True front LCR - why did it take me so long??

wuzzzer

So tonight I finally got my new to me 1980 Heresys set up as the front mains and set up one of my 1981 Heresys as the center.  I have to do some component and TV stand rearranging yet so for right now the center Heresy is just sitting in front of my TV stand, angled up. 

For reference, last year I tried an Academy as a center.  To bring it "up to date" I replaced the tweeter diaphragm with a titanium one and replaced the capacitors with Sonicaps.  I listened to it stock, with just the new tweeter diaphragm and with the new caps.  Everyone always raves about how great the Academy is.  I tried to love it.  Nope.  I tried to like it.  Nope.  I tried to tolerate it.  Still nope.  I sold it.  It just sounded too flat compared to my Heresys.  There wasn't any life to it in comparison. 

So, with fingers crossed, I fired everything up with my first true LCR.  And my oh my.  This.  Is.  It.  Watched a few minutes of Star Wars IX.  Now I have the Eagles Farewell Blu-Ray in.  Really, really wishing I would have set everything up so I could turn it up louder but my wife is trying to sleep.  But what I'm hearing is absolutely perfect.  The wall of sound in front of me is seamless as the instruments and vocals share the stage.  

Anyway, I guess my point is, for everyone out there who has never tried a true LCR front stage - DO IT.  Do it if it means rearranging your TV stand.  Do it if you don't think you have the room.  Do it if you have a "traditional" center speaker and think it's 'good enough.'

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences in this area. 

Screenshot_20201220-231147_Photos.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations on Your new set-up, looks great! I can´t wait to get my Heresys running... But for that, i have to change my to change my hifi-rack as well so i can fit those in. I will build my own rack as my next project, already have the wood panels standing in the other room.

Planing on using my HEs for stereo only.

So, what´s next? Still lots of space in that picture. ^^

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

Glad it turned out well. A matching center really does make a huge difference. I always chuckle a little when a phantom center is recommended over a matching center. Might as well get one more Heresy for a 5 channel rig.

I've always recommended a phantom center over a non-matching center. 

Yeah my first thought was why did I sell the Heresy IIs that I had last year??  But, I do love my RS-7 surrounds. 

28 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Planing on using my HEs for stereo only.

So, what´s next? Still lots of space in that picture. ^^

I'm going to spread everything out so it isn't so jammed together.  This was just temporary placement to test everything. 

Some day I'd love to replace my SVS subs with a pair of horn subs.  I certainly have the room!  😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I've always recommended a phantom center over a non-matching center. 

Yeah my first thought was why did I sell the Heresy IIs that I had last year??  But, I do love my RS-7 surrounds. 

Yea a non matching center can be a problem, especially if it's not a good speaker, and a phantom has it's advantages. But a matching LCR is hard to beat. Those are great surrounds, and much easier to place than using a Heresy.

• Like 2

This is what I have been preaching for years there is nothing like three identical matching speakers across the front.  The knuckleheads that post recommending total mismatched speakers all the time drives me nuts and tells me that they dont know &*it.  I even stepped down from Klipschorn's so I could have three matching La Scala's up front.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

This is what I have been preaching for years there is nothing like three identical matching speakers across the front.  The knuckleheads that post recommending total mismatched speakers all the time drives me nuts and tells me that they dont know &*it.  I even stepped down from Klipschorn's so I could have three matching La Scala's up front.

I remember a while back someone on the forum had Klipschorn mains with something like a KV2 center.  🙄