Cornwall III vs Cornwall IV

Dazman63

I went to a dealer today and listened to the Heresy IV and was impressed with the sound. The dealer only had the Cornwall III and said he would sell them for $3,800 Canadian before tax. The Cornwall IV can be had for $6,000.00 Canadian a pair.  The Cornwall III seemed to have a bigger soundstage.

Has anyone auditioned both Cornwalls? Opinions?

Thanks

Edited by Dazman63

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Cornwall III is good. Cornwall IV is definitely better. $2200 Canadian better? Only you can judge. 

- Greg

That’s the issue, not being able to A/B them. Would the Forte IVs be a good comparison due to the similar drivers also used on the Cornwall IVs?

6 minutes ago, Dazman63 said:

That’s the issue, not being able to A/B them. Would the Forte IVs be a good comparison due to the similar drivers also used on the Cornwall IVs?

Well since the forte IVs are currently made out of unobtanium, I doubt that comparison will happen for a while.......

7 hours ago, Dazman63 said:

We compared latest vs. previous models of Cornwall, Forte, and Heresy; October 2019 at the Bonehead Class. Of all of these, only one stood out clearly above all of the others: Cornwall IV.

Its midrange clarity and timbre were among the best I've heard anywhere.

In My Humble Opinion.

• Like 2

We compared latest vs. previous models of Cornwall, Forte, and Heresy; October 2019 at the Bonehead Class. Of all of these, only one stood out clearly above all of the others: Cornwall IV.

Its midrange clarity and timbre was among the best I've heard anywhere.

In My Humble Opinion.

I think I'm right there with you. When I demoed them last winter at a local Klipsch dealer I was totally impressed. They were smooth and did everything right. All the typical Klipsch criticisms were out the window.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Edgar said:

Its midrange clarity and timbre was among the best I've heard anywhere.

In My Humble Opinion.

Wow. Edgar is one of the smartest people I know on this stuff, that's a pretty strong endorsement right there. 

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Wow. Edgar is one of the smartest people I know on this stuff, that's a pretty strong endorsement right there. 

:blush:

Well, it doesn't take a lot of gray matter to learn to listen critically. But thanks.

10 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Here is a good place to read about our comparisons at the Chief Bonehead Class and I would strongly encourage attending one of these events in the future if anyone is able and interested. 

miketn 

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

@Dazman63, I think I saw your post about these on Canuckaudiomart, if so I am sure the good people here would love to hear your impressions on your purchase.

...that is, if you can pull yourself away from them before you have gone through your entire music library!

The Cornwall IV is the stuff dreams are made of!

3 hours ago, geoff. said:

@Dazman63, I think I saw your post about these on Canuckaudiomart, if so I am sure the good people here would love to hear your impressions on your purchase.

...that is, if you can pull yourself away from them before you have gone through your entire music library!

The Cornwall IV is the stuff dreams are made of!

I never made a post on Canuckaudiomart. Will have see if I can find it.

Just did a search for the thread and found it. Not mine, but will be reading up on it. Thanks!

Edited by Dazman63
Found thread.

If I had Cornwall 1 or 2 (on CWIII there is not enough space 😪 ), I would have tried to mount a horn like this one with a Faital Pro or BMS driver. I think there is room and even to put the K79 on top.

http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-3220.pdf

or

http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-4220.pdf

And to stay on topic, it is because there is not enough room on CWIII to mount the K702 (or equivalent).

For the difference between CWIII and CWIV, I notice that apart from the demo at Klipsch with Chef Bonehead, no one has listened to CWIII against CWIV in the auditorium or at home. It's a shame, because I would like to have this opinion.

😀

32 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

If I had Cornwall 1 or 2, I would have tried to mount a horn like this one with a Faital Pro or BMS driver. I think there is room and even to put the K79 on top.

http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-3220.pdf

or

http://www.paudiothailand.com/uploads/pdf/products/PH-4220.pdf

And to stay on topic, it is because there is not enough room on CWIII to mount the K702 (or equivalent).

For the difference between CWIII and CWIV, I notice that apart from the demo at Klipsch with Chef Bonehead, no one has listened to CWIII against CWIV in the auditorium or at home. It's a shame, because I would like to have this opinion.

😀

There are likely several wood shops in town that would make you some cabinets to play with. Suggest inexpensive plywood and removable motor board, so you can experiment. Sounds good on paper vs sounds good. Lots of designs for wood cabinets have been out since the 1950s, math hasn't changed. The reason Klipsch is here and so many others are gone, is that PK understood declining marginal returns on his products.

Chasing the last 1% of improvement is what we do, cost is the limiting factor

• Like 1