RP 8000f - receiver requirements

Borlanges

Hello, I just started building home theatre system. I hooked up RP 8000f pair to Yamaha RX-V379BL Output Power 70W   (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.09%, 2-ch driven, 8 ohms) . Center channel,subwoofer and rear  surround Iam using energy 5.1 classic, Till I buy RP 504 C. I really don’t need too loud. Is RX V379BL ok to use or I need better receiver to drive 8000f

@Borlanges,

Welcome to the forum.

Without being too critical, you have some really nice floorstanders with the RP-8000F's and they deserve better power.  Spring-clip connectors on A/V equipment usually denotes cheaper inferior gear.  Until you get your system all planned out I am sure your AVR will do okay but if you expand bigger/better, get better quality power.

Shop at A4Less and get yourself at minimum an upper midlevel AVR.  I set the filter at $647 to $948.  You can expand that filter if you want.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?store_price[]=647-958

IMO, make sure it has at minimum stereo preouts if want to add an outboard amp later on.

Bill

• Like 2

I second willand's comments.  At a4Less, the Yamaha RX-A880 is on sale for $699.99 (reg. price $999.99), and would take your system to the next level.  The V Series Yamaha receivers are good, but the A (Aventage) Series is higher-end gear.  There's nothing wrong with what you have, but the RX-V379 won't show you the full potential of your speakers.  In general, the better the signal you can feed speakers, the better they sound.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smallsmx3 said:

I'm thinking of adding an external amp just for the front stage. How much power should these guys get?

IMO, a true 120w/ch should be plenty.

Hard to beat this for the price.

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index.php?id_product=50&rewrite=model-5000x-5-channel-amplifier&controller=product

Bill

• Like 1