Can't Remove Midrange Driver from Horn

RobC63

Tried unscrewing the K-55 driver from the midrange horn in my Cornwalls and it won't budge. Is there a set screw or something preventing it from moving?

Also, standard counter clockwise motion to unscrew these, correct?

I know the threads are relatively small so I figured I better ask before I damage the threads or worse...

Yup: As fathers have passed down to their sons for centuries, Righty tighty lefty loosy.

Liquid Wrench gets good reviews.  I would put the assembly with the big end on a table and squirt some in there.  Wait overnight.

Are these the aluminum horns?  Perhaps the aluminum corroded a bit.

• Like 1

I agree with @WMcD  ,   liquid wrench or any type of penetrating oil will loosen up any corrosion between the horn and the K55 Throat , and the pre- lubrification of the threads will avoid stripping the threads --

DO NOT HIT  the Mids horn with any kind of hammer  as that can loosen the pressed in Alnico magnet -  yeah , we know @fmalloy  was kidding , of course ---

I've only used this technique with fasteners, so probably not applicable, but I've been pretty successful with it; if you're trying to loosen something that's tight, try tightening it a bit first, then loosening. Seems counter-intuitive, but it's easier to break free.

I like the one/two punch of penetrating oil & filter wrench.

• Like 1

I would not use any sort of penetrant. I'd be too afraid of any getting down into the diaphragm area.

And if it's a plastic horn, it has a metal insert that is pressed in place which contains the female threads. Penetrant oil will get in between the insert and the plastic and penetrant can soften plastic.

Go to harbor freight and buy a set of strap wrenches. 

755830300_Screenshot2020-12-18183541.jpg.b831df4eb1a52fcaf9336ddba3003534.jpg

And if I was to whack it, it would be light tapping on the horn throat only with a wooden handle or dowel, keeping the magnet assembly steady and stable on a table top on top of a cushion. 

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Tried the oil filter wrench; unfortunately the diameter of the mid driver was just a little too big.

In the end I just sat down, put the metal horn section between my legs, and gave a good twist on the drivers... that did the trick.

I guess I was just being too gentle out of fear of crossthreading the drivers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RobC63 said:

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Tried the oil filter wrench; unfortunately the diameter of the mid driver was just a little too big.

In the end I just sat down, put the metal horn section between my legs, and gave a good twist on the drivers... that did the trick.

I guess I was just being too gentle out of fear of cross threading the drivers.

good to hear but your description made me laugh thinking about you with a horn between your legs and wondering if now you could pee with constant directivity.