New System Receiver Question

DTKoolaid

So I just decided to update/upgrade and went with R620F towers, R-34-C center, R-41PM, surrounds and R-41 height speakers. Along with the 12" reference sub with possibly getting a 2nd one. For a receiver I went with the Denon S750H. My question is about the receiver. Is that enough power? Do I need more continuous watts? Other than the research I've done over the last few days I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Welcome, that's a nice system you picked out. That Denon should have no problem at all powering those speakers, it's rated at 165x7. A 2nd sub would definitely help out, especially if it's a large room.

So I'm not sure what to do for my 2nd sub. I'd love to have it in the back of the room but running the wire is pretty much out of the question. And where my TV is there isn't enough space unless I get a new entertainment stand. Not out of the question but would prefer not to. How are those wireless sub converters? If wireless wasn't gonna lose performance that would be perfect, but I can't find a ton of info on them.

2 minutes ago, DTKoolaid said:

So I'm not sure what to do for my 2nd sub. I'd love to have it in the back of the room but running the wire is pretty much out of the question. And where my TV is there isn't enough space unless I get a new entertainment stand. Not out of the question but would prefer not to. How are those wireless sub converters? If wireless wasn't gonna lose performance that would be perfect, but I can't find a ton of info on them.

I haven't heard of many complaints about the wireless sub connectors, but I'm not sure how they sound. I'm sure someone will be along with more info. 

16 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I haven't heard of many complaints about the wireless sub connectors, but I'm not sure how they sound. I'm sure someone will be along with more info. 

Depends on if the rf signal is analog or digital

each has it's own set of issues.

Likely digital, perhaps p to p Blutooth ?

You have added two AD DA conversions assuming they pass the full spectrum.

Just sub perhaps they only sample 20-200 and throw everything else away.

No experience with wireless subs. 

You receiver looks like it should do OK - you can't run 165W*7 as the somewhat deceptive marketing name suggests. From the Denon website:

"Denon AVR-S750H 7.2 channel full 4K Ultra HD AV receiver with 165W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven)"

Note the 165W is with a 6 Ohm speaker, 10% Total Harmonic Distortion and 1 channel driven. 

Additional spec from Denon:

"Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)75 W" - this is more inline with what you can expect. 75W may or may not be a bit light for the speakers seeing you will be running all 7 channels.

I sure wish receiver manufacturers would clean up the way they present their receivers power. 

• Like 3

There was a situation like that back in the Seventies, and the FCC finally cracked down on the receiver/amplifier manufacturers.  The new law required them to publish the power into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz at low distortion.

The problem is that the law applies to 2-channel stereo units, not the newer multi-channel ones, so it’s still the Wild West for them.

2 hours ago, DTKoolaid said:

Seems I'm a bit of an idiot. I did not realize that the R-41PMs were powered speakers. It doesn't look like there is an easy way if at all to run them with a 5.2.2 setup! Looks like I'll be sending these back lol.

Welcome to the forum! No biggie...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTKoolaid said:

Seems I'm a bit of an idiot. I did not realize that the R-41PMs were powered speakers. It doesn't look like there is an easy way if at all to run them with a 5.2.2 setup! Looks like I'll be sending these back lol.

Sorry....one of us should've noticed the Powered Monitor and inquired about using them. Do you have any of this gear yet, up and running?

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Sorry....one of us should've noticed the Powered Monitor and inquired about using them. Do you have any of this gear yet, up and running?

Just finished hooking everything up besides the rears obviously. Gonna exchange the rears, order my 2nd sub,  and calibrate everything tomorrow hopefully. Still not 100% sure about the sub. Thinking of going with the R-12SWi, just so I have the option to go wireless If I have to. 

• Like 1

I finally got done hooking everything up and calibrating it. I'm still waiting on my 2nd sub and rear surround speakers(used my old sonys for now) and I also haven't mounted my atmos speakers yet so I have them set on top of the floor speakers. With that being said, I'm still blown away with how much better it sounds than my old 5.1 setup.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DTKoolaid said:

I finally got done hooking everything up and calibrating it. I'm still waiting on my 2nd sub and rear surround speakers(used my old sonys for now) and I also haven't mounted my atmos speakers yet so I have them set on top of the floor speakers. With that being said, I'm still blown away with how much better it sounds than my old 5.1 setup.

Awesome.....it's nice when it all comes together, and it will only get better when you add the rest of the gear.

So I ran the assisted calibration and it set them anywhere from +.5 for the atmos speakers to -9 for the center speaker. Is it normal to have such a wide range? Also, should I set the crossover at 80 for all or go with the individual. It set them at 40hz for fronts, 180hz for center, 60hz for surrounds, and 150hz for atmos. Is hertz something I should just play around with or is having them all set the same have some great effect? And should I always just leave the LPF for LFE on 120hz, even if I have all the other crossovers set at 80hz? Sorry been trying to do some research but I get some conflicting answers. I'm probably over complicating things, but since I've never done any of this I'm constantly doubting everything lol.

10 hours ago, DTKoolaid said:

So I ran the assisted calibration and it set them anywhere from +.5 for the atmos speakers to -9 for the center speaker. Is it normal to have such a wide range? Also, should I set the crossover at 80 for all or go with the individual. It set them at 40hz for fronts, 180hz for center, 60hz for surrounds, and 150hz for atmos. Is hertz something I should just play around with or is having them all set the same have some great effect? And should I always just leave the LPF for LFE on 120hz, even if I have all the other crossovers set at 80hz? Sorry been trying to do some research but I get some conflicting answers. I'm probably over complicating things, but since I've never done any of this I'm constantly doubting everything lol.

MC

Working on my first coffee this AM.

I would roll with the defaults for a couple of weeks and note what you like, and don't like in the sound quality, peaks etc.

Select  movies with a good sound track as your REFERENCE track, use it when you make manual adjustments. Select a chapter or two you like, and adjust and test.....

More Brilliance from COMPOSER: BASIL POLEDOURIS

Apparently this one is out on 4K

Movie Makers and theaters have drifted to "way too loud" over the years, and many sound tracks are in this mode.

I used the manual adjustment to increase the volume on the Center Channel so it's easy to hear the voices at reasonable volume.

My Pioneer has a peak limiter setting I feel forced to use as I am fatiguing from reaching for the volume control during movies. An HK AVR that I picked up for change has a button on the front labeled "night" which attenuates the peaks.

The receiver manufacturers know what the issues are, and at least two of the ones I own have built in solutions for over the top peak volumes.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:23 PM, Ceptorman said:

Welcome, that's a nice system you picked out. That Denon should have no problem at all powering those speakers, it's rated at 165x7. A 2nd sub would definitely help out, especially if it's a large room.

Really? Their site says this:

Specifications

Number of Power Amps 7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 75 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 110 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

165 W

I'm only asking because I have a similar model (Yamaha RX-A780) which seems to be rated for 110W per 2channels driven as well.  I believe you only get 165W if you were to only drive one channel.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, scythe944 said:

Specifications

Number of Power Amps 7

165 W

I'm only asking because I have a similar model (Yamaha RX-A780) which seems to be rated for 110W per 2channels driven as well.  I believe you only get 165W if you were to only drive one channel.

Good catch on that Yamaha, and they don't spec the channels if you are running LCR and 2 rear surrounds, or anything else that is close to reality.

4 hours ago, scythe944 said:

Specifications

Number of Power Amps 7

165 W

You are correct. Kind of misleading the way some spec sheets are shown.