Popping sound from Speakers

Klive

Recently purchased Home Theatre Ref Pack 5.1 and getting speaker popping sound from them.. Have confirmed all speaker wire connections are good.  I have installed, reset and re-installed all speakers... also re-installed old Klipsch Quintet IV's and no audio pop heard..please help, thx

Perhaps a few basic considerations on the subject of clipping behavior.

When bass drivers are driven at higher levels, the excursion of the diaphragm logically increases. A distinction is made between linear and maximum possible excursion. The linear excursion describes the condition with acceptable distortions. If the diaphragm is deflected further, we are in the non-linear range, i.e. the voice coil then leaves the linear range of the magnetic field.

On the one hand the distortion increases, on the other hand the dynamic impedance of the driver collapses due to the missing "core effect" of the middle pole piece and the current in the coil increases significantly.

The consequence of this is that the diaphragm is further and above all uncontrolled deflected and then at some point comes into the range "stop". Nowadays, however, good drivers are designed in such a way that the voice coil former can no longer strike the rear pole plate. Rather, the centering spider and the surround go to the stop, i.e. full extension. A similar noise is audible, which occurs when a sheet of paper is jerked. Not unlike a banging noise.

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

When does it happen?  How frequently?  Does it only happen when listening to something through them or does it happen even if there's no audio going to them?  Is it coming from each speaker?

It happens when listening to movies. no matter the source.  I run all connections thru my A/V Receiver.  Never had an issue w/my old Quintet set.  I actually re-installed them and no issue present.  Pop happens roughly every 15-30 minutes while watching movies.  Also, receiver put on Mute and Pop still occurs!!! Multiple speakers.  thx for your help

I thought once I had speakers popping and someone told me speakers don’t pop and I then realized it was my old Marantz receiver popping. I had just put speakers on it that required more wattage and the Marantz’s old transistors were popping due to age causing voltage spiking across them. Probably not what you’re experiencing, but I thought it could help you look at other things to figure what’s causing your popping. I hope you figure what’s causing it and repair it.

1 hour ago, soundbound said:

I thought once I had speakers popping and someone told me speakers don’t pop and I then realized it was my old Marantz receiver popping. I had just put speakers on it that required more wattage and the Marantz’s old transistors were popping due to age causing voltage spiking across them. Probably not what you’re experiencing, but I thought it could help you look at other things to figure what’s causing your popping. I hope you figure what’s causing it and repair it.

Thank you for the info but my receiver is only a year old, Sony STR-DN1080 and worked great with my old Quintet IVs

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful tips and input. I finally isolated the problem after many days of trouble shooting, aka googling and read on some forums that my mini fridge in my mini bar inside my Bat Cave was triggering the popping/crackle in my system. Every time the fridges compressor came on/off it would cause the pop. I was not aware of fridge since I played my movies at loud volumes. Either way hope this helps everyone else who comes across this issue. Now I have to either move my fridge to another room, bummer or unplug/set temp at zero when using AV System...

Edited by Klive
  • Like 3