Refinishing and upgrading Heresy 1's

yamahaSHO

On 1/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I went ahead an added some mass loading to the mid-horn.  I never really had a problem with the sounds or any perceived 'ringing', but didn't think it would negatively affect sound, so I gave it a try without going overboard.  

What did you use for 'mass loading' ?

1 hour ago, TexDrone said:

Here are some photos of our first try at a Heresy refinish/upgrade... using yamahaSHO's project as our inspiration. I will update as we make progress on our 'rainy day' project.  These are the original cabinets as we received them, followed by some light sanding, a coat of stain, and another coat of stain. Unfortunately there are not many pictures from the sanding stage, my bad.  

1.thumb.jpg.152226c9cbb518e372e3cde60c71f8ae.jpg2.thumb.jpg.05f39780ead4e8cb9d04a96fd853515d.jpg3.thumb.jpg.836603dab5f0f5d93f4645bebe8c18e5.jpg

coat1_1.thumb.jpg.509b6ad94a0c62bd95e8a51d7211a84d.jpgcoat1_2.thumb.jpg.2bc5ac77c0bf31a78720ca4e29ff3227.jpgcoat1_3.thumb.jpg.58d76914974757ab891fcbfb817b4392.jpgcoat1_4.thumb.jpg.4c24899970be60cd2d299d3739654682.jpgcoat1_5.thumb.jpg.44d019f92278ff1b05639cca99de4c5e.jpgcoat2_1.thumb.jpg.fc5f0b8e74e4ebc7d4babafa854f625d.jpgcoat2_3.thumb.jpg.91cc55b596b7f426cb456baad8329871.jpg

Those are looking nice!

1 hour ago, TexDrone said:

What did you use for 'mass loading' ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B794KNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that, but I have WAY more than I need.  If you pay for shipping, I'll send you one of my boxes (the one I've already opened, which will still be WAY more than you need) and save the other box for when I do my La Scalas.

• Thanks 1

I received my grille boards in and it seems the variation between my H1's and the guy who made these is enough to be off on the mid and tweeter.  We took measurements and he's making me another set.  1334599400_Board1.thumb.jpg.e79fd9be1a3a9d7b8aa407f2f7753d63.jpg

I also ran a sweep on each speaker.  They are setting in front of my La Scalas and the mic is about a meter away.  I'll probably go ahead with a subwoofer.  

256615894_HeresySweep.thumb.jpg.54a9b6364a6c2a33cc428071363cc741.jpg

Seating position with both L/R playing:

743419514_Heresy1SeatingPos.thumb.jpg.4ab9b5f93f30e30cd2eb6421a1f27edc.jpg

• Like 2

@yamahaSHO

I decided today to follow your path for refinishing my Heresy I :) ... I started by rounding the edges, just like you did on yours (below) :

49898386502_66e91fc704_h.jpg

I guessed that you went for a 6mm / 1/4" radius because of the presence of the nails assembling the panels ? Well, it's what I was forced to use, by the way...

RtTnLb-P1110705.jpg

You can also see that - converesely to yours - my Heresy cabs have been unfrotunately damaged (quite badly) by the previous owners at the edges (picture above and below) :

RtTnLb-P1110703.jpg

My Makita RP0900 Router did her best with a brand new 6mm radius bit, but alas, it couldn't erase all the damages...  :(

StTnLb-P1110706.jpg

I think I will have to use some wood filler here and there... Not so nice... :(

StTnLb-P1110707.jpg

So I have a few questions :

1 - Are the cabs panels of your Heresy I nailed, like on mine ?

2 - I assumed that you used a 6mm radius bit, but maybe it was 8mm ?

3 - it seems that my Heresy I have been some sort of stained and varnished, or was it an original finish option (designated by the term HBR) : what's your opinion ?

4 - did you performed some local wood repairs on your cabs ?

Thanks to let me know,

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 - My cabinets do have nails in them. 

2 - I believe I used a 1/4 inch radius bit. 

3 - Klipsch would not have done the finish as the R in HBR stands for raw. 

4 - I had some small bits to fill or glue together. That corner you have that's damaged, was that from the router? If you have the piece, you can glue and clamp it and use a little filler and sanding when dry. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

1 - My cabinets do have nails in them. 

2 - I believe I used a 1/4 inch radius bit. 

3 - Klipsch would not have done the finish as the R in HBR stands for raw. 

4 - I had some small bits to fill or glue together. That corner you have that's damaged, was that from the router? If you have the piece, you can glue and clamp it and use a little filler and sanding when dry. 

OK, I see - Thanks @yamahaSHO

Unfotunately, the corners have been damaged in the past by schocks / bumps, probably due to mishandling or falls : the wood has been crushed and just brittled under the router bit, so there's no matching part to reglue. A hard filler repair will be required.

Cheers,

On 2/17/2021 at 8:14 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I received my grille boards in and it seems the variation between my H1's and the guy who made these is enough to be off on the mid and tweeter.  We took measurements and he's making me another set.  1334599400_Board1.thumb.jpg.e79fd9be1a3a9d7b8aa407f2f7753d63.jpg

How much were these? Can you put me in contact with the person(s) who are making these? 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, yamahaSHO said:

Klipsch would not have done the finish as the R in HBR stands for raw. 

What type of plywood are the HBRs made of? I understand it's Birch, it's 3/4" thick, and it appears to be 7 ply... but what about fillers, grade, etc etc. 

Thanks!

Edited by TexDrone
number of ply

22 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

How much were these? Can you put me in contact with the person(s) who are making these? 

I will ask the guy if he is okay with that.  He may ask you to send one of your originals.

4 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

What type of plywood are the HBRs made of? I understand it's Birch, it's 3/4" thick, and it appears to be 7 ply... but what about fillers, grade, etc etc. 

Thanks!

I can't answer that.

@TexDrone :

It seems that it is Fir plywood, covered with a thin Birch veneer, according to the answer of members in your dedicated topic on the subject.

@yamahaSHO :

Unlike your nice work, my attempt for a refinish of the edges of my Heresy I HBR ends to be very far from remarkable...   :( 

67opLb-SEPABOH2.jpg

67opLb-SEPABOH1.jpg

- The hardwood sealant is not so hard, and doesn't absorb the tint as expected...

- The poor wood itself reacts unevenly in absorbing the tint...

OK... I will pass a second - and maybe a third - coat of color locally, hoping that the result will improve and be more tint-even between edges and faces, and... Basta ! 

It's useless to waste my time to go further with those cabinets, IMHO. If I want a nice finish, I just have to build a pair of cabs from Beech glued-laminated timber, like my small "Cubes" below :

saimKb-C10.jpg

VSDwKb-finition-huile-siccative-SYNTILOR

Hq3VKb-P1100829.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

They look fine... once in a location with other furnishings, they will seem even better.

I have some cabinets from the '70s that are walnut and still look pretty good. My Heresy IIs and MWMs are black (original), and also look fine. They seem to disappear more in the room after placement, i.e., the longer they are there the less noticeable they are. 😉

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 month later...