having more resolution and detail than what came before.

I have no doubt that some of the top shelf Cornscala builds I have seen here, like Justin Weber and others, will be as good or better than a Cornwall IV. But what I had wasn't one of those. YMMV........

Shakey

• Like 1

Thanks Shakey!  It might have been Forte 3 ... whichever has the new larger horn.

I did see teardown photos of the CW4 and they have 2 braces front to back at about 10 & 2 around the woofer.  I was thinking of doing the same if I build Cornscalas.

Are you CW4's still stock?  Curious if you have dug into the crossovers yet?  My friend with the Forte's did and he said the resolution is even better than stock!  There is something magic about that new midrange horn!  😁

If you have the parts already and the woodworking skills and equipment

Why not do a CS Build, and see how you like it ?

Worst case you are out a few sheets of MDF or birch plywood.

There are plenty of other builders you can read before starting.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, craigtone said:

I just ordered the Eliptrac 400 flat packs so planning to build the CS-B style with the Eliptrac HF, Eliptrac 400, Crites cast woofer and ALK CSW.

congratulations , did you order the Eliptrac tweeter lense ,  as well ,  it a perfect match for the Eliptrac 400

I already have the Eliptrac HF horn and B&C DE10's on my Khorns that I will use.  Dave recommends the DCM50's on the 400 so will probably go that route since I am not a fan of titanium drivers.  I am adding front to back bracing and a split-back with a brace so I should be able to push the front forward to offset the volume loss of the bracing to fit the larger drivers.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, craigtone said:

OK ... first the background.  I had RF-7's running off an ST-70.  When I moved, the new room is small ... 12'x14' and I am listening across the shorter dimension so the RF-7's were no longer an option!  I picked up a set of Cornwalls with Crites crossovers and Crites titanium diaphragms and LOVED them!  Ended up upgrading to a Tubelab SE amp running Cunnigham CX-345's.  I came across a good deal on Khorns and wanted to try them so I bought them and upgraded them with Crites cast woofers, ALK crossovers, Elliptrac tweeter with B&C DE10 and damped the K400 with bedliner on the back side.  They sound incredible but don't have the bass the CW's did and the K400 still has it's quirks and imaging is so-so.

A buddy recently purchased the Forte 4's.  I went over and immediately fell in love with the new midrange!  So, here I am looking to either revert back to a set of Cornwall 4's but then I though why not Crites Cornscalas?  I already have the cast woofers, ALK crossover and Elliptrac w/DE10.  I could pick up the Crites CS-B midrange and build the cabinets (braced of course!).  The only thing I am really missing is the CW4's mumped horn at that point but I imagine the M2380's with a 2"CD will get me pretty darn close at about 1/2 the cost!

For those of you that have the Cornscalas, are they good for a smaller room with low power (2W)?  I know the Cornwalls performed excellent in this scenario.  Would you use the Crites CT120 or Elliptrac w/DE10?

Or ... should I save up for the Cornwall 4's?  I'd probably still end up replacing the crossover in the CW4 anyway ... who uses ferrite core inductors for mids and highs??? 😡

Im running a pair of cornscalas with my tubelab se but with 300b tubes. How do you like the 45s?

1 hour ago, brl0301 said:

Im running a pair of cornscalas with my tubelab se but with 300b tubes. How do you like the 45s?

45 is probably the most neutral linear tube there is.  I prefer them over 2A3 and 300B personally.  They used to be affordable but now prices are getting up there.  I am running globe RCA UX-245’s which sound much better than ST bottles.

10 hours ago, brl0301 said:

I was hoping to swap out a few parts in my TSE to run 45 tubes but the prices are getting up there and new production 45 tubes are not cheap. 

I don't know of any new production 45's that are really that good.  Get yourself some National Union etched base or spend that money on some CX-345 or UX-245.  Nothing can touch the sound of the old globes.

Hi,  I have some Cornscala B's I ordered built complete from Bob Crites.  I haven't had a chance to listen to anything else lately but these sound really good to me.  I have seen a wood horn that ALK sells that looks pretty nice.  The Horn i have has a vertical opening which I was told is not as good????  Also does adding braces affect the specs of the speaker? 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, DALEDEEE said:

Hi,  I have some Cornscala B's I ordered built complete from Bob Crites.  I haven't had a chance to listen to anything else lately but these sound really good to me.  I have seen a wood horn that ALK sells that looks pretty nice.  The Horn i have has a vertical opening which I was told is not as good????  Also does adding braces affect the specs of the speaker? 

The bracing would help remove some of the midbass "boominess" coming from box resonances.  The Cornwall IV added the bracing based on feedback from users over the years specifically to address this.  Ideally, if you added the braces you would need to expand the interior volume by the volume the braces displace.  This is a minimal volume so probably not an issue and would most likely fall within driver tolerances anyway.

As far as the horn, I have not heard the stock CS-B horn so I cannot comment.  I plan to do a custom build so I went straight for the Eliptrac 400.

• Thanks 1