New System Receiver Question

DTKoolaid

7 hours ago, scythe944 said:

I believe you only get 165W if you were to only drive one channel.

Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

165 W

At 6 ohm at 1 kHz at 10%THD with 1 channel driven

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Kind of misleading the way some spec sheets are shown. 

I'd say so.

Bill

11 hours ago, scythe944 said:

Really? Their site says this:

Specifications

Number of Power Amps 7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 75 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 110 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)

165 W

I'm only asking because I have a similar model (Yamaha RX-A780) which seems to be rated for 110W per 2channels driven as well.  I believe you only get 165W if you were to only drive one channel.

I mentioned this in my post earlier in the thread - around post #6. The subsequent post addresses some the "Why" the specs are like this.

The bottom line is all receiver manufacturers are less than clear with their specs. I think our eyes tend to see the big number and that is all we see - all marketing.

The 165W mentioned is not really applicable(obtainable) here as that spec is on a 6 Ohm load at 10%THD. OP has 8 Ohm speakers and doubt they would be happy with 10%THD. You see fast the drop-off in power when the specs you listed go from 165W to 110W - add 1 more channel at 0.7%THD. So, the big numbers are usually very misleading.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, was just reaffirming what I thought I knew. I totally understand that most home theater speakers are rated at 8ohm and car speakers are usually 4ohm.  In order to reach a 4 ohm rating for a home theater speaker, you'd need to bridge two channels into one, thus halving the resistance and doubling power, but some amps can't handle that sort of load, so you have to be careful with that.

At any rate, I was just on here looking around for speaker setups and gathering info, didn't mean to get the post too off-topic.  Thanks again!

• Like 1