AwwwwYEAH!!!! Matching Heresy LCR finally!

wuzzzer

FINALLY!! After being on the hunt for at least one 1980-82 Heresy with a soldered midrange I came across a pair on Ebay.  Made a lowball offer and it was accepted!!  I just picked them up.  Drove about two hours one way.  One has its original box.  Lady purchased them new when she was in college from a place in Wisconsin.

Anyway, I'll finally have a matching LCR!!

The speakers were raw birch and they were stained nicely.  Can't wait to get them home!!!!!!

• Like 12

FINALLY!! After being on the hunt for at least one 1980-82 Heresy with a soldered midrange I came across a pair on Ebay.  Made a lowball offer and it was accepted!!  I just picked them up.  Drove about two hours one way.  One has its original box.  Lady purchased them new when she was in college from a place in Wisconsin.
Anyway, I'll finally have a matching LCR!!
The speakers were raw birch and they were stained nicely.  Can't wait to get them home!!!!!!

No pics, didn’t happen [emoji6] Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

No pics, didn’t happen emoji6.png Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only pic so far.  Gotta head to work unfortunately.

Thinking I'm going to keep this pair as mains and sell off one of my black Heresys and use the other as my center. 

The seller was a lady who bought them new in 1980 when she was in college!  Super nice lady who is moving to a smaller place after being at her current house for 25 years. 

She said one of her friends used to have Khorns and she thought they sounded amazing.

Screenshot_20201219-161837_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Well, they'll definitely need some crossover work.  Hooked them both up and the left speaker was playing about 50% louder than the right.  I had the volume fairly low and when I turned it up then the right speaker evened out with the left.  I haven't opened them up yet but assuming they have the same Type E networks that my 81s have I'll just swap networks for now since the 81s have new caps.  I'll do that tomorrow when I have some time.

All the drivers work, though, so that's good. 

I think whatever configuration I decide on I'm going to keep the orphan speaker so if/when I sell or upgrade I'll have a pair instead of a single. 

Screenshot_20201219-220523_Gallery.jpg

Well I put one of my recapped networks in one of the new speakers.  A/B'd with the factory network.  No comparison.  Everything about the recapped network sounds better.  I'll do the other one tonight after work. 

I did notice that there wasn't any gasket material around the back of the cabinet when I took the back off.  My black ones have gasket material.  Which way did they come from the factory?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I did notice that there wasn't any gasket material around the back of the cabinet when I took the back off.  My black ones have gasket material.  Which way did they come from the factory?

they had no gaskets from the factory on the rear panel or the woofer-mids-tweeter -

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

they had no gaskets from the factory on the rear panel or the woofer-mids-tweeter -

Thanks.  My black H1s have components from 1981 in cabinets from 1985 so I didn't know if they were added later.

Would it be a good idea to add gaskets under the back panel?

Man I could never bring myself to recommend anybody even my worst enemy to seal their cabinets permanently shut with silicone glue. Sorry to disagree with you but that is a very shortsighted and totally unnecessary piece of advice imo. All the same I know you mean the best so have a very happy christmas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Moray - silicone gasket   --Regards

ok that is a horse of a different color. I have no problem with that. I still think that a thin closed cell like window draft foam gasket is the best least expensive option and it compresses down o a thin and effective seal. If you have thin rubber gasket and the price is right that would be just as good.

Sorry if I jumped the gun as I did not realize you meant a gasket. I see so may times people recommending using silicon glue to seal removable cabinet baffles and to install drivers and horns and it makes them impossible to remove. Thanks for letting me know. Happy Klipschmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moray james said:

I still think that a thin closed cell like window draft foam gasket is the best least expensive option and it compresses down o a thin and effective seal.

It appears that that is the material that's in my other Heresys. 

• Like 1