Refinishing and upgrading Heresy 1's

yamahaSHO

3 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Those look really nice. What do you think of the A55-G compared to a K55-V?

Im not sure I could tell you the difference.  I've had A-55-G's in my La Scalas for almost 2 years and I put these A-55-G's in quite some time ago.  They all sound good... I couldn't tell the difference between the two speakers when one had a K-55-M and the other had a K-55-V (soldered)... 

2 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Im not sure I could tell you the difference.  I've had A-55-G's in my La Scalas for almost 2 years and I put these A-55-G's in quite some time ago.  They all sound good... I couldn't tell the difference between the two speakers when one had a K-55-M and the other had a K-55-V (soldered)... 

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the A55-G so I’m going to try Them in a set of La Scala’s. I like the K55’s just want to try something different. 

3 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the A55-G so I’m going to try Them in a set of La Scala’s. I like the K55’s just want to try something different. 

You'll like them.  They sound great and you'll have a brand new set of drivers, which is part of what I was adding them for.  I basically have brand new speakers at this point.  They made it 38 years before I started redoing them, and that's without any finish on them.  I expect them to outlast me at this point.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:41 PM, wuzzzer said:

Looks like a perfect place for some Sonicaps!  😉

I almost swapped to the JEM's, but I'm not finding anything lacking.  If I get the urge to try something, maybe I'll do that... But I'm already outside of the "intent' of the speaker and 'no ragrets' as I've been listening to them for probably 6 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

Thanks! What size are the quick disconnect tabs on the woofers, drivers, etc? Did you use crimp on all those connectors, or did you solder?

o

I got some empty H1 cabs that I am outfitting with the same Crites gear. Just trying to make sure I get all the correct size/type connectors. 

Your speaker rebuild looks (and certainly sounds) great! 

3 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

Thanks! What size are the quick disconnect tabs on the woofers, drivers, etc? Did you use crimp on all those connectors, or did you solder?

o

I got some empty H1 cabs that I am outfitting with the same Crites gear. Just trying to make sure I get all the correct size/type connectors. 

Your speaker rebuild looks (and certainly sounds) great! 

I bought these awhile back, which has 3 different sizes (I believe the larger size was used on all drivers).  If you were local, I'd just give you one of these containers (comes with 2) as I have plenty.  They require a terminal crimper, which is different than a standard crimper.  I did not solder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KTJ3BK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.  I've been as excited with these as I am my La Scalas.  :)

3 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I bought these awhile back, which has 3 different sizes (I believe the larger size was used on all drivers).  If you were local, I'd just give you one of these containers (comes with 2) as I have plenty.  They require a terminal crimper, which is different than a standard crimper.  I did not solder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KTJ3BK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.  I've been as excited with these as I am my La Scalas.  :)

Perfect! Are these the correct type of crimp tool? 

If mine come out 3/4 as good as your speakers did I will be super happy! Thanks again!!

Here are some photos of our first try at a Heresy refinish/upgrade... using yamahaSHO's project as our inspiration. I will update as we make progress on our 'rainy day' project.  These are the original cabinets as we received them, followed by some light sanding, a coat of stain, and another coat of stain. Unfortunately there are not many pictures from the sanding stage, my bad.  

1.thumb.jpg.152226c9cbb518e372e3cde60c71f8ae.jpg2.thumb.jpg.05f39780ead4e8cb9d04a96fd853515d.jpg3.thumb.jpg.836603dab5f0f5d93f4645bebe8c18e5.jpg

coat1_1.thumb.jpg.509b6ad94a0c62bd95e8a51d7211a84d.jpgcoat1_2.thumb.jpg.2bc5ac77c0bf31a78720ca4e29ff3227.jpgcoat1_3.thumb.jpg.58d76914974757ab891fcbfb817b4392.jpgcoat1_4.thumb.jpg.4c24899970be60cd2d299d3739654682.jpgcoat1_5.thumb.jpg.44d019f92278ff1b05639cca99de4c5e.jpgcoat2_1.thumb.jpg.fc5f0b8e74e4ebc7d4babafa854f625d.jpgcoat2_3.thumb.jpg.91cc55b596b7f426cb456baad8329871.jpg

Edited by TexDrone
Photo arrangement