1977 La Scala Question

JMeader

Simple question

How was the Dog House attached to the plywood box in the 1967 La Scala's

My guess is that they were only glued and not screwed.

My  recently acquired 43 year old La Scala's were severally abused as in a stage speaker or even a bar room speaker.

My plan is to put ½ inch MDF on all exterior box areas, except the Dog House. This will provide a additional sound damping and a clean even space to apply a furniture quality veneer.

Is there any advantage to screw in the dog house from the bottom if it was only glued

Thanks

• Like 1

They were glued and nailed.  Looks like with a nail gun, and then the holes were filled where visible from the outside. 

I don't suppose it would hurt, but adding material to the outside is not needed on the back, top and bottom.  Those areas are already braced with various bits so that any unbraced length is quite short. 

Inspect thoroughly to see what they need; I'll guess only cosmetic repair.  If the doghouse/woofer chamber has separated, adding a little glue and screws to pull the edges together would be good.  It won't hurt to drizzle some thinned wood glue along the inside seams of the woofer chamber to ensure they remain sealed.  While you're in there, snug up the woofer bolts. 

• Like 4

Thank You  JohnA

Right now the two speakers sound very good so assume that they are still tight from a structural standpoint.

One speaker does have  a big gouge  on the dog house nose which could be comprised so  I will fill and sand before it gets veneered. 

I will be updating all the components with Bob Crites products given their age and probably abuse. So when I pull all the parts will definitely add some wood glue to all the interior seams .

Thank You for the info on the top, bottom and back side panels. I will probably use ¼ inch on those areas just to get a smooth surface for the veneer

Thank You again for sharing your knowledge

On 12/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, JMeader said:

Is there any advantage to screw in the dog house from the bottom if it was only glued

Thanks

,  my 80's LSI , have a screwed  in panel  for the bottom dog house door , if this is your question , as far as the exterior dog house panels and all the rest of the speakers panels , these are brads -

33 minutes ago, JMeader said:

One speaker does have  a big gouge  on the dog house nose which could be comprised so  I will fill and sand before it gets veneered. 

I will be updating all the components with Bob Crites products given their age and probably abuse. So when I pull all the parts will definitely add some wood glue to all the interior seams .

Show a pic of the gouge on the nose for advice if want...

My 1974 La Scalas were nailed together, and you can see the nail holes all the way along either side.  Appearance was nearly as important as improved sound when I got the La Scala IIs, which are much better looking.  Now the '74s are behind the sofa, where their home-built-in-the-garage look is less obvious.

Also, when listening in 9/All Channel Stereo at very low volume, their nearness (4 feet from each ear, due to having a baseboard heater on one side and a wood stove on the other), makes them seem a little louder than the front speakers, so they become a pair of huge, super-comfortable headphones that I can't even feel.  Nice unexpected benefit.

Good luck with your project.  You're doing all the good things.  Maybe consider upgrading the tweeters to Bob Crites's CT120s.  Also, if you can reduce the squawker output, it will take away the "shoutiness" you may have noticed.

5 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Please post a photo showing the nail holes.

Okay, but it may take me a while.  I’ve been in low energy mode lately.  I want to dial in my subs, but I feel guilty if I’m not doing Christmas prep right now.  I’ve still got shopping to do, never mind packing and posting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am a fanboy for wood. A 4 x 8’ sheet of hardwood veneer should do one. Got real good at flush sanding edges in my horn building days. 

Doubt if as nice as LS II, but good enough. Used to get the veneer for around 70.00 a sheet in oak, walnut, cherry, or maple. All looked awesome with a clear finish.

Might even try Howard Wax and Feed on sanded raw wood. Like the glow and grain with waxed wood.