KLF 30 refinish Project

Iteachstem

I traded for these KLF30's (That was a nightmare, but that's a different story!)  The cabinets were pretty scratched, with multiple blemishes on both cabinets and they had water damage at the bottom.  I pulled all of the drivers and got to work.  Patched, sanded and refinished.  I fabricated custom risers for the bottom.  I was going to pull the bottom panels, but the inside seals were still decent, so I chose to beef up the cabinet and build a base that wouldn't look too odd.  Enjoy the pictures.

Original speakers:

image0.jpeg.dd661a10a520df85f7de6900d839ccfa.jpeg

image1.jpeg.6a56dc50bed874e07e5891511adbb09b.jpeg

image9.jpeg.7cdcb730a6bb8b4ffc657909d1cf5d50.jpeg

image10.jpeg.b86c3d30d8b79d3aa7c39a27b7f4fae0.jpeg

Sanding:

image8.jpeg.201d86910e9d16c2159459194f0b229a.jpeg

image11.jpeg.45535a944e88593eb17c3d4d6e3cf951.jpeg

Added front to back Bracing:

brace.jpeg.fe94295676c525cb59162170db25d5f5.jpeg

Stain:

image6.jpeg.2ec19a824a26a433b29fd111cfc1f1b9.jpeg

Beefing up the bottoms:

image17.jpeg.49d9aea2260555746f72ed070e4621d7.jpeg

The final Product!

image14.jpeg.9318ae69e84b85ebaf6ff0b6e52e7420.jpeg

image15.jpeg.30fbceb05666673887880e6db83ca74c.jpeg

image8.jpeg.ad82a725d735011dfd3427b990b54a9e.jpeg

image3.jpeg.411f5fda243c3c131c7afae100dbab9b.jpeg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

Can you tell us how you got through the black finish? 

I start with 120 on a quarter sheet palm sander.  Then 220 when I get through the black mess.  Then a light 320 to get rid of any swirl marks.  Just be careful not to use a lot of pressure the last little bit as you don't want to burn through the thin layer of veneer.  I know a lot of people like to use lacquer thinner to remove the finish, but I don't like to use harsh chemicals... I already put my body though enough back in college!  I think if you search through my older posts there are pictures.

I'd say bring them over with a nice bottle of wine or bourbon, and I'd do it for you, but I think that's a little far of a drive!!!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 1:05 AM, yamahaSHO said:

Those look fantastic!

Thanks.  It was the most involved refinish project to date as they were very rough when I received them.  I like the challenge and being able to bring these old Klipsch speakers back to life.  I usually put them up against my current speakers I have and see which one(s) I like best.  Then, I'll offer the one with my lowest score up for sale for someone else to appreciate. Here they are in my latest listening comparison session.  A friend who has purchased several of my refinished speakers was in on this "listen-off" and he looked them up online and then offered me $1200 on the spot.  I told him not at the moment...and then I told him I was a bit insulted, as the ones he looked up on eBay are going for $1500 and $1800 and mine appear to be in better condition!!!  He said no insult intended, he was just figuring in the friend price!!!

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrinLaunch

image0.jpeg

7 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I start with 120 on a quarter sheet palm sander.  Then 220 when I get through the black mess.  Then a light 320 to get rid of any swirl marks.  Just be careful not to use a lot of pressure the last little bit as you don't want to burn through the then layer of veneer.  I know a lot of people like to use lacquer thinner to remove the finish, but I don't like to use harsh chemicals... I already put my body though enough back in college!  I think if you search through my older posts there are pictures.

I'd say bring them over with a nice bottle of wine or bourbon, and I'd do it for you, but I think that's a little far of a drive!!!

I was a mechanic for several years before I went back to school to get my engineering BS, so I completely agree with not wanting to use chemicals anymore. My hands are finally not so callous, cracked and dry.

I'm really tempted to try it since your instructions seem so straightforward and doable, I have a everything you mention. And thanks for the offer, like you said, a bit much of a drive but a nice single malt sounds like a good deal!

3 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

I was a mechanic for several years before I went back to school to get my engineering BS, so I completely agree with not wanting to use chemicals anymore. My hands are finally not so callous, cracked and dry.

I'm really tempted to try it since your instructions seem so straightforward and doable, I have a everything you mention. And thanks for the offer, like you said, a bit much of a drive but a nice single malt sounds like a good deal!

Might I suggest you start on the bottom of the speakers?  That way if you have an issue, it won't be visible.

• Like 1

Great Job-  they look really nice.  I think the way the residual black makes the grain stand out makes up for the fact that they aren't book matched. The base sets them off nicely too.  If you don't want to go the harsh chemical route, citrus-strip isn't too bad and is reasonably effective.  You can use it inside, just don't expect miracles from it.  Apply, cover in plastic wrap and let set for an hour then scrape with a good sharp cabinet scraper.  It will save you some wear on the veneer though which is the biggest worry with a project like this-  and a few doze sheets of sandpaper.  

• Thanks 1