Refinishing and upgrading Heresy 1's

yamahaSHO

On 2/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, TexDrone said:

What type of plywood are the HBRs made of? I understand it's Birch, it's 3/4" thick, and it appears to be 7 ply... but what about fillers, grade, etc etc. 

Thanks!

,  from what I recall ,  they were 3/4 plywood with a birch ply on both sides ---   

On 2/17/2021 at 8:14 PM, yamahaSHO said:

I received my grille boards in and it seems the variation between my H1's and the guy who made these is enough to be off on the mid and tweeter.  We took measurements and he's making me another set.  

What type of glue did you use to affix the grille fabric to the grille board? Do you have any tips/tricks/advice to share? thx

3 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

,  from what I recall ,  they were 3/4 plywood with a birch ply on both sides ---   

I was able to score some B/BB grade, veneer core, Baltic Birch in 3/4. The staples are showing, oh well... it gives them character... right? FWIW, the fellow who built these is an electrician by trade and this was his first attempt at building any sort of cabinets. 

PXL_20210413_195200081.jpg

PXL_20210413_195207107.jpg

PXL_20210413_195216333.jpg

PXL_20210413_195223952.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

I was able to score some B/BB grade, veneer core, Baltic Birch in 3/4. The staples are showing, oh well... it gives them character... right? FWIW, the fellow who built these is an electrician by trade and this was his first attempt at building any sort of cabinets.

Absolutely Beautiful  , there is nothing that compares to BB for quality speakers  ,it's expensive for sure  but it 's gonna sound Fantastic -

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Absolutely Beautiful  , there is nothing that compares to BB for quality speakers  ,it's expensive for sure  but it 's gonna sound Fantastic -

Thanks Randy, I will pass that compliment along. I already showed him some drawings for the La Scala and he is ready to try it. 

I bought the plywood in 5x5 sheets for about $45 per sheet, that was six weeks ago. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

Does that mean BB on both sides? Or B on both sides? I asked about B/B (no footballs on either side) but they did not have any where I went.

did you ever ask for APPLEPLY -  4X8

image.jpeg.d2dfecf7ae5f159189cee81ceabdacce.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

Does that mean BB on both sides? Or B on both sides? I asked about B/B (no footballs on either side) but they did not have any where I went.

Have not been inside but BB with no veneer, unless am having my eyes deceive me.

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

did you ever ask for APPLEPLY -  4X8

image.jpeg.d2dfecf7ae5f159189cee81ceabdacce.jpeg

I did not. I just asked for the best quality veneer core. I showed them what I was trying to duplicate and this was the best they had. I need to go to some of the other local lumber yards. 

Just now, TexDrone said:

I guess I would have to see it. Is it just solid lumber?

To my eyes yes. Maybe I should just post the numbers on them since I do not know the year they were made. They are not the decorator type though.

6 minutes ago, TexDrone said:

I did not. I just asked for the best quality veneer core. I showed them what I was trying to duplicate and this was the best they had. I need to go to some of the other local lumber yards. 

Appleply is Made in the USA ----- 4 x 8 sheets is the standard size - 13 ply-- whereas BB is available in 5X5  or 4x8   -also 13 ply  --

4 hours ago, TexDrone said:

What type of glue did you use to affix the grille fabric to the grille board? Do you have any tips/tricks/advice to share? thx

I have the new boards in... I had him cut two sets.  One is Masonite and the other is 1/4" MDF (with veneer on both sides).  I think I am going to do the MDF as I like the thicker board and will be more like the current Heresy's where the grilles stick out a little.  That said, I bought a staple gun and some 1/8" staples.  I tested on some spare wood with my grille material and I think this will be perfect.  I need to attach the magnets and then paint the boards black, then I can wrap.  I will have to measure and make marks to ensure I keep the lines straight on the material.  If they are not straight, it will be noticeable.  I may try to get this done this weekend...  Currently working on a lot of projects.  Spring brings energy.

The guy who made my grille boards is doing another one for my center channel/mantle speaker as well.  Also with 1/4" MDF.  I am looking forward to that over what I did because he's got a CNC for this stuff.

4 hours ago, TexDrone said:

PXL_20210413_195200081.jpg

PXL_20210413_195207107.jpg

PXL_20210413_195216333.jpg

PXL_20210413_195223952.jpg

Looks good from the pictures!

19 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I have the new boards in... I had him cut two sets.  One is Masonite and the other is 1/4" MDF (with veneer on both sides).  I think I am going to do the MDF as I like the thicker board and will be more like the current Heresy's where the grilles stick out a little.  That said, I bought a staple gun and some 1/8" staples.  I tested on some spare wood with my grille material and I think this will be perfect. 

I am curious how the staples work out for you. I bought some material from Crites to put over the Masonite boards. I have looked at some other H1 grilles and the cloth appears to be glued on. My H3s almost look like they used a super strong double side tape.