Intro and advice on pricing for newbie

Unblind

I have been lurking about here off and on, considering getting nicer sounding speakers and have ultimately landed here, knowing that I am set on Klipsch.

Mainly interested in the classic versions (before the onset of copper woofers)

So I have a friend of a friend that needs to get rid of a few speakers.

Apparently his wife is dead set on rearranging his family room and wants his old speakers gone. (So she can get a new Tv and streamlined soundbar/sub). 

He bought them new in the mid-nineties and He wants to sell everything as a package deal.

-Pair of Forte II (natural oak)

-Pair of KM2 (black)

-One KV2 center (black)

-One Definitive Technology 10" sub

All in very good to excellent shape apparently.

I'm going to audition them soon and want to know where pricing "should" be without insulting him. He has had them for 25 yrs as part of his household.

Prices on the 'bay site all seem inflated compared to dealing with individuals locally.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Unblind
  • Like 1

pretty good estimate on pricing above.. but anything close to $1k for forte or forte2 is overpriced IMO,  but is what many people are selling & apparently buying them for recently due to the high prices of the new forte3 & other current heritage speakers.  forte/2 are still out there for $500-$600 in good condition.. just gotta a be quick on the draw when they show up or you will see them on ebay & CL for $1000+. & a KV2 is pretty small & i see them for closer to $25-$40, probably not a very good match to fortes, they were made to match the smaller KG series speakers. 

as for the def tech sub, need to know what model it is, many of their subs are lower end models & not worth much & just like too many klipsch subs, they can has issues with the amplifiers dying & replacements are not available, gotta pay to have them repaired. but they do make some decent models that if working ok are pretty nice subs, mainly the supercube 1/2 or reference or trinity models, but the last 2 are very hard to find & expensive.    

Looks like a $900 should be about right for a friend package deal.

This for what is mentioned and in good working condition.

For a good friend and chum less 800.

For Fortes by themself, maybe $600 if nice.

Location and friendship apply 

Besides, your doing him and his wife a favor.

Other consideration is, do you want them?

How much?

In order to keep a friend or neighbor, may be best to get an idea from seller.

He may need to put an ad on Craigslist to see if too much.

Edited by billybob

On 12/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, Unblind said:

I have been lurking about here off and on, considering getting nicer sounding speakers and have ultimately landed here, knowing that I am set on Klipsch.

Mainly interested in the classic versions (before the onset of copper woofers)

So I have a friend of a friend that needs to get rid of a few speakers.

Apparently his wife is dead set on rearranging his family room and wants his old speakers gone. (So she can get a new Tv and streamlined soundbar/sub). 

He bought them new in the mid-nineties and He wants to sell everything as a package deal.

-Pair of Forte II (natural oak)

-Pair of KM2 (black)

-One KV2 center (black)

-One Definitive Technology 10" sub

All in very good to excellent shape apparently.

I'm going to audition them soon and want to know where pricing "should" be without insulting him. He has had them for 25 yrs as part of his household.

Prices on the 'bay site all seem inflated compared to dealing with individuals locally.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

I would say about 1000$ , you can post the items on the GARAGE SALE section ----there are no fees to post sell etc ----GLWS

5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I would say about 1000$ , you can post the items on the GARAGE SALE section ----there are no fees to post sell etc ----GLWS

I realize that when someone has "a friend" story they usually mean themselves. 

But in this case it's a friend of mine's friend, I don't really know the fellow.

No need to call BS 

9 minutes ago, Unblind said:

I realize that when someone has "a friend" story they usually mean themselves. 

But in this case it's a friend of mine's friend, I don't really know the fellow.

No need to call BS 

I doubt Randy was calling you out.  Probably just pointing out that there's a Garage Sale section for anyone to sell in.

If he was that would surprise me.  Randy is a valued member of this forum. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I would say about 1000$

1000$ should be a great deal imho  -Forte II are definitely worth 800$ on their own in 2020 , as prices are now higher overall  ,  the rest of the gear 2-300$ -----1000$ for the package deal sounds fair to me if the gear is in great condition -

• Like 1

Forte 2 s are highly desirable, going rate is $500, 600 mint

The rest you would have to give away to sell it

$600 for everything

And they don't have a bunch of strangers in their home, who will only want individual speakers, after multiple auditions.

I would keep the Fortes about 10-13 ft apart, and ditch the rest ASAP

Mediocre surround, or killer stereo

• Like 1