Do Cornwall 4s need a subwoofer

Fido

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My coffee table sub with a LAB 12 driver makes uses 11 pieces of ripped lumber at 30x60 inches 14 1/2 inches tall. You can eat on the sub Japanese style. Ruler flat from 20-60 Hz., useable down to 15 Hz.

There is no way in hell my wife would let me replace our pottery barn ottoman for a table sub - this made me laugh

• Haha 3

2 hours ago,  ClaudeJ1 said: 

My coffee table sub with a LAB 12 driver makes uses 11 pieces of ripped lumber at 30x60 inches 14 1/2 inches tall. You can eat on the sub Japanese style. Ruler flat from 20-60 Hz., useable down to 15 Hz.

@Fido said, 

“There is no way in hell my wife would let me replace our pottery barn ottoman for a table sub - this made me laugh.”

As those who attended the Southeast Michigan Klipsch gathering in the summer before Covid can attest, the testosterone level in Claude’s place is off the chart.  There is no estrogen to reign him in.  What works (very well I must add) for him will not work for those of us with female partners.

@Dave1290 @Skelt @picky @Picky's_Son_1974 @mopar dave @kevinmi @ClaudeJ1

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, DizRotus said:
   2 hours ago,  ClaudeJ1 said: 

My coffee table sub with a LAB 12 driver makes uses 11 pieces of ripped lumber at 30x60 inches 14 1/2 inches tall. You can eat on the sub Japanese style. Ruler flat from 20-60 Hz., useable down to 15 Hz.

@Fido said, 

There is no way in hell my wife would let me replace our pottery barn ottoman for a table sub - this made me laugH

As those who attended the Southeast Michigan Klipsch gathering in the summer before Covid can attest, the testosterone level in Claude’s place is off the chart.  There is no estrogen to reign him in.  What works (very well I must add) for him will not work for those of us with female partners.

@Dave1290 @Skelt @picky @Picky's_Son_1974 @mopar dave @kevinmi @ClaudeJ1

I love my beautiful wife and I love great sounding audio. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.  I think my system as configured sounds fabulous and if the room was actually larger then bigger speakers like the Cornwall 4s could possibly sound even better then my current setup. I'm not sure that bigger always is better depending on the room size. Didn't Paul Klipsch love his Fortes?

Read something interesting on the Forum today - back in 1951 people listened to music in MONO!!! Stereo was not the big thing in the early 50s - my my - now we have people adding subwoofers to their systems that are as big as a semi truck! and... people act as if Fortes are like micro mini desktop monitors.

8 hours ago, DALEDEEE said:

I have Cornscalas with two 10" subs.  This with bass traps makes some very, very good bass.  Even without more subs, some sound treatments will do a lot for the bass.  in your case it looks like you have a pretty open area which limits sound treatments and takes more subs for the true bottom octave.  My subs go to the 20s which is plenty.

Can you post some pictures of your listening room? I’m about to start setting up a dedicated 2ch stereo room and I want to learn more about proper sound treatment. Room is an echo chamber right now with low ceilings, drywall and hardwood floors. 
Well...disregard the pictures, I just found some pics of your room in a different post. Unless you have more to share..

Thanks,

Mark

Well those fortunate enough not to have to have their gear in the living room can still cohabitate with a spouse and go as crazy as we want to.

I give my wife a lot of credit for hardly ever batting an eye when something new (and usually large and expensive) comes through the door. She’s a real trooper.

Shakey

• Like 3

@madman1.  The tell is I can walk around my 13X21 room and the sound is uniform except a little louder bass in the back near the diffusion panels.  I could use some more bass treatment but not much.  Once you get the bass right, it is so satifying and a discovery as to how much information there is at the bottom of the musical spectrum.  I got lucky and was able to place my subs right in between the main speakers.  Sometimes, people have to put them around the room. I also am going to experiment with changing my crossover frequency to 80 Hz.  It cost me 29 dollars for a plug in to do this.  I think this minimizes the vibration and improves the sound of the Cornscalas.  The Cornscalas and the subs will scare you if you are not familiar with the music.  The dynamics and bass slam is impressive. 

Due to the similarities between CS and CW I think there will definitely be benefit from a couple subwoofers. 

Edited by DALEDEEE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fido said:

There is no way in hell my wife would let me replace our pottery barn ottoman for a table sub - this made me laugh

All I can say is, if you build that sub, you will now FEEL your music as well as hear it. Based on your Super Heresy finishing skills, I'm sure you would do a great job aesthetically as well. Otherwise, I'm glad to have made you laugh by providing free entertainment at the thought of your wife's disapproval! LOL.

11 hours ago, Fido said:

I love my beautiful wife and I love great sounding audio. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.  I think my system as configured sounds fabulous and if the room was actually larger then bigger speakers like the Cornwall 4s could possibly sound even better then my current setup. I'm not sure that bigger always is better depending on the room size. Didn't Paul Klipsch love his Fortes?

Never saw them, but read PWK had Fortes in his office (basically Heresy's with better bass). Since I was not constrained by product overlap or production costs, I created the first 2 original Super Heresys (sold to JimJimbo for a steal price when I was temporarily unemployed) in order to improve the Woofer's Midrange Transient Response to match the speed of the K700/K55 midrange, which is what high BL woofers can do better. Knowing I would make the bass worse in that box by favoring the midrange, I knew I would have to port it to get back some of that bass. The bass response I got was so much better than I ever thought, so I shared my success here without financial remuneration of any kind.

So in keeping with your aesthetic constraints, You could build 2 mirror imaged coffee table subs, with the opening on a different cabinet surface near the floor and stand them up behind your Fortes. This way, you would not violate the your wife's constrained width requirements while pushing the "wall of sound" forward a mere 14.5 inches.. Just saying....................

Besides, the Heresy, being smaller, is a more phase coherent speaker than a Cornwall, which no one ever talks about.

11 hours ago, Fido said:

Read something interesting on the Forum today - back in 1951 people listened to music in MONO!!! Stereo was not the big thing in the early 50s - my my - now we have people adding subwoofers to their systems that are as big as a semi truck! and... people act as if Fortes are like micro mini desktop monitors.

Just goes to show Klipsch has something for everyone..!!

Welcome to the Klipsch Madness... !!!! 😁

Not as big as a Semi Truck but getting closer... 🙂

459196C3-E6A1-4753-AB8B-A93956E2A473.thumb.jpeg.f43efb47ca225ed0a590377d76639dda.jpeg

10 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Claude is DEFINITLY NOT right!  Then neither am I...  Great time and I'm glad I didn't hit the basement.   Again thanks to you Neil for the invite!  :)

Next time you come back, you will experience a new, improved basement, now that I have a Servo Drive Sub between my mains. The basement was a "soundless driver warehouse" of parts and dormant speakers when you were here last time.

Now I have kickass sound with all horns down there, I can generate sound almost as impressive as upstairs, which will be even better after I build 2 more subs (all the lumber is cut) from my new home made "kits." Basements are not just for laundry anymore!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Next time you come back, you will experience a new, improved basement, now that I have a Servo Drive Sub between my mains. The basement was a "soundless driver warehouse" of parts and dormant speakers when you were here last time.

Now I have kickass sound with all horns down there, I can generate sound almost as impressive as upstairs, which will be even better after I build 2 more subs (all the lumber is cut) from my new home made "kits." Basements are not just for laundry anymore!!

Yup, I do recall hearing about your long list of hot lil numbers wanting to watch movies w/you at your place...  Meh, all I've got is a stripper pole.  hahaha    So now thinking about some of that low rumbling bottom coursing up the stripper pole.  Gotta think outta the box brother!  Always improving, always improving...  😂 😇

19 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Yup, I do recall hearing about your long list of hot lil numbers wanting to watch movies w/you at your place...  Meh, all I've got is a stripper pole.  hahaha    So now thinking about some of that low rumbling bottom coursing up the stripper pole.  Gotta think outta the box brother!  Always improving, always improving...  😂 😇

Those hot little numbers I'm after, I chase with my cameras, not with speaker systems. That only happens after, but I have to use the cameras first to catch 'em. That being said, there are still calendar realities that limit my options in a narrowing manner.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

I've heard Cornwalls in the past (not the latest iteration), and unlike many here I would say no to a sub with these. There is both a lot of room bass gain as well as very little below 40 in most music.

That was true in the days of the LP and 45 vinyl, but CD's have had a 4 Hz. bottom end with nor mechanical rumbles that were caused by warped discs and tone arms. We have had CD's and even better digital source materials for almost 40 years now. Time to catch up.

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Those hot little numbers I'm after, I chase with my cameras, not with speaker systems. That only happens after, but I have to use the cameras first to catch 'em. That being said, there are still calendar realities that limit my options in a narrowing manner.

Wait! What????  NOW I know what I can do w/those old F-5's and some glass...  Surround the pole w/Nikons!  Then we can sit back and eat guacamole dip outta a floor standing 400 F2.8 lens with the shade attached to hold the guacamole.  Careful of the front lens and no double dipping!  😂  Oh my it's getting better!  A couple Metz CT-4's laying here too...  There''s the strobes!!!

22 hours ago, Fido said:

I think there could be a business in building stylish furniture with the purpose of hiding speakers, subwoofers, and electronics to please a wife...hmmm...

Think I'll register a new business name - WAF Gallery!

Got a Klipsch Jubilee? We'll hide it!

Got a big honkin' ugly subwoofer? We'll hide it!

Got humungous tube amps, DACs, power conditioners? We'll hide em!

The wife'll never know they're even there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1